NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where to get 6 banger fuel pump?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to get 6 banger fuel pump?
    Posted: April-23-2008 at 3:38am
Anyone have an idea on where to look for a stock replacement mechanical fuel pump for my 64 with a 170ci Interceptor inline 6?

Ive been running an electric one and would really like to get it back to original. Any help?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 8:02am
Steve, Where have you looked so far? My first choice would be the auto parts store. You live in a rural area so you should have one that the guys behind the counter still know engines and are helpfull! There are some specialty shops that deal with the real old pumps but I'd hate for you to pay 10 times the cost for a pump off the shelf.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 9:53am
Steve, check NAPA's web site. Same engine that a Falcon had. The year is probably 61-64.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 10:38am
Steve, Bruce's route may be the easy way! I do believe the only difference between the automotive and the marine will be the vent hole for a ruptured diaphram. The marine would defiantly be a threaded hole for a fitting to attach the line up to the intake. The auto may be tapped too but also could be just a hole. It could be drilled and tapped!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 10:52am
Steve do you have the original? If so how about rebuilding it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 12:53pm
Gary,
I do have the original,(its unhooked-but on the motor) and it probably will work, just not sure how dependable a 44 year old pump would be. I put the electric one on when I first got the boat and was having problems with keeping the boat running. (it was a carb issue)

Pete and Bruce,
If I remember right,the original pump has a glass bowl on the bottom of it? Guess it wouldnt be a big deal to run a line to the intake tho.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 1:35pm
Steve, this is the only picture I have that shows the fuel pump. I am going up to my camp this afternoon and will take a better picture and post it by tomorrow. I was looking at the engine last weekend and noticed a tube that leads to the carb from the front of the engine that I had never noticed before. I thought it might be an overflow tube. I'll check that out, too. Snow should be melted enough today to finally push the boat out of the garage!

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 5:23pm
Steve,
I've found rebuild kits and other misc internals for my 327 at www.kanter.com.

They have auto supplies, so if you are looking for a marine fuel pump they might not be too helpful.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 8:17pm
If its the same as a 223 I may have one.Maybe in original fomoco box.Would be automotive though.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 11:32pm
Steve, here's a shot of my fuel pump. There does seem to be a glass bowl on the bottom, but there is not a 2nd tube coming out of it that leads to the carb. The 2nd tube that I mentioned earlier is for the choke.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 1:45am
You get back into those older boats and you'll find out they didn't have all that fancy stuff.My HM has the original fuel pump on it,no tube,An explosion proof distributor? forget about it.A carb with J tubes? Dream on.They were real men back then and that's the way we liked it. You just might be able to go to napa or look on the net for vintage Mustang or Falcon parts and see if you can rebuild it Steve.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 1:52am
Bruce,
I'll have to check and see if mine looks like that,I think it does. I wonder if the glass bowl is to catch fuel if the pump leaks? I wouldnt think it is a sediment bowl?

Gary thanks for the help..will give it a try.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 2:42am
woodhead: did you just get up from your nap. Been on all evening and never saw you till just a little bit ago.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 2:53am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

woodhead: did you just get up from your nap. Been on all evening and never saw you till just a little bit ago.

john

Hey JB, Had our grandson over for a while tonight!! He gets to stay with his favorite "bapa' tomorrow night! Man what FUN an 18 month old can be!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 3:09am
Yeah......lots of fun...as long as you know he is going home sometime!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 7:35am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Bruce,
I wonder if the glass bowl is to catch fuel if the pump leaks? I wouldnt think it is a sediment bowl?

Steve, It is a sediment bowl. All the older engines had them. It was the only means of fuel "filtering"! The old pumps on the flathead Hercules engines can even be fitted with a filter inside the bowl. Its a old filter that was used by Caddilac and fits perfect.

If you end up with a rebuild kit, haven't done one before and it doesn't come with instructions, there is one trick on assembly. When you get to the point of putting the halves together that holds the diaphram, put the pump in the vise and compress the arm / diaphram. When the halves are tightened, this will stretch the rubber to it's max state and will give the needed volume in the diapham chamber to pump the gas. Also, if the kit comes with the in and out check valves, make sure you get them back in the proper direction. It will pump backwards if not!!

Bruce, It looks like your bowl could use some cleaning!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 9:48am
Steve, the number to he far right of the pump is the casting number. My engine is a 1963 Falcon engine.

Pete, do you think it's advisable to clean that bowl, or is that opening up a can of worms?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, do you think it's advisable to clean that bowl, or is that opening up a can of worms?

Bruce, There is just a small thumb nut on the bottom of the bowl. It should come off real easy by hand. The worst thing that will happen is the gasket may break. Get the nut loosened up and then first twist the glass bowl rather than pull on it. It should break free from it's cork gasket.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic