Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rub Rail Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
copcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rub Rail Question
    Posted: March-31-2008 at 2:51am
I have a question before I order new rubrail for the '74 Mustang. I found the correct rubrail at Taco Marine. It says it comes pre-drilled every 6". The rubrail that was on the boat had the bolts going through at varying distances. Do I get the new stuff and drill new holes so it will fit? Should I see if it is available not drilled and drill it myself and put the bolts in the original holes? Does it matter if I drill even more holes through the side? Thanks in advance
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 6:51am
I would suggest that you drill new holes. You will never line up the old holes in the new rub rail. By drilling new holes, you will be able to instal the new rub rail tight and straight.
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 11:10am
David,I just received a whole new rubrail kit from a marine place up east named Defender Marine.Just type in www.defender.com and they sell Taco rubrail kits.They were also the cheapest I found.The kit comes with everything you need plus a installation video that answers all the questions you will have.I watch my video a couple of days ago and it won't be hard to replace.It does though take two people to do the job.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 12:50pm
I replaced a number of these anodized rubrails over the years and was never able to use more than maybe 10-20% of the old screw holes. But like Chopper mentioned above, new holes are good. I first line each section for a test fit and then caulk all of the holes no longer in alignment, but more often than not, even caulk the holes to be reused. It probably doesn't need to be said, but if you need to drill new holes, do so with a countersink the installation has a profession look.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

copcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 2:07am
Andrew, Reid, and Brian

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. It does sound easier to drill new holes in the boat, than to try and match the rail to the holes that are already there. I'll also check that website Brian gave before ordering. Thanks again.

David
skalomenos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skalomenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 5:17pm
Does anyone know the correct Taco number/part # kit required for a 1995 Ski Nautique 196? I am wanting the kit that includes the new rail, new insert, and new end caps. Thanks for the help.
-Nothing beats a day on the water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic