NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969-1975 bucket seats

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969-1975 bucket seats
    Posted: March-30-2008 at 12:57am
Im looking for a pair of the curved back bucket seats shown below (theyre all the same style). These were commonly found in 69-70 Mustangs, 71+ Skiers, and as the driver seat in some Ski Nautiques from that era. I have also seen them in some Freeports and Southwinds.

Im not picky, condition is not important. I dont care if upholstery on the 2 seats match either. Ill take one if you dont have 2. Ideally, I would like the aluminum frames that they sit on as well, but Ill take whatever I can get!

I would just like to find some original seats to replace the $10 fishing boat seats that came in my '71 Skier.

Any help would be appreciated! If you have any seats for sale like the ones seen below, or you know someone who does, please send me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 8:58pm
Can't someone here do a little fiberglass work and make a few of these desirable seat bases. The frame is all glass with plywood sandwiching the seat bottom. If someone is willing, I can provide the original sample as long as I have it back in a month.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Can't someone here do a little fiberglass work and make a few of these desirable seat bases. The frame is all glass with plywood sandwiching the seat bottom. If someone is willing, I can provide the original sample as long as I have it back in a month.   

Reid, funny you mention that- I was just saying the same thing to Nick.

I could definitely do the glasswork myself. I dont take it you have a non-upholstered seat, do you? I should have some nicely upholstered versions to work from in my other '71, so I could probably figure it out from those. I really dont want to ask you to give up one of your functional seats, as this isnt a pressing need anyways- Im just putting out the feelers because I know we'll need a set eventually. Thanks for the offer though!
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 1:17am
I have a set that will be coming apart soon to get recovered. I will take a look & see what is involved & will take some pics etc. Will keep you posted Tim.
Greg

86 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 10:46am
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I have a set that will be coming apart soon to get recovered. I will take a look & see what is involved & will take some pics etc. Will keep you posted Tim.

Greg, I appreciate that. Any chance you'd be up for making a mold or reproduction? If not, Id be happy to do so if you could ship me a bare seat to work from- Id pay all shipping of course- and Id get the seat back to you as quick as possible! If not, no worries- I can probably figure something out working off my upholstered set.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:35pm
I just wanted to update this thread. I would still love to find some original buckets if they come available, but I cannot afford to keep waiting and hoping- the Skier is going to need seats for this summer!

Reid has forwarded a few pictures of a bare bucket. These will be a big help in creating a mold and should allow me to reproduce at least the ones I need. Depending on the amount of time and cost involved, I may be able to make a few extra if there is enough interest. Hopefully I will get some made within a month or so.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:23pm
Tim,
They sure look to be made on the crude side. I wonder if CC was making them themselves!!?? A ply male mold sure doesn't look like it would be very complicated to make. Get Reid to get you some measurements. Interesting project!! I'm sure you could sell several sets.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:32pm
Youre right Pete, Im surprised at how crude they are- though I guess I shouldnt be. The foam and vinyl covering hide a lot!

No worries on the dimensions- we're looking into shipping that bare one to me. If its totally cost prohibitive, I still have the covered one in my Inca Gold Skier to baseline everything from. No way the original vinyl is coming off it though!

Question for you Pete- once I get the mold built, what should I use between it and the glass so that it releases?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 4:49pm
Mcmaster part # 2386K78 is a wax type mold release. The plywood mold should be CPES'd and epoxied until you get a nice smooth surface. I'll bet that if you go through with this, yours will look alot better!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 5:37pm
Thanks Pete, I added that honey wax to my next McMaster order that Im putting together.

I dont know about mine looking better than the factory- Im a hack when it comes to fiberglass. They should be functional and plenty strong, but I doubt theyll be pretty. Theyre just going to get covered in vinyl and foam anyways!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 2:35am
Tim...don't forget me...I am in for one please. Would be more than happy to cost share.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 6:51pm
Several years later, its time to update this thread!

While I am always interested when used buckets come available, I no longer have a pressing need for any. As mentioned previously, I built a mold for the '69-70 buckets, and successfully produced a pair. I have also disassembled pair of the '71-74 buckets (most commonly found in Skiers), and have noted the differences. I should be able to produce that style as well, with a little effort. Most recently, I have acquired a '73 Ski Nautique bucket, which is slightly different from the other 2 styles (taller, rounded back). I have not figured out a way to reproduce it yet, but I'm sure its within my capabilities... so on the list it goes.

'69-70 buckets:

'69-70 buckets with upholstery, for reference:

'71-74 buckets (on left):

'71-74 buckets with upholstery, for reference:

~'72-75 SN buckets:

I will start a new thread when I actually have seats available, but if anyone knows they are in need of a set, drop me a line and I may be able to adjust my priorities. I am also in the process of having the aluminum frames reproduced as well, so I can probably help you out if youre starting from scratch (at least up to vinyl and foam).

Email: TRBenj@gmail.com
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Did Spike always have buckets in that boat? I thought they were fishing boat seats when we were up for the min. That's what I asked in the other thread, was confused.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2013 at 12:36am
Do I need to drop you a line to retain my spot somewhere near the head of the line?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2013 at 12:39am
I just noticed that the little blue link thingy to my boat is gone. Now where the heck did that go?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2013 at 11:17am
Damn Tim I wish I had access to your molds. We just threw TONS of pre-preg 32x48' sheets (fiberglass cloth with resin already in it)away as waste as it was out of date. It bout killed me!

Funny thing was the guy tossing it out said "Hey Foot....you need any glass to fix your boat?"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2013 at 1:12pm
Wow Tim, I'm thoroughly impressed, nice job!!!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 12:12pm
Darn it Tim, pre-preg would be pretty sweet for these!

John, youre at the front of the line for the SN buckets... but it may be a while before I get to them. Youre the only person I know of who has any interest in one- but maybe this thread will uncover some more demand? Either way, I still need to develop a way to make those rounded backs. I can pop the 69-70 buckets right now, and the 71-74 buckets are similar enough that I could do those relatively easily as well.

Chris, Spike's boat came with the original buckets. The seats were out for repair and reupholstery when you were here- the fishing boat seats were temporary. That was supposed to be a summer project, but it spilled into this off season.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 4:56pm
Would it be possible to make a love seat version tim?

Pretty much just stretch the middle section 12-15"

Thanks, would be awesome to have one even if it's not period correct.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 5:17pm
Have you spent much time in these older, smaller boats? Take a close look here:
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

'69-70 buckets with upholstery, for reference:

If you plan on leaving yourself enough room to get a leg between the driver and observer seats (which makes it MUCH easier to get into the driver's seat since youre not having to step over everything), you 'll note that youre not left with a lot of room to make the seat wider. 6" maybe? Thats not wide enough to get another ass in the seat.

I added a wider observer seat to my Ski Tique... it came out nice, but functionality didnt really change from the single bucket. Its a 1.5x width seat at best. I wouldnt do it again.

That being said, I could make a wider version of the bucket if you were dead set on the idea. Email me: TRBenj@gmail.com
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 5:31pm
Someone else did it too,he's still sorry about making others
sit on it and the look

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 5:48pm
OK OK you guys win, I just need to realize i'm in a 16ft boat and deal with it.
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 7:09pm
One more update... I can now make the '71+ version of the buckets as well. Its a 2-step process to get the shape right, as I didnt create an entirely new mold- so its a little slower, but doable.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 8:28pm
Great work Tim. Thanks for keeping things original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 1:09am
looking good...I feel my new drivers seat getting closer!

thanx Tim for all your efforts on this...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:44am
Pretty awesome tim!
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic