Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I just bought a 63 Classic on eBay! [:o)]

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I just bought a 63 Classic on eBay! [:o)]
    Posted: February-25-2008 at 3:34am
Hi This is my first post. About 10 days ago I had never heard of Classic Craft til my buddy told me about this cool boat on ebay. He was well aware of Classic Craft and told me how this was one of the best boats made. Alas, I am the embarrassed owner of a 1963 Classic. I am only embarrassed here because I am ignorant of many things Correct. When the seller delivered my new old boat yesterday I was proud as a peacock before my neighbors as they watched it arrive. Anyhow I am glad to have found this site of folks committed to these great boats and their restoration. I'm Psyched! (yeah. I'm a classic too)
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 3:36am
Wlecome 63. The Classic was the first Fiberglass Correct Craft. There are several
members of this site who own Classics. Some are very nice, and some still a work in progress. Hope you enjoy the boat. Post some pictures. BKH
Livin' the Dream

63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 3:49am
I'm afraid pics have already been posted But I am an eternal optomist and am glad I bought the boat. I went and saw it before I bid on it. I may be dumb, but I'm happy...
see http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9542&PN=1
You guys are all wet!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 7:40am
Ray, I'm glad you found us and congrats on getting the boat. Once the shock is over, you will need to get a plan together to lay out what and to what extent you want to fix the boat. The Classic is a Correct Craft that in my mind should be restored in the true sence and that restoration would be worth the effort. The great thing is this site, and the people on it that will give you all the help needed. Are you handy? Do you want to do the work yourself and do you have a area to work on it? This is not going to be a quick project and you may not be using it this summer.
I don't want to discourage you but rather encourage you on this project. Just making you aware that it is going to be involved.

Fill us in and welcome to CCfan. Don't forget to check in with us every couple of days on your thoughts and progress. Don't leave us hanging! We will come after you!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 1:23pm

Welcome aboard. Obviously, as you are aware, there was a little bit of controversy surrounding that boat. However, rest easy in that the controversy wasn't about the value or condition of the boat but around the fact that the seller was not accurately representing it in his description. As long as you got what you were counting on and what you wanted, then you did well. If reidp thinks the price was reasonable then you did just fine. If you hang around, and we hope you do, you will come to realize that reidp, being the owner of a dozen or so vintage CCs knows what he's talking about, as do many, many others on the site that will be happy to help advise you through your restoration. Are you in eastern Mass? whereabout?. There are several of us in the general area, including Tim, who posted the "actual" pictures of the boat. Some, Like me, can offer moral support, some like Tim can help with the technical stuff.

Good luck and welcome to CCFan.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 2:10pm
Welcome to the site. Post some pics after you've given it a good cleaning.
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 3:09pm
Welcome to the land of the Classics 63..... Good luck with the restoration.

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 3:49pm
I, as the almost owner of the boat, am glad to see it go to a member here...a new one at that! I must also admit that I'm a little envious, but I'm happier to see it get a good home. I can't wait to see what I almost had!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 3:52pm
I can add that the 'ouch' comes with newer boats as well. I'm ripping the floor out of my '88 today...and not too happy with what I'm finding. Pics to follow on the 'pumpkin patch' thread.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 11:02pm
Ray,
Welcome to the site...if youve never been around an old inboard... your going to LOVE it!
   I assume when you are saying Classic Craft, your aware that the manufacturer is "Correct Craft", and the model you have is a "Classic" ?   Either way...Enjoy!! and get some pics posted!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 2:32am
Thanks for the Warm Welcome everybody!!

Sorry for the delay in replying. I usually don't get to the "relaxing at the computer" stage till between 9-11pm.

I live near Worcester (central) MA. This is the first boat I've ever owned. I love classic Trucks and have a soft spot for Y-blocks, which is what got me to look at the auction post on ebay. When I saw the class and style that this boat had I fell in love with it! It immediately invoked memories of an 18 foot mahogany fixer-upper that my father bought in the late 60's when I was just a kid. I seem to remember it being a Westwood and I distinctly remember it having a 4 cylinder graymarine inboard engine. Such great memories - chemical stripping paint, sanding, caulking, sanding, spreading marine varnish over that beautiful mahogany, did I mention sanding? I was about 10 years old and working with dad back then earned my first solo beers and cigars lol!

Anyways this boat reminds me of that one only in glass. I got a kick out of the "plastic Classic" I read about elsewhere here.

As I mentioned to Tim, I have a completely rebuilt Y-block sitting on an engine stand waiting for a home. Now it's all starting to make sense right? I hope I can change all the boat parts from the junk motor and get it all to work. I hope the motor spins the right direction? I really don't have a clue when it comes to boats, but I am handy with a wrench and sandpaper.

Again thanks for the warm welcome folks!
You guys are all wet!
63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 4:07am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Ray,
Welcome to the site...if youve never been around an old inboard... your going to LOVE it!
   I assume when you are saying Classic Craft, your aware that the manufacturer is "Correct Craft", and the model you have is a "Classic" ?   Either way...Enjoy!! and get some pics posted!

Yeah, I'm used to customs and classics even rats, but I've never been "correct"
You guys are all wet!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 4:28am
Ray,
I think your rebuilt motor , if from an automotive application, is going to spin the wrong way.. (Im assuming the boats motor is not a flywheel-forward?)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 7:24am
Steve, One nice thing about the Y block is it wasn't a flywheel forward marinization. They had learned that it wasn't a good idea to take all the power from the weaker PTO end of the V8's by the time they started using the Y.

Ray, Your rebuild will be the wrong direction but from the pictures Tim took of the LH prop it looks like someone has already dropped a automotive LH engine in the boat. The only bad thing this will cause the starboard (right) side of the boat to ride low when cruising. This is caused by the torque direction of the prop and the weight of the driver. Fill us in on your plans for restoration. Have you thought about putting the original side draft carbs back on? It will allow you to restore the dog house (engine enclosure) back to original. If someone happens to mention that the side drafts were problems, I will correct them!! They aren't.

Which trans is on the engine in the boat? It came with a B/W Velvet as a option and the standard was the Dearbomatic. Or resident tranny expert (as in transmision!) Eric can help you out with ether.

What were you going to do with the rebuilt Y block you have?

The guy who makes these, has the decal with the firing order with ether LH or RH. I'll get you a email address if you need a set. Of coarse you have lots of other things to do first!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve, One nice thing about the Y block is it wasn't a flywheel forward marinization. They had learned that it wasn't a good idea to take all the power from the weaker PTO end of the V8's by the time they started using the Y.

Ray, Your rebuild will be the wrong direction but from the pictures Tim took of the LH prop it looks like someone has already dropped a automotive LH engine in the boat. The only bad thing this will cause the starboard (right) side of the boat to ride low when cruising. This is caused by the torque direction of the prop and the weight of the driver. Fill us in on your plans for restoration. Have you thought about putting the original side draft carbs back on? It will allow you to restore the dog house (engine enclosure) back to original. If someone happens to mention that the side drafts were problems, I will correct them!! They aren't.

Which trans is on the engine in the boat? It came with a B/W Velvet as a option and the standard was the Dearbomatic. Or resident tranny expert (as in transmision!) Eric can help you out with ether.

What were you going to do with the rebuilt Y block you have?

The guy who makes these, has the decal with the firing order with ether LH or RH. I'll get you a email address if you need a set. Of coarse you have lots of other things to do first!!

You guys are all wet!
63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 12:17am
Sorry for duplicating the above post. I am not used to the forum's GUI yet.

I am not sure what tranny is in there yet. We are getting snow as I type. I covered the boat up real snug the other day after I cleaned it out a bit and am waiting out the weather. I do have a garage I can pull it into, but my 53 Ford Panel Delivery is getting new manifold, carb, covers, etc as well as a set of smoothie running boards.

I am trying to gear up for and figure out what I need for the restoration.

Can the tranny be used with either R or L rotation engine? Does the reverse position on the shifter then become forward? Are they direct drive forward and reverse? So many questions I have.

Those decals are inspiring!

I plan on using the rebuilt truck y-block I had in the new boat to replace that rusty frozen mess. I think that mess would make a good mooring though :)

Is the only difference on engine rotation the camshafts? I have never encountered this and did not realize the difference till Tim pointed it out?

I would love to put the original style side draft carb and drop the doghouse back down. They look so much better on the pics I have been seeing. Are the carbs available?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really earning my Newbie status
You guys are all wet!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 12:30am
Ray,
Each engine can have its own ideosyncrasies as to how they get a "bacerds" running motor. ( sorry.. insider joke from an old post).   Oil seals, piston to rod mounting (if offset pins),timing gears (mainly GM), cams, etc, can all be differnt from their automotive brothers. The blocks, heads, etc are usually able to be used tho. Im not that familiar with the "Y".. .Im sure some guys here can tell you exactly what you need for it.
As for sidedrafts, The Carter "YH" was also used on turbo powered Corvairs. You can occasionally find them on ebay..

Good luck!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 12:35am
The cam, distribtor and the crankshaft. There are knurling on the rear for oil control, but a good machine shop could duplicate these to your new crank.
The other problem is the piston pin offset, and I cannot speak for the Y-Block.Windsor have 0 degree so the pistons dont care.
The camshaft may be a salvage out of the old motor, worth the time to try.
The next step will be the gear on the distr.rebuild the old one or simply exchange it on your unit .
And don't worry about the NEWBIE STATUS, that will only last till you get neck deep in a CC,By the way welcome to the greatest show on EARTH.....CCFan.........Boat dr
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 12:46am
Hey Ray... listen to the doctor.... he has what is argueably one of the fastest Fords on the site!?

(btw Billy, got ANOTHER 5-6" of that white stuff last night) ...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 12:51am
Thanks for the welcome.

Holy Cow! They's lots ta do to change the rotation! I guess you'll know me from far away when you see me leaning siderds to the right lesuns I keep the beer keg flung over the left to even things out a wee tad.

The "old" motor already is the wrong rotation, but I guess this should make me happy since my motor is wrong too. I just want it to be purdy and have fun!

I guess I should be lookin for a carter YH carb eh? Was that the original they used or just a posible replacement? Do they sell rebuild kits for them?
You guys are all wet!
63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:07am
is this the carb? Looks like I need to find the right intake too? or is there a 90 degree adapter?

see ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-Rebuilt-Corvair-Nash-or-Corvette-Carter-YH-Carb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34198QQihZ020QQitemZ300201078921QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
You guys are all wet!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:11am
Try these people, have been very helpful in the past, knows his stuff on the old YH series. lottsa info, answers dumb questions , and loves boaters....

62 mine is not a Y-BLOCK
302 ;bored and stroked to 331
GT 40 Heads
Comp. Cams custom grind
Stainless Steel Polished Hi-Tek Exhaust
Edelbrock Performer
Mallory Uni-Lite Ignition

Check these guys out for your carb needs..

Daytona Parts Company
1191 Turnbull Bay Road
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Phone: (386) 427-7108
Fax: (386) 423-8528
EMAIL: mail@daytonaparts.com
        Boat dr
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:19am
Billy, I went back and corrected that right after I wrote it. ....Pauls the one with the Y I was thinking of... I get those red boats all mixed up!

Plus...after this winter, my brain is kinda numb!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:21am
Wood: Don't you hear Florida calling??!!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:24am
Thanks for the lead doc! I'll give em a jingle.

63ccc

You guys are all wet!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:26am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Wood: Don't you hear Florida calling??!!

john

Do I have to dye my hair white to move down there?

I hafta agree...FL. IS looking pretty good about now tho!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:30am
No...your hair can stay just as it is...HW just left and his is brown....had a good time too I think. Temp=85 today...breezy...lots of white clouds.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
63CCCOuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCCOuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:34am
85 DEGREES! We can add an extra ouch to my name now. We had a timeshare for 2 weeks on the beach in fl that just ended sat and sat empty cuz my wife has been sick. Da-n! It's all good..... kinda

63ccc
You guys are all wet!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:39am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

No...your hair can stay just as it is...HW just left and his is brown....had a good time too I think. Temp=85 today...breezy...lots of white clouds.

john

You guys get out? Your pics last week were killers... man I cant think of that....too depressing...   

btw, Temp=15 ... breezy (30+mph) ... lots of white clouds...oh, wait thats snow..

Oh, Ray, I think they used a special intake for the sidedrafts....at least thats what is on my 62 Higgins.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:43am
Ray,

Heres a Link to an intake for the y on ebay....
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic