NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

big block

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: big block
    Posted: February-24-2008 at 1:25pm
I need help!!! I'm having a hard time moving my big block right and left for alignment, let me know the best way. I have everything lose and it won't budge
Mark 84bare12"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 1:47pm
Mark, You may need to use some penetrating oil on the mounts. They can be stubborn at times. Then a pry bar and some wood blocking between the engine and the mounts and it should move. In extreme cases, the mounts may need to be removed and loosened up on the work bench. This is true with any engine and not limited to a big block.

I,m glad you found us at CCfan. You'll find lots of knowledge and plenty of helpful people here. Fill us in on the boat and better yet, post some pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 2:18pm
Mark, welcome aboard......
As Pete noted these things have not been moved in a while,so....
A small chisel or large screwdriver driven between the seration while liberal amounts of penertrating fluid are applied will sometimes render them movable.
But if all else fails , do not hesitate to Rove and repair.Not a time consuming jobto remove and a lot easier than replacing broken parts after the fact......Boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 5:56pm
if you do end up removing the mounts which you probably will end up doing, i will put them in a blast cabinet which some guy's may not have access too,
another great way to clean them is a bench mounted wire wheel, once cleaned i will paint appropiate parts and never sieze the rest, once done you should be able to adjust the side to side easily with small pry bar. It sounds like the alignment has'nt been attempted in some time.
good to hear your doing the alignment, where did you hear about alignment?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:28pm
If you do not want to remove the mounts and first try a penetrating oil I would try "BP Blaster" penetration oil. It seems to work best for us.

If you do remove do be sure to put on Anti-Seize as Eric said.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 9:46pm
thanks for your input guy, I noticed on the front mounts a big difference in space from right to left, But the couplers are real close. I read the front mounts should be 1 3/4 on each side is this so!!
Mark 84bare12"
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 9:53pm
Also when i split the couplers,I noticed the shaft side coupler has alot of play, I Know that's not right. So I'm assuming the coupler is worn do to motor alignment.
Mark 84bare12"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 10:06pm
Mark, Don't worry about the engine not being centered exactly in the middle of the boat. The hulls aren't the most precise things around. The important thing is to understand that the alignment starts with the strut and then goes forward. If the shaft is is centered in the strut cutlass bearing and roughly centered in the hole in the bottom/shaft log, then align the engine to the shaft.

The coupling to the shaft is a press fit so with all that play you mentioned, it has been run for some time without a alignment. The worst problem mis alignment can cause is blowing the output bearing (and then the seal) on the trans. How is it? As long as you are going with a new shaft and coupling half, now is the time to put a new dampener plate in on the trans. How many hours are on the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 10:23pm
The trans seams to be fine,800 hours, looking at the motor it appears to be centered visually, but the front mounts space is very different, motors never been aligned so I'm assuming it's always be that way or the motor moved tho i find that hard to believe
Mark 84bare12"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 12:06pm
a good indication of mis-alignment over the years would be a loose prop shaft coupling, it tends to take the abuse of mis-alignment and tries to act as a u-joint and works on the shaft causing wear, if you pull it off easily and has rust in that area then your coupling is worn.
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 2:05pm
thanks for your input, you have been a big help!!! I will pull the shaft to determine if the shaft needs replacing. hoping it's just the coupling. The u-joint theory really makes alotta sense. thanks again.
Mark 84bare12"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

if you pull it off easily and has rust in that area then your coupling is worn.

What Eric is describing with the rust is quite common in mis aligned mechanical power transmission. I've had mechanics come to me with a rusty shaft, sheave, sprocket, coupling, etc. They will tell me that there is no water in the area and are confused about the rust. "Fretting" as it is called will actually be more without any water! Here's a link to a good explanation if anyone is interested.

fretting

Mark, Make sure you mike the diameter of the shaft if you are thinking about using it again. The wear from fretting is worse on softer materials (the stainless shaft).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 3:31pm
Thanks Pete

Now you've got me fretting about fretting.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 9:40pm
If that info on fretting doesn't make you a believer in maintaining alignment, I don't know what will. 82% decrease in fatique life!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 10:50pm
Steve, wait till we get you burnelling
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic