Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finally finished my stereo project!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tiqueman97 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally finished my stereo project!!!
    Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:31pm
I began this project over a year ago and finally finished it a few weeks ago. I got to "really" hear it for the first time this past Saturday. I removed 4 6.5 clarions in separate cans and replaced it with 4 polk momo 6x9s. It sounds incredible and was well worth the time and effort... I got so many compliments on the water this weekend. And must have been asked 6 times if I would build one for someon else. I must say it was a great feeling.

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:52pm
I saw a similar plan from a guy in one of those DIY website. Are you the one that published it or you follow his instructions. I really liked the looks and I bet they must sound amazing. Definetly the AIR logo looks really cool. Which system do you use to attached the box to the tower?

Congratularions!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:10pm
I also saw that and thats what I based it off of. To mount it, I drilled a 3/8 inch hole all the way through (top and bottom) of the tower cross bars. I then took a hole saw bit and drilled the top hole ony to I think 1-1/8 inch. I did 2 holes in each bar. I then got a stainless cap bolt and a fender washer, dropped it into the top holes so it actually sits inside the tower and then I got 4 of those plastic cap grommets from a local hardware store and snapped them into place in the larger 1-1/8 hole. Am I making sense???
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:21pm
That is cool. You could start a new tv show, pimp my tower. The "air" relief adds the finishing touch.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:46pm
Thanks Tim! I cannot tell you how many "f-bombs" I dropped trying to get that logo to look like it was supposed to be there. It took way more time than I would have thought.

Haha.. pimp my tower... the only problem is Id have to take thier boat and then tell the people to pimp my wallet.....
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:32pm
How about an full boat shot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:48pm
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:49pm
TM97', how much did it cost to put this all together?? I have a tower to pimp and don't even need the logo !!!

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:58pm
About $150. I had a little bit of the materials but for the most part I went from scratch. Under 200 easy.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by tiqueman97 tiqueman97 wrote:

About $150. I had a little bit of the materials but for the most part I went from scratch. Under 200 easy.

Very nice.. I'll take one !!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 8:08pm
Really cool...
Your tower rocks!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 9:02pm
FYI, I was looking to do a similar project. I didn't know how it will look like on my boat but Scott's boat picture says it all. If anybody is interested there is a similar plan to build this enclosure. I bet this job requires a lot sanding. Here is the link to Jim Aikins Fiberglass Box instructions. Good job Scott
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 10:01pm
Sweet!
So I figure a couple hours at minimum wage, $200 should cover it.
I'll take two.

Steve

Nice job Scott
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 11:58pm
Anthony, EXACTLY where I started. I had trouble getting the pdf to print clearly and to a correct scale so I re-drew it in AutoCad. I then tweaked it here and there and made it more of a custom fit for the polk momo 6x9s. Then tweaked it more once I spray glued the template to the board.

And oh my gosh, the sanding went on and on and on. And on. My wife kept saying, "You are still sanding?" I probably spent as much money on primer filler than I did on all the other material combined. But in the end it was more than worth the time spent. As they say, its all in the prep.

I almost forgot, tullfooter, I was thinking more like Ide give you 300 dollars and build you 6. I will include the boat for 650.... No wait... 7
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 2:09pm
Nice boat. Do you really think you're finished with the stereo? There's never an end!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 3:02pm
Hollywood, It seems that way doesnt it??? At least THAT part is done for now... Im not sure whats next.. actually I am. Ive got to re-do a sub box.... And then Im not sure whats next... maybe another fish tank??? I need to find my pics of that! It was only for the Orlando CC Reunion but it was pretty fun.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 3:14pm
Fish tank, I love it. Clear fat sacs with goldfish in them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 3:29pm
LOL that would be sweet...

No actually, I had a 12" sub under the dash cooler/storage, firing down. And in front of it I built a tank that was about 18 inches wide, 15 inched high and about 2 inches front to back. I did it out of 3/16 plexi and incorperated it into the (port) or really just the space to get sound/air out from the sub firing down. I made a 1/4 mdf frame that the tank sat in, almost like a false panel that covered the majority of the tank accept for an area I cut out in the shape of the "N" logo. I put Burgundy/red rocks in it to coordinate with the boat, wrapped the panel in Tan vinyl and put ... I dont know what they are called, the type aerator filter that is like a 12 inch sticks that sends up lots of bubbles. It was a very crazy last minute idea before the... 03 I think, reunion at Sea World. I started it at about 11pm the night before and was at Walmart on my way to Orlando the next morning at 6am buying fish. I got about 45 minutes sleep that night.... Good times.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 11:40pm
That thing is SWEET! I need to install a tower just so I can have one of those!
ac505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 5:59am
Tiqueman97, great jon, it looks really good. Is there any chance you could send me over your autocad file. I was also looking at the pdf on the instructions website and it's a little grainy. My work has a twin table router so if I have an autocad, solidworks etc etc file I could have the skeleton made preceisely.

Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 7:08am
Scott, I'm impressed with the job. Looks great and I certainly know the work you put into it. You should be very proud.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:28am
Originally posted by tiqueman97 tiqueman97 wrote:

I dont know what they are called, the type aerator filter that is like a 12 inch sticks that sends up lots of bubbles.

That's a bubble wand. How did the fish like the uncured tank...bet they had a buzz!

Great looking speaker box!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 2:22pm
Thanks again for the compliments.

ac505, shoot me an email, tiqueman97@yahoo.com

BuffaloBFN, ha, they didnt seem to mind it! They (5 fish) rode in the sloshing around water for about a hour and a half to Orlando, boat was in the parking lot all day, bubble wand bubbling away, and stereo blasing for about an hour (mind you, the tank backs up against the sub box) Then went to a private lake afte the show, put the boat back on the trailer in the am and drove home, in which during the drive I lost one fish... it got out and was behind the box on the floor. I threw the fish into a tank at the houst that had a small turtle in it and over a 6 month period, the turtle ate the remaining 4 fish. So uhh, dont know why I told you all that but it was a fun story...
1999ProAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1999ProAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 5:32pm
anyone got a pdf of the 24" x 60" cut out?
99ProAir
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 6:09pm
Nice work!!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic