Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swim Platform refreb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim Platform refreb
    Posted: February-16-2008 at 11:47pm
I'm in the process of giving the swim platform some much needed TLC. The deck is off our '86 and is in sound structural shape but needs some help with its weathered look.

Before I started I wanted to ask how much sanding is to much? Should it be done at all? The deck has ridges and contours between the boards. In some areas, to sand down to new(er) surface I would have to almost sand all surfaces and boards perfectly smooth. Do I want that? Would that create a slick surface when wet?

The guy at the marina advised that I should use a belt sander and "have at it". I'm a little leary of this, and frankly of him.

Just wanted to get some advice before anything ran south on me.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 12:42am
Chris, When new the teak was smooth so sanding it down will bring the surface back to what it was. I don't feel it will make it any slipperier than new plus teak is a very open grain wood so you are not going to end up with a glass like surface. Two things that I would worry about is you may end up sanding into the ends of the screws so shorter but larger dia. might be needed. The other is you may sand down the radius edges of that were routed in when new. After sanding you may have to take it apart and re route the 1/8" radius on all the top edges.

Is it really that bad that a good pressure wash, brightening, light sanding and re oiling won't bring it back?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 12:43am
There are many threads discussing refinishing a platform. Use the search for such key words as platform, oil, teak, refinish... I came up with this one. Quite a few thoughts/opinions in it.

platform refinishing

I think there are probably many more.

Good luck with it.

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 9:48am
DeepCreek- Don't jump right to the sander. Start with the 2 part cleaner/ brightner and then make the decision on sanding. You'll be surprised how well it cleans up.
I usually sand very lightly after cleaning, since the scrub brushing raises some grain in the wood.
Good luck with it.
-Brad
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 12:38pm
For what is worth, I use TSP with a scrub brush in alternating direction. This will clean the platform very well. My recommendation is to stay away from a belt sander! The teak should need very little sanding which should be left to hand sanding with proper dust protection (teak dust is an extreme irritant to the lungs/sinus. Risne the TSP off, let dry, use the brightener and oil listed above.
Good Luck
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 1:36pm
fwiw, i was helping my friend with his teak and i hit it with a pressure washer, im not one for physical laber unless i have too, the pressure washer worked beautifully
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 2:37pm
Chris, If for some reason you do need to use the belt sander on the teak, don't worry about the teak dust being a extreme irritant to the lungs. By the time you are done with the TSP (tri sodium phosphate) and the brighteners (oxalic acid) the teak dust will be like breathing in mountain fresh air!

Post some pictures.

If you have access to a pressure washer like Eric mentioned, do use it. It will get down deep into the pores of the wood removing the spores that are there that cause the graying/black fungus. Then the brightener will kill the rest.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

DeepCreek- Don't jump right to the sander. Start with the 2 part cleaner/ brightner and then make the decision on sanding. You'll be surprised how well it cleans up.

Agreed- unless the teak has some sort of finish on it that needs to be removed (varnish, etc), it probably doesnt need to be sanded. A belt sander would be overkill anyways.

Get yourself some Starbrite teak cleaner and a good brass brush and go to work. Rinsing off with a power washer is a good idea- but be careful and use fairly low pressure to start.
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 1:24am
amazon cleaner and a medium brush (this may take 2 or 3 cleanings), then several coats of amazon oil worked great for me. mine was not in too bad shape, just never been cleaned properly since i had the boat. done mine in dec and still looks great.
bill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic