NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Pictures of Hull Blisters

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Pictures of Hull Blisters
    Posted: January-11-2008 at 1:44am
Does anyone have any pictures they can send me of   hull blisters or a before and after picture of a hull that was repaired that had hull blisters.

Thanks,
Lew

Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 12:02pm
Lew, One of our members "farmer" had some fantastic pictures of blisters but I found that all his pictures have been removed. We lost some of the pictures when Keith transfered the site to a new server.

I did do a search on blisters and here's a link to the threads that came up.

hull blisters

Farmers blistering was so bad that he had to remove the entire gel coat. Is the blistering on a boat you have or want to purchase?

Blisters, if still filled with water will be bumps in the gel usually with a crack in the middle. If the water has dried out then the gel usually will flatten back out but the gel will be a maze of fine cracks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 10:45pm
Here's a shot. If I recall, the guy said his boat was stored on the trailer, but on wet bunks. Memory may have faded on my part a bit.

1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 11:40pm
i got blisters on my blisters
"the things you own will start to own you"
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:18am
Eric, take a shot of my hull, it's got blisters like you read about.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:23am
Mike: What all you having done at eric's...if you don't mind me asking. Hows the wing by the way?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:47am
Hi John,

Trans rebuild, new shaft, new cutlass bearing and new interior upholstery for sure. After that, what ever Eric recommends.

Also, there is a soft spot in the floor between the front seats that I forgot to mention to Eric. I can probably fix it myself, but since he has it I will probably ask him to take a look.

Wing is 95% and progressing well - should be able to actually ski behind my own boat for the first time this upcoming season.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:49am
Gonna look nice! I seen on another thread that I may be seeing part of the bill.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 10:29am
i like 2 pager invoices...i write really big and dont own a calculator
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 10:39pm
How do you add over 20...get your bro to help?

john

only kidding eric...
"Loud pipes save lives"

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 8:29pm

Lew here are a few pictures.

this is a tool I made to remove the gelcoat

this shows voids in the hull layup.these voids allow moisture to collect and leads to blistering.

these are blisters

this is the new epoxy bottom

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 9:33pm
Looking good Gary. Did you spray on the gel coat? Does it need to be sanded now? Looks nice and glossey in the pic's.

Does anyone know why this happens? It only seems to happen on 70's and up boats.A friend of mine has a 77 that had been in the water most summers and all of a sudden it got them.Is it possible the gel coat is thinner and letting the water get in?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 10:06pm
Gary, Polyester resin is hygroscopic so this is why repairs or barrier coats are made with epoxy.

Here's a guy who wrote a complete article on it:

hull blistering

He also mentions the use of cheap resins starting in the mid 70's. The good old days of the oil embargo! Remember it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:19am

Pete,that was a great article.

Gary, the bottom is epoxy with a barrior coat additive.I have a hard epoxy bottom coat that will go on when the weather cooperates.

Farmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 11:19am
i think im going into the surfboard business, it looks pretty easy, i watched a guy on tv do it, he took 2 part foam and molded and shaped the board, put some cloth on it and then resined it, i think he gets 1200.00 a board, he did a little sanding too..
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 11:54am
Interesting Pete,thanks.I remember coming home from school and stopping at the gas station and waiting in line for 5 gallons!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 12:01pm
Gary, your boat is coming along nicely. Will you be bringing it to the NE Reunion?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Interesting Pete,thanks.I remember coming home from school and stopping at the gas station and waiting in line for 5 gallons!

I was still at Watercraft Sales the first summer of the embargo. I do remember running out of gas to sell for 1 or 2 days several times that summer. I never had a problem getting gas on the road though. I think it depended on the region of the country you were in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:16pm
Pete do you remeber the slaughtering of all the cows in the 1970's? what was that all about?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:25pm
In Maine it was about the Federal gov. putting all the dairy farms out of business by making them an offer they couldn't refuse. I was a cook at that time and the market was flooded with cow tenderloins. They didn't quite taste the same as beef tenderloins, but they were cheap and people drove for miles to eat them. Of course, we called them filet mingeons.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:27pm

Bruce,I couldn't let you and the boys get all the attention could I ? I do hope to have it done by then.

Gary
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:29pm
cow tenderloins ???? beef tenderloins???
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:30pm
Glad to hear it Gary. I've got a tall order in front of me if I'm going to get any attention. I'm going to try though.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:31pm

Cows are for milking,beef are for eating
                                  Farmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:33pm
isnt beef made from cows? or cows made from beef? if thats the case doesnt the beef taste milky?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:42pm
These tenderloins came from all the diary cows that were slaughtered after the feds bought all the diary cows as a deal for the farmers to stay out of the business.   They were called cow tenderloins and were definately different from a beef tenderloin. They were very soft and not firm and didn't taste the same or nearly as good. I worked for a fairly large restaurant and we had them on special till they were gone. We called them filet mignons and sold them cheap. Us cooks didn't eat them and were amused to be serving them up. We called them old dead cow tenderloins. I imagine the diners had the same conversation much like many of us have had at certain restaurants when your wondering what you're really eating.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 2:18pm

Okay,here goes. Beef cows are bred to produce more pounds of meat per pound fed.The meat has more marbling(fat) so it can be hung longer after it is slaughtered. The longer it hangs the more tender the meat is.
Dairy cows are bred to produce more, high butterfat content milk per pound fed.Dairy cows do not have very fatty meat. When a dairy cow is butchered,the majority of the meat goes to hamburg and most people have them mix in some additional fat for flavor.
          Farmer
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 2:22pm
Well that expains where the rest of the cow went.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 4:29pm
I would certainly think that eric knows all about cows...given where he lives.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 6:29pm
j-bear, shouldnt you be at the buffet? you know the price goes up to $6.95 after 4:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic