NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Out for a Sunday drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out for a Sunday drive
    Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:01am
While JBear and Backfoot can still get out on the water during their Florida winter, us northerners are left to daydream about spring. I ventured out to the lake this weekend to check on the boat and give the steering wheel a crank, so I took the camera along. Theres no getting down to the cottage by car until the hill thaws, and then hardens again- usually sometime in April. You can see our driveway across the street from my truck.

Nothing exciting to report, but noticed a bunch of ice fisherman enjoying the 50 degree day. My steering cable hadn’t frozen yet, and no critters had made a home in my boat as far as I can tell, so the dryer sheets must be doing their job. On the way home, I decided to take a detour to another local lake.   Its a much larger lake than ours, and there was a Correct Craft dealer there until about 15 years ago. My grandfather purchased our ’68 Mustang there (new), so there are a lot of vintage CC’s on the lake. I took a drive around looking for something interesting, and found a few CC’s braving the elements.

~1987 2001:

’89 2001:

80/81 Ski Nautique:

Thankfully, the rest of the local CC’s were stored out of the weather, or at least out of sight. With the lake lowered for the winter, I only saw one boat still on a lift. Figures it would be a MC ;)

I also swung by the place where the old CC dealership used to be. I had high hopes of finding some treasures, as I remember seeing several older boats still stored on the lot years after the place had closed (a late 60’s Mustang SS comes to mind), but the lot has since been cleared. Nothing left but a mostly empty warehouse.

It sure doesnt beat a day on the water, but not a bad way to spend a January afternoon in New England.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:21am
Tim, my 86er had a Barrett sticker on it...That must be the delearship it was purchased from- kinda dumpy...

Sunday was a nice day for sure. Temps got up into the 30s in VT and softened things up on the hill.

Nice shots- roof box looks good too
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Tim, my 86er had a Barrett sticker on it...That must be the delearship it was purchased from- kinda dumpy...

Good to see that the hotel internet is up and running.

From what I remember, the place looked worse when it was in business. At least now the lot is clean! Unfortunately, they had an equally distasteful attitude- my dad tells me they were a pain to deal with in '68, and even worse when it came to buy the '88. My dad and uncle decided to drive down to Overtons (in NC) to pick up a boat instead. Its no wonder they lost the dealership.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:42am
Great pics- and what a nice looking car! Cool looking car topper too- is that a ski tote of some sort?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:49am
What a cool day Tim...thanks for sharing it. Musta been fun. As fun as it looks tho...I'm glad I got to spend Saturday with Eddie testing my new prop.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:50am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Great pics- and what a nice looking car! Cool looking car topper too- is that a ski tote of some sort?

Thanks The box is handy to have- Ive used it to move the ski platform, boom, snow skis, waterskis, etc. It'll make the trip to GL for sure. The only bummer is that I cant fit in the garage with it on now that the lift is installed.

JBear, I would have traded places with you if I could!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:54am
I don't know about trading...but you know you are welcome any time you get tired of snow and need a warm long weekend. Just bring your b-foot suit. Helps to be thirsty too...just ask HW.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 1:23am
Tim

Cool shots. That's definitely a cool topper. I can't say that I've seen another one like it.

Last weekend here in northern IN, we got 20" of snow....today, 65. Warmest temp in January ever recorded. Now as I type, thunder, lightning, heavy rain, and tornado watch. Strange, to say the least.

Rob
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 1:26am
Same here today Rob, don't worry they are saying snow by the end of the week.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 1:32am
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

That's definitely a cool topper. I can't say that I've seen another one like it.

Thanks Rob. Its actually a Packasport. I hadnt seen one or heard of them until recently (when I came across this one). The cool thing is that its fiberglass, so its pretty durable. It was a little ugly when I got it, but I was able to bring back the finish by wetsanding- just like I did with the boat. I cant say Ive taken a hit in gas mileage with it on either... still holding strong at 17mpg
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 2:08am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Thanks The box is handy to have- Ive used it to move the ski platform, boom, snow skis, waterskis, etc. It'll make the trip to GL for sure. The only bummer is that I cant fit in the garage with it on now that the lift is installed.

JBear, I would have traded places with you if I could!

Lift kit? Man, you're out of control. What's next on the 4Runner? Dual exhaust?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 2:17am
Lift kit...I didn't notice but should have known...Tim you just can't leave nuthin' alone!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 4:50am
Nice pics tim, that looks way to cold for me, I thought you stored your boat inside with your dads!

Jbear...how did that prop work out for you?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 9:54am
You'd think a brand new car would be safe from Tim, but no. That said, it looks awesome. I initially wasn't a huge fan of those rims, the hood, or the lack of spoiler but the package as a whole is looking great. Is the lift just a spring swap?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 11:10am
Nice pics Tim. I'll bet a very nice place when you can have the boat in the water. It's nice to see that all those inboards have been put to bed properly. At least from what the pics show. Even the MC had a cover on it anyway. Better than a few other pics that we've seen in here in the past.

Nice looking ride too. It looks as nice as your boats look.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 11:31am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Nice looking ride too. It looks as nice as your boats look.

Yeah Tim, it sure beats the junky old Maxima
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 11:44am
Thanks guys.

Joel, I still dont like the hood but Im a fan of the wheels and lack of spoiler. Of course I cant leave well enough alone, so I leveled the truck (2" front, 1" rear) and added the color grill. The difference is subtle, but I like the look. The front took a spacer kit and I added some longer FJ Cruiser coils to the rear when I put the air bags in. Should be a better setup for towing now.

Brad, dont knock the Maxima- I would have kept that car if I could! It was a fun car to drive, but the 4Runner tows the boat better.

MM, the '90 is inside the garage at the cottage, but my dad keeps his at his house. The Tique is in the back yard and has to brave the elements like the boats shown above... I gotta figure out something better for next year!

Eddie, our cottage has been in my dad's family since the 20's- theres nowhere Id rather be in the summer!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:34pm
Tim,

Where is that old CC dealer at?

Your family place sounds a bit like ours, G-Pa built the cottage back in the 40's, wish ours was just a bit closer to my home, 900 mi trek is tough for a weekend visit.
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:59pm
Tim-

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

I agree, the 4Runner looks great!

Kyle

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 3:34pm
Thanks Kyle. CQ, Barretts was in Winsted, right near Highland Lake.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 7:22pm
Tim,
Nice pics.
That is the nicest topper I've seen. If I replace the Thule on my Expedition with one of those, I'll get 17mpg?
Sweet!
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 7:41pm
Thanks Steve. Its not as user friendly as Id like (the lock sucks, doesnt mount/dismount very quickly, and it opens from the rear instead of the side) but it gets the job done. Its a quality unit and I do like its low profile. It'll actually help get your Expedition over 20mpg pretty easily... while coasting down hill of course
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 9:47pm
Tim imagine how boring it must be for jbear.Just about every day he can go out when ever he likes, where as us in the Great White North get to dream and hope all winter long. And what besides cold are you with out hopes and dreams? Nice pic's tho,can you imagine what the start up cost today for a dealership?Could not get by with a building like that now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 11:35pm
Tim,

That is one sweet 4-runner!

I was kind of afraid to post pics of my new 'yota on here, but after seeing the good responses on this thread maybe I will clean it up and take some pics this week

Looks cold up there... We actually hit 66 here today. not bad for January in ohio!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 12:08am
Gary; Yes we are really bored here. Why I never know what to do on Saturdays...foot with Eddie or go ride the Harley. This wearing shorts and t-shirts to work every day is boring as well.
Liked the pic of your cool tractor. Sure scared me seeing all that cold stuff you were pushing with it.

Mark: Prop is awesome. The '80 was running 50mph by GPS ay 5000rpm with the Federal 13x14. Did not try the OJ 13x13 but will. With the Acme I can still run 50 but have to turn56oo to do it and I think I ain't gonna run the motor that hard. Pulled quicker to 30 and 40...awesome hole shot and runs smoother. So I really like it. Yeah it cost me a mile or 2 in top speed at 5k but the upside is well worth it.

Hi to Lisa and Keith.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 3:01am
17 mpg? must be a v8. My 3.4 gets about 23 mpg. Best yota site http://www.yotatech.com/f1/
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 11:41am
Gary, youre right- not being able to boat/ski all winter makes it much sweeter when spring finally gets here.

Randy, there are a lot of buy-American guys here- but that doesnt bother me. Im happy with my truck and thats all that matters!

Tim, you bet its a V8- it was a big factor in my choosing the 4Runner over the Tacoma. I get 18-20mpg with warmer temps and summer gas, so no complaints. Yotatech is great, but its geared more towards the older generations. I check out T4R and 120 more often.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 3:35pm
My true gas mileage in the winter is about exactly the same as TR's as well. I just did 197.7 miles and used 11.956 gallons, city, but that includes some really long warm-up idling on some very cold days last week. Overall I think it's a terrific and efficient V8.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 4:19pm
I get about the same with my Brougham.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 4:44pm
That 4 Runner is a nice looking car. I owned one myself back in 1994. If you're happy, I'm happy.

But, I dont' get it. My Yukon XL also get's 17 mpg; I believe it has a higher towing capacity than the 4 Runner, and I don't need boxes on the roof to fit my stuff in the car Before anyone makes the quality argument, my Yukon XL has 142K miles now and I've never done anything except tires and routine maintenance. I am by no means an American Car zeolot. I'm just saying as someone who does a lot of towing, and who carries around a lot of stuff, why not have the larger truck vs. the smaller truck?

I can only see 2 drawbacks: 1) a young guy might not think its cool to drive a suburban, and 2) occasionally, and I mean rarely, the burb can be more difficult to park.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic