NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newby w/ ’76 Southwind says Hello!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby w/ ’76 Southwind says Hello!
    Posted: January-07-2008 at 7:04pm
Hey guys! This is a great website. I have been lurking around it for several years and checking out all the boats and technical info.

I figured I better go ahead and join because I just picked up a "new to me" '76 Southwind that I need some technical help with already, and I wanted to share pics of the boat with you all.   

This is my third Correct Craft. I had an '87 Martinique, an '83 Southwind 20 BR, and now the '76 Southwind 18. It is in amazingly good shape as far as the hull, floor, stringers, etc. Just one little problem. When I fired it up in the driveway yesterday, it started acting funny. Long story short....water in oil. I know, this is one for the engine forum.

Anyway, I will try to post some pictures of the boat and my '68 F250. Interestingly, both the boat and truck were introduced in 1967. So, a nice looking combo.

Dave
The2001.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The2001.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2008 at 8:26pm
I have 71 Southwind project/restore and have REALLY been struggling with it. Please post photos. Selfishly, I need motivation...
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2008 at 9:51pm
Okay, I have plenty of pictures to load. But, how do I size them correctly. It tells me my file is too large.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:10am
Welcome David, glad you finally decided to join in the fun. To load larger (file size wise) photos, post them on photobucket.com and then copy and paste the IMG option under your photo into your post here. There are detailed instructions at the top of the "off Topics" forum.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 1:45am
Welcome David; make yourself at home! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your boat.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 3:09am
Here goes. Lets see if I can get some pictures of the 1967 Southwind 18 loaded now. I don't have any of the interior as I have it taken out right now. Needed the room to work on it. I found this boat in MI and got if for a great deal.

I was looking for something that was a classic, a good deal, and solid. This fit the bill. Plus I can take this boat out in some fairly big water and stay dry and keep my kidneys intact. You guys wouldn't believe this boat. The hull, floor, and stringers are solid. Very clean. The interior needs new indoor/outdoor carpeting, and its good to go.

The only incident I have had was when an exhaust manifold bit the dust yesterday and flooded my engine with water. See "Engine Repair Forum.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures. I am looking forward to taking the wife and kids for many cruises this summer up and down the mighty Fox River in the Chicago area, and also up to Lake Geneva in Wisconsin.

">
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 3:23am
Sweet looking set-up with the classic tow vehicle.

Ok Tim or somebody...tell him how to fix his post. Thanks.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 11:32am
David, I think I saw that boat on Craigslist- if so, then you did get a good deal!

If you dont mind editing your post and hitting "enter" between the pictures, theyll line up vertically and make them easier to see.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:28pm
Thanks for the help on the post TRBenj. I figured someone would be along to help me out.

Yes, this is the boat on Craigslist. Man, it was up in the giggleweeds. A guy really had to want it to drive up there. I just can't believe the original, and great condition, this boat is in. Its truly a time capsule from 1976. Some new carpeting, and repaint the stripes and trailer, and it should be looking good.

Dave
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:39pm
David,

Welcome, sounds like you are in Chicagoland somewhere, lot's of Chicago guy's here, myself included, grew up in Downers Grove however now up in the northern burbs.

Several of us meeting tonight at the Glenview House for a beer, stop by if you are in the area.
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:55pm
What's up David?? Welcome!

Nice ride!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

... and repaint the stripes and trailer, and it should be looking good.

Dave

It wasnt my place to say it, but now that you have, I was thinking when I saw your pictures, that with the red stripe and trailer tuned up and that great looking matching, vintage truck (picture disappeared when you realigned them)you will have a fine looking rig there.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 4:06pm
75 Tique;

Thanks for saying! I was contemplating leaving it as it was, but, the wife and everybody are saying do the stripes. The trailer is a done deal. It has to be sandblasted and painted.

By the way, does anybody know if the Southwind lettering stencils are available, or am I looking at taping them off?

Dave
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 4:49pm
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 1:04am
Thanks Tim...you are a master on here. I knew you would fix it up if I asked. But how did you bring his picture back on your post? I never cease to be amazed at you guys.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 2:27am
Welcome Dave,I'll keep an eye out for you this summer,I'm down in Algonquin, 1 mile up from the bridge.Where are you at?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 2:48am
Thanks for the welcome Gary. Everybody has been very friendly and helpful on this site. Its much appreciated.

Shoot, we are practically neighbors. I live in Cary. We will definately have to meet up on the river this summer. I think I will be keeping my boat at Port Barrington Marina, right across the river from the Broken Oar.

Dave
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 8:25am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

By the way, does anybody know if the Southwind lettering stencils are available, or am I looking at taping them off?
Dave

Dave, The stripes can be taped off easily. I doubt that you will have any luck fining a stencil for the "Southwind" script but a sign shop can make one. Trace the original and then the shop will scan it into the computer and clean it up. They will then cut the stencils. The best vinyl stencil to go with is the Gerbermask system.

Edit: David, I just relized the you are fairly close to me. I don't know how far you would want to travel if you need a sign shop but the one I use is in Franklin Park. Small shop, 3rd generation hole in the wall but great work. The current owner came up through the trade painting signs by hand!

By the way, CC used Rust-oleum paints back then because they were durable and stuck to the gel coat. They still do! I think your Southwind graphics were "bright red". Don't forget to use 3M "fine line" masking tape.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 1:15pm
Thanks 8122! Where can I find the 3M "fine line" masking tape? Also, do you have the name of the shop in Franklin Park? I want to jump on the graphics ASAP.

Lastly, the stripe itself may have been bright red, but, back in those days, there was a black shading that the factory sprayed around the outer edges of the stripe. Does anybody have any thoughts on how to get that applied? I am thinking either airbrushing on while the tape is still on. However, I don't have an airbrush system. Are there any spray cans that will do detailed work like that?

Thanks!

Dave
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 1:36pm
Dave, It's C. Johnson sign at 9615 Waveland in Franklin Park. Phone is 847 678 2092. You will want to speak to John Johnson.

A good auto supply will have the fine line tape but I do know that West Marine has it too.

The shadowing was done with a air brush. I don't feel you would be able to get the control needed out of a spray can so a air brush would be needed.

When you are tracing the original script, get some tracing of the stripe too. This will give you a refference for when you mask it off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 2:50pm
Davidg,
Congrats on the new boat... If you haven't seen already, the site supports what is now a pretty good size gathering in Green Lake, WI in July. We'd love to have a Southwind like yours up there to show off and talk about. Keep your eyes on the Reunion threads and watch for registration to open in the next couple of weeks.. It's a great time for you and your family to spend the weekend, with over 100 CCfans and the opportunity to see over 30 of the best vintage and modern CC's....

Keep the pics of the refurb coming !!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 5:00pm
Welcome aboard! Nice rig
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 10:46pm
Dave,there is an auto parts store in McHenry on 31 before rt 120,almost next to the roller rink. It used to be called D&J but they are still there,not sure if same name,but they sell automotive paint and supplies.They would have the good tape for sure if you can't find it anywhere else.Almost all auto paint stores around here don't sell retail anymore.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 1:32am
Gary....I know that store well. They do tend to have specialty stuff the big retailers don't carry. I will stop in there next time I am in McHenry to check it out. Can't wait to get after those stripes and get that hull buffed out. It will hopefully look like new by the time the Green Lake Reunion rolls around.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 11:54am
That's the boat I'd like to ride out to the sand bar in. Reminds me, I need to send my CIPA windshield bracket back for warranty replacement from the rollers tearing the threads out of it.
Jay Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:59pm
Why on earth did you get rid of the 87 Martinique, by far the best riding/ski boat manufactured by CC prior to 1995.

Just Curious
Jay Bird 87 Martinique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 1:29am
Jay Bird....I agree. It was a nice riding boat. But, I owned it with another person, and we just decided to disolve our partnership. I really lean toward more classic styling, so I really like the predecessor boats to the Martinique, which are the Southwinds. Same deep-V ride, but, in my opinion better, and more classic styling. Just a personal preference thing I guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic