Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 351W

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
buddysproject View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddysproject Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 351W
    Posted: December-04-2007 at 6:30pm
Hey guys the last thread I posted here has been a great help. I'm hoping this will be just as good. I also need a new engine for my 1987 SN 2001. It had a 351W in it. I plan on keeping all of this as CORRECT as I can and wanted to put another in. Has anyone delt with a company out there that does good work and won't break the piggy bank. I just helped my buddy put a new core in his boat and has run pissa, I'm most likely going to do the same. I also want to replace the carb, and most likely the tranny. Thanks guys.
"If it can't be done in, on, or behind a Nautique it isn't worth doing."

Gregg 1987 SN
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 8:35pm
Try this one maybe, it's used but complete.

351W
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 8:43pm
I have a 351 left hander out of a correct craft, when pulled the boat had 115 hours on it, it was the pro boss with protec, no carb, call me if your interested, 877-369-6693 Eric
I belive it was rated at 315 at 4200rpms
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

pro boss with protec

I belive it was rated at 315 at 4200rpms

That would have been 285hp @ 4800RPM.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 9:37pm
try this guy....WWW.RAPIDOMARINE.COM

We have a left hand "indmar 351" for $500 + shipping, it has about 500hrs on it, mark 321-231 6041...
buddysproject View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddysproject Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 9:57pm
Maddmarxx, I'd be very interested in your 351, where is it located? Is it complete or the block?
"If it can't be done in, on, or behind a Nautique it isn't worth doing."

Gregg 1987 SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by buddysproject buddysproject wrote:

I plan on keeping all of this as CORRECT as I can and wanted to put another in.

You better hope its complete- a LH motor will require a different distributor (or at least the gear), starter and prop (Im assuming it will at least have a good cam in it). The tranny will also need to be reindexed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:07pm
tr, your right i think i cant remember what the cover said, besides i dont think a ford could bust the 300 mark lol   eric
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:37pm
trb- are you sure . i think pro boss pro tec is 300 hp @4800 rpms....285 was the standard engine wasnt it?...
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:40pm
i dunno my motor outta my 94 is the pro boss pro tec carbed(gt 40 heads) and it says 310 horsies on the title.. originally owners title said 310, rons marine papers states 310..my owners manual states 300+...guys down the street with exact boat also said that its "over 300" or "300"..
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

i dunno my motor outta my 94 is the pro boss pro tec carbed(gt 40 heads) and it says 310 horsies on the title..

You can title the boat any way you want. The only difference it could possibly make is in your insurance premiums. It doesnt change whats under the hood.

We've been over this before. Depending on the year and whose literature you believe (CC vs. PCM), the Proboss (carb'd 351w HO) was rated between 285 and "300+" hp. I have found no claims or proof of any physical differences that justify the varying ratings- it appears to be purely marketing.

The base motor was rated between 240 and 260 hp (most commonly 240 or 255). Again, no mechanical differences to account for the different ratings.

Eric, I know youre a Chevy guy, but the GT40 (310hp multiport EFI) will run all over the Excalibur (330hp multiport EFI) out of the hole. Im not a diehard Ford guy, but Im certainly a fan. Though its no speed demon, my boat pulls as strong as anything Ive ever been behind. Pretty sure Im over 300 hp too

MM, if youre willing to seperate pieces on the Indmar, I might be interested in the cooling system (both water pumps, t'stat housing and associated hoses). Maybe the alternator and brackets as well. Shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

MM, if youre willing to seperate pieces on the Indmar, I might be interested in the cooling system (both water pumps, t'stat housing and associated hoses). Maybe the alternator and brackets as well. Shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com

Tim, building a chevy next?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Tim, building a chevy next?

Nope, I just like to collect Ford parts. Last time I checked, an Indmar 351 wasnt a Chevy

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 7:45pm
Tim,
That must be a pic of someone else's boat, as those hoses all say mastercrap.. All joking aside who's boat is it? What model is it?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Tim,
That must be a pic of someone else's boat, as those hoses all say mastercrap.. All joking aside who's boat is it? What model is it?

Of course its someone elses- it sure aint mine!

Not sure whose it is exactly, I just saved it off the MC board. Looks to be an early '90's Prostar (either 190 or 205). 1993 was the last year MC (and maybe Indmar) offered the Ford.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 12:00am
boy you where close there, young'n
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 2:14pm
Chris, I didnt say I would never build a Chevy- just that the next one wont be. Id love to build up a TSC3 196 with a ZR6 using LS/LQ parts.

MM, not sure if you saw my post. I might be interested in the cooling system (water pumps, hoses, stat housing, etc) and possibly the alternator and brackets off that Indmar. Let me know if youre looking to seperate stuff.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 2:23pm
TR, i am a chevy guy, and the fords are'nt that bad, i just like to create controversy because the going back and forth about the engines makes everyone learn a little more about them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 7:45pm
Tim I just thought maybe you were working on it for someone else. I didn't really figure it was yours.

Eric,
Just like I tell my uncle parts for chevys are cheap because you need them all the time. I can't bag on chevys to much the BBC's that I have owned have treated me pretty well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 11:29am
Tim the brand of the motor isn't an issue it's that mastercrap bullsh*t.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 11:37am
79, theres no way your up this early, you had to stay up all night
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 11:39am
James, they produced more chevy parts because they new all these guys would want to put chevy engines in thier ford cars, come to think of it i never seen a 351 in a chevelle
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 11:58am
There's some truth to that Eric. I used to own a '49 Ford panel truck with a 327 Chevy in it. I knew a guy that had a '67 GTO that had a 427 Chevy in it. I always heard it was a lot harder to soup up a Ford or a Pontiac, than a Chevy.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Tim the brand of the motor isn't an issue it's that mastercrap bullsh*t.

In that case, you have nothing to worry about!

MM, you out there? I sent you an email but havent heard back.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 6:26pm
Eric
please answer me this then why could the early 90's ford lighting with a 351 in beat a early 90's 454 SS pick up in a drag race. Seems to me chevy had the ford out cubed by 103. Answer that riddle.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 7:04pm
wasn't the lighting supercharged?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 7:07pm
Not in the early 90's. It got a supercharger in 99 when it was rereleased.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

wasn't the lighting supercharged?

Yes it was. That's the reason that it was the fastest production truck until the Dodge SRT10 blew its doors off. I don't think the SS454 was even a HiPo engine. Just a bone stock BBC. Probably rated at someplace around 300HP. I think the Lightning was rated at 380HP. Big difference.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 7:22pm
Ed you should have read before you posted, the early edition was non-supercharged, but could not hold a candle to the typhoon, now the 454 SS was just that a bone stock nothing fancy truck that you couldn't get a 454 in until then.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 8:19pm
Eddie,
The best ford ever rated the supercharged version at was 360HP. The original had a 351W nothing special, with only 240 HP. If a stock 454 can't beat that there is something wrong. I wasn't try to start an arguement, was just giving Eric the contoversy he likes some much. How ever ford did have a proto type version that was supposed to be rated at 540HP. They used the air conditioner to help the inter-cooler out. But you could only acheive this HP for a limited amount of time, almost like nitros. The motor itself with out help from the AC was rated at just under 500.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic