NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To buy???

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 1:57pm
The stringers are the "backbone" of the hull and engine/transmission. In a worst case scenario and if the stringers are bad enough to cause flexing between both, then it will cause misalignment at the prop shaft. If run long enough, you can damage the trans. It does have the B/W Velvet drive so it is a tough trans but damage is still possible. I personally have not seen hull damage from bad stringers but have heard about it. It would be like driving a car with a cracked frame.

You said your friend said the stringers are OK. Do you know how or if he did any preliminary checks?

I'm just worried after seeing the pictures. A stringer job, if you know is needed and you are willing to do it, is not the "end of the world".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 2:07pm
Pete I wasn't saying it wasn't going to need the stingers replaced, it is definitly going to need them all replaced but I think he could if the mounts are tight baby her through a few seasons with only some relatively minor repairs. Its a decent way to get into a boat for a new ccfan. If they were all mush then it would be an immediate need but if just in the back there and the mounts are tight there is so little a chance of an expensive failure to me its worth the risk to get a few seasons out of it before the stringer job.

I don't recommend buying and then rebuilding immediately if you are new to that type of boat. You may decide its not big enough, strong enough, too loud, etc so its better to get some run time on it before committing to the time and money. If hes good ccfan stock he would fall in love with the boat and then put all that much more effort into the restoration when it is time.

I stand by my earlier recommendation though if the engine doesn't run, now that you know the stringers will need to come out at some point it would be good to pass. A boat that needs stringers and an engine rebuild is a very expensive old boat even when free.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 2:14pm
Joe, I understand what you were saying and the reason I asked what preliminary tests for rot were done (engine mount bolts). I was just disagreeing about doing half of the stringers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I stand by my earlier recommendation though if the engine doesn't run, now that you know the stringers will need to come out at some point it would be good to pass. A boat that needs stringers and an engine rebuild is a very expensive old boat even when free.   

Thats exactly what I was trying to say. I guess it takes someone who owns/owned several CC projects to fully understand that position.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Thats exactly what I was trying to say. I guess it takes someone who owns/owned several CC projects to fully understand that position.

Of course it would be different if it was a particularily desireable/rare model but the late 60's - 70 mustang is about the easiest and cheapest classic CC to to find. However, it is also one of the purest forms of the beast, small loud no frills...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic