NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To buy???

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Parts alone are worth that,could turn out to be a diamond in the rough.

TRBenj, you would have walked on my old boat with that attitude, am so glad I did not ask the big question to you.

The parts may be worth a grand- but does that really matter if you dont part the boat out? If a restore is planned, then you have to at least consider what the finished product will be worth and what it will cost to get to that point. A total restore (repower plus stringers/floor) is a big undertaking that will take a lot of time and money to complete- so it only makes sense to buy the boat right to begin with. Unfortunately (or fortunately), classic CC's just dont appreciate much even when theyre pristine.

Dont get me wrong, Doc- Im a dumpster diver too. Like you, Ive got more money into my boat than I could ever recover. Just trying to apply some logic here. If I didnt do that Id already have more project CC's than Reid.
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:54pm
If you enjoy restoring life to a classic boat that sounds like no other boat out there and you love the looks of a classic boat......Hell just buy the damn thing and make it new again........been there done that and would do it again if i found a boat like that one.

Just being able to say that you rebuilt it and being able to turn heads on the water and have lots of good conversation about the boat.....Before and after Pictures......PRICELESS!

Just my 2 cents worth.
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Parts alone are worth that,could turn out to be a diamond in the rough.

TRBenj, you would have walked on my old boat with that attitude, am so glad I did not ask the big question to you.

The parts may be worth a grand- but does that really matter if you dont part the boat out? If a restore is planned, then you have to at least consider what the finished product will be worth and what it will cost to get to that point. A total restore (repower plus stringers/floor) is a big undertaking that will take a lot of time and money to complete- so it only makes sense to buy the boat right to begin with. Unfortunately (or fortunately), classic CC's just dont appreciate much even when theyre pristine.

Dont get me wrong, Doc- Im a dumpster diver too. Like you, Ive got more money into my boat than I could ever recover. Just trying to apply some logic here. If I didnt do that Id already have more project CC's than Reid.

If I didnt do that Id already have more project CC's than Reid

That's my goal.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:47pm
Just trying to apply some logic here!!!!!!!

What a play on words Tim,If I was doing the above I would not own a 1964 American Skier.
What exactly does "LOGIC" mean??????
It is not in my vocabulary,nor the few that were at Green Lake with classic boats.
The sooner you realize that "a boat is a hole into which you throw money" the sooner you can get treatment.This can come in several ways;
Get a bigger hole OR
A larger wallet................

Death will remove all our sins
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:56pm

Just trying to apply some logic here!!!!!!!

What a play on words Tim,If I was doing the above I would not own a 1964 American Skier.
What exactly does "LOGIC" mean??????

Doc, whether you know it or not, you are either logical or have self control since you only have one CC. Since I lack the latter, I try to use the former- otherwise my collection would be increasing exponentially.

I guess with that sort of reasoning, Vondy should go pick up the boat for $1500 regardless of its condition... no logic required since he's currently CC-less.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 3:45pm
TRBenj
If I had thought logically the air would not be in my brothers garage someone else from ebay would own it. But Tim I definitely see where you coming from. I would say he needs to figure out how much the boat is worth to him and what he wants to do with it.

Boat doc
The thought of the boat being a giant hole to throw money into is great. Because that's just what it is. But the memories I have because of that money pit are priceless. Learning to foot with friends is great but learning to foot with friends and your brother is awsome.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'll bet vondy is thinking he logged into PN! Thanks for turning another thread about a cool old boat into a bitch/whining session guys!!!

Vondy,
Make sure you can take it for a spin before you buy it!
(sorry guys couldn't resist )

Cool little boat.
In my worthless opinion - Grab it!
Looks like a nice base for a resto. If not part it out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 4:11pm
The guy is not claiming this boat runs, taking it for a spin is not a factor here. But he should check the engine condition out for himself in my opinion as others have suggested as well.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 4:17pm
Tim, I currently own more than one boat....

1) 1987 18' ski boat open bow w/ 90 Yamaha
2) 1998 16' Grummen bass boat w/ 40 yamaha
3) 1989 19' VIP Kona speed boat w/150 Merc
4) 1997 17' VIP Open Bow w/140 OMC stern drive
5) 1985 14' Hobie Turbo
6) 1986 16' Hobie
7) 1981 17' Hobie
8) 1982 18' Hobie
9) 1984 18' Hobie
10)1986 18' Hobie
11) 1998 26' Wharrem Catermaran,Home Built

Plus a yard full of parts boats and asst. junkers.
All the above boats can be put in the water today and used,WHERE IS THERE ANY LOGIC IN THE REASONING PROCESS THAT PLAYS OUT IN MY HEAD. I just have more "HOLES " than you
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 4:19pm
Boat doc
If you get anymore "holes" your going to need a bigger wallet.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 4:22pm
You guys crack me up...

Someone's asking if they should buy a boat for $1500 bucks, he's handy, doesn't seem to be worried about the thing, no matter what's wrong with it..... I mean come on.. $1500 is worth $1500 worth of plain ole "work" Anywone willing to buy a boat for this amount, and doesn't think their going to but a few more grand in it to make it reliable, safe, and functional is living in a dream world... Anyone looking to rape the guy for less than $1500 is just being a pig.. Just buy the frigg'n boat, buy another $1500 in beer to enjoy while rebuilding the thing and have a nice day already...I mean, right???

Moj
Happy Holidays hahaha..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Anywone willing to buy a boat for this amount, and doesn't think their going to but a few more grand in it to make it reliable, safe, and functional is living in a dream world...

My point exactly. The advantage is that you can buy the restore/rebuild parts a little as a time. If you buy smart, you can save $$ and possibly come out ahead, or not too far behind.

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Anyone looking to rape the guy for less than $1500 is just being a pig..

If youre talking about the seller, I disagree with you here, Dave. If the big dollar items on the motor (block, heads, intake, exhaust manifolds) are cracked and junk, the boat just isnt worth that much. $1500 wouldnt be a terrible price, but Id be shooting for well under $1k.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 6:22pm
Does anyone here have a website or post detailing a restoration they have done?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 7:04pm
http://www.79skinautique.zoomshare.com/0.html

Also, check skibum's floor/stringer repair thread
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Does anyone here have a website or post detailing a restoration they have done?

All the info you need is right here on this site. Pretty much anything that you can think of has been documented at least once.

To get an idea of whats involved in a total stringer and floor replacement, check out SkiBum's thread like HW mentioned. To get an idea on a reverse rotation engine rebuild, check out 81Nautique's rebuild.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 8:24pm
Based upon photos I've seen, I would think a stringer floor replacement in an old Mustang is less complicated than the replacement in SkiBum's 87 Ski Nautique. Same concept absolutely. Again, just based on photos I've seen, the structure seems a bit simpler in the Mustang. ICBW. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2007 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Learning to foot with friends is great but learning to foot with friends and your brother is awsome.

How right you are Jim...me (56) and my bro (64) still get in a couple double runs every year at Norris Lake. Just awesome...hope we can do it for a long time!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2007 at 5:38pm

1) 1987 18' ski boat open bow w/ 90 Yamaha
2) 1998 16' Grummen bass boat w/ 40 yamaha
3) 1989 19' VIP Kona speed boat w/150 Merc
4) 1997 17' VIP Open Bow w/140 OMC stern drive
5) 1985 14' Hobie Turbo
6) 1986 16' Hobie
7) 1981 17' Hobie
8) 1982 18' Hobie
9) 1984 18' Hobie
10)1986 18' Hobie
11) 1998 26' Wharrem Catermaran,Home Built

Doc, I'm impressed! Your list looks like Reids in the ACBS directory!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2007 at 5:58pm
Pete, DO NOT, I REPEAT , DO NOT BE IMPRESSED..
I need sympathy, understanding and the ability to say yes to sell or no to buy.
Sounds as if my reasoning is awash.....
Reids shed is full of collectible boats,
My shed is full of boats I have collected.
There is a Major difference is my reasoning and his.
        His wallet is fatter than mine
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2007 at 7:54pm
You could drop 1500 at the shrink and still be crazy,or you could drop that 1500 on a boat,still be crazy,but you'd still have the boat.After a tough day at work it's nice to come home and lose your troubles in the boat.Not sure how that works for the Doc or Eric when your work is boats.Like that quote from Peter Griffin of Family Guy fame "A boat is just a boat,but the mystery box could be anything,even a boat"
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2007 at 8:30pm
Jbear
I hope you and your brother get to make those double runs for a long time to come. AS for my brother he is going to Western Michigan in January to be a pilot. So I don't think we will be seeing any doubles from him and I until mid summer.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 1:37am
Well good luck to him...and don't miss any chances to foot together.

BTW Brian...will all this stringer talk...how ya coming on your project? Pics? Daughter pics? Ain't seen any for awhile.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 2:14am
When I bought my boat 13 years ago , I bought it without knowing if it ran . I know it didnt float, for long . So basicaly I bought an anchor .

It was a cool boat . I told my mom, when she offerd for me to buy her nice boat , cheap,
(I want THAT boat !!!)

I paid 1000 because I wanted it . But I also got lucky that it did run .

What it comes down to is ,how bad do you want that particular boat .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 1:06pm
I just bought my Mustang in September. Sight unseen. It was listed for sale in the diaries for $1,400. I took the seller's word for it and paid full price over the phone. Did not even try to negotiate. The part about the parts being worth the price is one way to rationalze buying the boat sight unseen. IF you end up buying a POS, you know you won't lose. In my case, the boat was just as decsribed by the seller. I couldn't be happier with it.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 10:53pm
Bruce that is one nice looking Mustang,doesn't look like it needed anything.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2007 at 11:47pm
Thanks Gary. The pics were taken after a several good wahshings and waxings. It was dirty.   What you can't see is I've pulled the inetrior out, ripped up the floor, removed the foam, pulled the gas tank, and am having Eric L. rebuild the tranny.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 12:30pm
Got some more info and pics. Turns out the stringers were not replaced but are solid, although they might need repair in back. The floor panels are solid (fiberglass). Does need a new starter. Carpet of course needs to be replaced.

That's what I know. I'm thinking more $1,000 than $1,500.

thanks!

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 12:40pm
Well the stringers certainly dont look good back there at all. If they are dryer up front and solid you could probably conduct some remediation in the back that would get you through some years, but I wouldnt be spending a lot of money on flooring or carpet over those stringers that you will have to tear up when you eventually replace them. If you get it for a grand I still think you should go for it though, if its running. I could probably send you a working starter for the cost of shipping if you want to try it out. I am pretty sure I have at least 1 maybe two kicking around the shop.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 12:55pm
David, I once again do not want to scare you away from this boat but from the looks of the wood and missing glass that you will need to do stringer work. I don't really agree with Joe's idea of doing a partial on the rear. As long as you are tearing out bad sections, you might as well do them all. I'd like to add that I think you will find problems with the wood forward too. The test's for solid stringers are preliminary. If you buy it, you can drill some holes into the stringers close to the hull and see what comes out. What did you do to check them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 1:37pm
I have not seen the boat. All of my info is coming from my friend selling it. He believes it will be ready for the water, not restored but ready to ride, with a new starter, carburetor work, minor engine work, rope packing, new battery and registration.

Would the stringers needing repair keep it out of the water?

Again, I want a usable boat that I can restore during the downtimes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic