Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Un-winterized and it’s cold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Un-winterized and it’s cold
    Posted: November-18-2007 at 2:19pm
I got off the phone this morning with my brother and I finally remembered to ask him if he ran into any problems winterizing the boats and jet ski back in early October. It turns out he was not able to "get to it" and planned to take care of it over Thanksgiving weekend.

Its been cold the last week or so in western Maryland with a few inches of snow. Temps have been in the 50 days and low 30's at night w/some 20s.

I called the marina and the guy told me not to worry so much b/c problems will only develop only after prolonged exposure to cold weather when un-winterized. Is this right?

Checking out weather.com the temps should remain the same until the weekend when we can get it winterized.

How big of a problem do I have here, aside from an need for a new brother?

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 7:56pm
The well above freezing temps during the day are helping you greatly. It takes several days of temps below freezing all day long to cause damage. So you should not have a problem.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

you should not have a problem.

Famous last words. With daytime temps in the 50's, you might be OK- but you wont catch me risking it this time of year. Having someone drain the block is cheap insurance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 11:31pm
Thanks for the info. I think this gives me a great reason to ditch some responsibilites and head to the lake this week. I guess this is what happens when you own and loan. I'm just glad I asked him about it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 11:38pm
Also, I forgot to ask...when will I lose Newbie status???? Is it based on tenure or postings? Just hate being the low man on the pole.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2007 at 12:06am
after so many post...dont know the exact number..100?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2007 at 12:21am
It needs to get down to about 18 degrees for 12 hours to crack a block.
Tim D
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2007 at 1:03pm
Our neighbor still has is I/O on the lift. It hasn't gotten any lower than 29 a few random nights, highs still hitting 40s consistantly. Our pontoon boat is still in the water as well.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2007 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

It takes several days of temps below freezing all day long to cause damage. So you should not have a problem.

Several days? Try it out and let me know your results.

If days are still 40-50 degrees you'll be okay, just get it done sooner than later.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2007 at 1:16pm
put a glass of water outside in your climate, if it freezes solid your in trouble
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2007 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

put a glass of water outside in your climate, if it freezes solid your in trouble

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 1:03pm
I really dont understand the thought process here....when you are done skiing for season, clean the boat,winterize,and put it away. Why take any risk? Why try and guess the weather or freezing point of the motor? I have friends that do this every year. If you cant find time to winterize it, when are you going to get time to pull the motor?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

I really dont understand the thought process here....when you are done skiing for season, clean the boat,winterize,and put it away. Why take any risk? Why try and guess the weather or freezing point of the motor? I have friends that do this every year. If you cant find time to winterize it, when are you going to get time to pull the motor?

EM, The thought process is simple: if the lake isn't iced over, you can keep skiing. What risk are you referring too? If done properly there isn't a risk and you don't need to guess any freezing point. Why go through the time of winterizing when it's not required? People do throw some blankets over their dog house and use these all winter long. You can even be the first one out on the lake after ice-out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 6:03pm
Well I still have the Air unwinterized, but it is sitting in the garage so I am not worried about it yet. Plus I want to take it for another ride before winterizing it. The BFN is winterized though.

Pete do you have a link for that thing?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 6:13pm
Sorry, Here it is:
heater at West
They ave several wattages. I do remember a thread a year ago that someone was putting a plain light bulb under the dog house. Not the safest but it worked!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 7:10pm
Thanks Pete a little steep on price but, if it extends the ski season. Not sure I will be getting one, looks safer then a light bulb.
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 11:52pm
I put a light bulb in when it starts really getting cold and plug it in during the few nights it actually gets below 32. I'll unplug it during the day. Oh, and drain the plug on the block.
bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:53am
James, here's a cheaper why to go. It is a enclosure heater ment to be keep electronics/electrical components warm when the box is outside. It is designed to be bolted to the inside wall of the enclosure so you would need to bolt it to a plate with feet to keep it upright in the bilge.

Mcmaster part # 36415K26
$76.00   500watts   Size is 8 3/8" Lg. x 1 1/2" Wd. x 3 1/2" Ht.
The danger with a light bulb is if it breaks, it may create sparks. This will not break and it does have a built in thermostat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:29pm
Pete that looks cool, alot easier on the wallet too. That would be something worth getting to prolong the ski season. I worried about a light bulb sparking and making a big boom as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 2:28am
We were able to get everything square for the winter yesterday. The only damage was suffered by us after few cases of Natty Bo'

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic