NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Graphics

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2007 at 3:17pm
Doc, The boot top Petit paint isn't special. It's the packaging! They sell it in the half pint cans because you don't need very much!! It had me wondering way back what would be different with the paint. I then found out it was the size!

From the Petit web site:

Products > Topside Paint >Boot Top Paint >Boot Top Paint

Topside Paint      Boot Top colors are easy-brushing enamels in small convenient sizes. Use for Boot Tops, hull graphics and other accents. May also be sprayed with Thinner 121, if desired.
Part Number      Description      Size
1814712      Boot Top White 8147      HP      PDS      MSDS
1821612      Boot Top Blue 8216      HP      PDS      MSDS
1861412      Boot Top Red 8614      HP      PDS      MSDS
1882812      Boot Top Black 8828      HP      PDS      MSDS

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2007 at 9:38pm
That is not true Pete,the 8614 is different.This is the color I chose, and is only available in qts.or pints.And the desciptition states it as a boot top for below waterline.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 8:54am
Doc, Next time you or I talk to someone at Petit, we'll have to ask. I was told years ago that the boot top paints were the same as their "Shipndeck".(just in smaller cans) This of coarse was before Petit and Z-spar merged.

Here's the text from Petit describing the boot top. Note that it is not recommended for constant immersion.

"Pettit Boot-Top Enamels brushes on easily. This paint is ideally suited for detail work such as painting hull graphics and boot stripes. Boot-Top enamel provides excellent gloss and vibrant colors for superior visibility. The ease of application, seasonal durability and convenient sizes make this a great value compared to other enamel marine paints.
May be brushed or sprayed. Use Pettit Z-Spar T-8 paint and varnish thinner to thin for spraying. Not recommended for areas under constant immersion."

By the way, I know of no paint besides anti-fouling that is recommended for bottoms. Even the high end polys.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 3:26am

Good Lord...A BOOT TOP...I just thought it was a vinyl pinstripe!!!
Pat's is indeed at the water line, but it appeared to me, looking at the brochure picture,
that the stripe was well above where the water would hit it.
Now I'm totally confused!?!?
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 9:59am
Adam, Because I dropped the ball in my earlier post, I need to respond in a proper manner here! Pat's doesn't look original! There were a lot of years that CC didn't put boot stripes on. There were also lot's of inconsistencies. My first CC was a 70 red Barracuda with a boot stripe. My neighbor on the lake had the exact same red Barracuda that was purchased in the same summer and we always thought was the same year. It came from CC without the boot stripe! I even think both boats were delivered to Watercraft Sales on the same truck!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pat's doesn't look original!

Ill bet you $10 that Pat's stripe is original!

Looks to be in the exact same place as the brochure to me. Notice that the boat in the brochure is on plane so the stripe looks further up than it would when the boat is resting in the water.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 6:06pm
We are comparing apples to oranges here. One boat is on plane the other is at rest in the water. But I think I agree with Pete on this I am not sure pat's stripe is in the original place. Look at the brochure pic, check the distance between the stripe and eyelet on the bow. Plus looks to be that Pat's stripe is a little further than halfway down the side and the back of the boat. I could be wrong, but I am just going off the comparing the two pics.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 6:43pm
Hard to tell, either way, it's pretty high for a water line, or what ocean guys around here call a boot stripe.

Seems like most of the 60's fiberglass boats had white tape for a water line. Some had two stripes like the Barracuda or Wildcat. Some had one stripe like the Mustang, (although even some of those had 2).

What I want to know, did Correct Craft paint any of their stripes on the 60's boats, or were they all tape? I just noticed last week end that the stripe on my Mustang, (which is in good shape, is paint, and not tape.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

We are comparing apples to oranges here. One boat is on plane the other is at rest in the water. But I think I agree with Pete on this I am not sure pat's stripe is in the original place. Look at the brochure pic, check the distance between the stripe and eyelet on the bow. Plus looks to be that Pat's stripe is a little further than halfway down the side and the back of the boat. I could be wrong, but I am just going off the comparing the two pics.

Im almost positive that the stripe's in the same spot. This pic will show where the stripe ends up in relation to the bow eye.

Pat's stripe isnt any further down than the brochure pic- youd be surprised how much boat there is below the waterline on the smaller CC's. Here's Reid's '73 Mustang (all original, same hull and stripe) for reference.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 7:10pm
The boot top on my 70 Barracuda was white vinyl tape. As far as Pats being original or in the original spot, we'll have to wait for him to comment. Pat, where are you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 3:48am
In all fairness, I need to point out the Pat's Skier is a 1972 and the brochure picture is of the 1973.

But the only picture of the Skier in the 72 brochure only adds to the mystery!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 8:59am
Adam, Due to the many inconsistencies we find with the CC's (the 70 red Barracuda story I posted is a good one), plus the fact that common brochure pictures were used for several model years, you shouldn't worry too much. Has your boat been painted? The reason I ask is if you find any evidence of holes were the CC plastic tags would have been on the hull sides near the stern. I would safely say that you could get tags from White lake and paint the accent (not a boot top) stripe on the boat without the worry of it being non-original. It certanly would eliminate the "plain" look. If you get the black plastic tags, there is a simple painting proceedure to reproduce the original look. It has been posted but I'd be happy to go through it for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 11:31am

Has your boat been painted?

Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

The guy I bought it from painted it with automotive paint
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 12:28pm
Tim, I've been meaning to ask: How do you get two quotes from different posts just like you did above. Do you just click on each "quote" icon in each of the posts?

Thanks by the way for pointing out that Adams boat has been painted. Missed it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 12:45pm

Tim, I've been meaning to ask: How do you get two quotes from different posts just like you did above. Do you just click on each "quote" icon in each of the posts?

Thanks by the way for pointing out that Adams boat has been painted. Missed it!

I just copy/paste or edit the code.

Still waiting for Pat to chime in- I got to see his boat up close and it looks all original to me. Just the way I like it!
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 3:57am
DrCC Wrote:If you are handy with a spray can and a rubber sanding block. You could have a pair exactly like these for under 40 dollars.

Here's how. Order new emblems from either Southeast or Midwest Correct Craft. Go to your local hardware store and buy 1 spray can of "Krylon Fusion" (Dover White) a 3M Rubber Sanding Block, 1 sheet of 400 grit, 1 sheet of 600 grit 3M Wet sand paper. Clean and spray emblems dover white. Let dry for over 24 hours. Wet sand lettering w/block, thru the white, thru the chrome, and wah-la, instant black on white emblems.

PETE: I checked back through the site for that technique that you mentioned, this is it right?
Sound like something even a simpleton like me can do !!! I'm going for it!!!
But I gotta tell ya, I'm really thinking of the American Waterski Assn decals, I really love that vintage look they have.
I see what you say, CC was not known for their consistancy, were they?!?
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 8:55am
Adam, That's the technique. I would however change one thing. Use a hard block (piece of wood) for sanding the paint off the top of the letters. I feel it will give you a sharper edge between the white and the black. The softer rubber block has a tendency to sand over the edges of the lettering.

The USA banners were coming from the factory in the early 70's on a lot of the models (my 70 Barracuda had them) However, I believe it was only the Tiques and Nautiques that had the AWSA decals. It was only for I'd say 4 or so years as I believe it had to do with the AWSA sanctioning those two boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 10:23am
Pete, do you know a guy named Frank, who supposedly publishes a Century magazine? I was talking with a guy out of Cincinnati who owns Sun n Fun marine, his name is Mike, and he restores old century's, actually he is the guy i did the dearbo for a few years back
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 10:55am
Sorry Eric I don't know him. Was he in the businees of restoration or was he doing his own boat? It sounds like he's been around for awhile but, on the other hand there are lots who have jumped into the "restoration" business in the past few years. It's why I always caution people who want a boat done to really do the research on whoever they are looking at.

Here's a late 50's Dearbo down angle. I'll bet everone here thinks PCM invented it!!! Not so!! It was rebuilt a couple years ago. Maybe it's the same one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 11:41am
thats identical to the one i rebuilt for Mike at sun in fun, its in a century, inovaters of the down angle???
Im doing Rileys now, its dam close to a BW on the spec sheet except for the input shaft, it does have its own oil pump unlike the one pictured which must run off engine oil pressure. i would think the boat companies approached ford engineering and they are the ones that came up with the dearbo...and then they were manufactured by company x, you know what i mean....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 11:54am
I did think Riley's was a later version and had it's own pump because he did said it had ATF in it.

The ones that ran off the engine oil had this dual cavity pump on the engine. One side for the engine lube and the other side for the trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 12:19pm

I thought Riley's was a later version and had it's own pump because he said it had ATF in it.

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Im doing Rileys now, it does have its own oil pump unlike the one pictured which must run off engine oil pressure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I thought Riley's was a later version and had it's own pump because he said it had ATF in it.

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Im doing Rileys now, it does have its own oil pump unlike the one pictured which must run off engine oil pressure.

Tim, My wording was off! When I said "thought", I was confirming that Rileys had the self contained pump. The picture of the dual cav pump was just for Erik's benefit to show what the early versions were driven from.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 12:45pm
I dont have my camera or i'd snap one, but it does have a pump which it is not a gear pump, it is ecentric with 7 springs and small puck like pieces, not vanes but the same principal as a vane pump...its pretty unique. you could easily drop a borg in place because the stack-up is the same, 4" flange, only thing is you would have to run a different damper
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 6:55pm
Quick thread jack, Eric check your email tonight.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2007 at 9:53pm
Pat! We've been looking for you and just noticed you posted in another thread. I wanted to bring this back to the top in the hopes you would see it. We have been debating wether or not the accent strip on your boat is original and or in the original location. Several postings above are the pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Out of curiousity, were you able to find black Correct Craft step pads, or generic ones? If CC, where did you get them?

Generic ones But in my defense, I purchased and installed them prior to knowing that CorrectCraftFan.com ever existed!!!But now I see the light!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 6:07pm
So would that make a reborn CC owner???
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:30am
Yep, took the boat out yesterday for a run, it's been a month since we've been out. I'll have to change my tag line, could only get her to 42-43 mph.
It's the original speedo, and from some of the reading I've done, they're not so accurate anyway are they???
Who knows how fast/ slow I'm going?!? but it sure feels great!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:35am
Where is Pat anyway...how do I get his attention??? I still want to know if his "BOOT TOP" is in the original position!?!?
-Adam

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic