Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 wood Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1960 wood Atom Skier
    Posted: October-24-2007 at 3:14pm
Pete or any others have any input on this listing? I know that the engine box has been modified, but how does the rest look? The same as my '59, but has a Grey V8. Could this be the stock motor? I am close to pulling the trigger to get this one, even with the 2 day drive to get it. Of course, this is assuming it has not turned to ash yet in California. The price seems really reasonable.

Thanks
Brian

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 3:48pm
Brian, The dog house has been modified. It was the first thing that caught my eye when it was listed on Ebay. The guy removed the side draft carb(s) and with the downdraft needed the "extension" on the dog house. It is unbelievable how many times I have seen this when someone simply can't figure out the side drafts!! They will then turn the boat into a big abortion! My 312 has the Carter YH's in the valley. NO problems!

At least he saved the manifold and carb(s)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 5:36pm
Brian, The 138HP Gray is listed in the 1961 ref section for the 16' Atom so I will say it is one of the stock engines even though it's a 1960. It is going to take some work but you are are the pro now from doing the first one!! I hope you get it. Good luck. Keep us informed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 5:51pm
That's the hang up. I haven't done the first one yet. Just started. But isn't that the first rule in spending... Why do one when you can do two at twice the cost?

I have factory pictures for 1960 that match almost every detail on this boat with the exception of the motor. Everything I find has a 4 cylinder with a single exhaust outlet. You are right though, this could be a late '60 that got the larger motor.
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 8:17am
Did someone here buy this boat? I'd like to know the end of the story.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 6:22pm
I bought it. Now I am arranging a 18 hour trip (one way) to pick it up. I must have been dropped on my head once or twice when I was little. Hard to pass up a complete wooden CC with all the hardware and not too badly molested though. The current owner bought it in this condition and decided he was not going to get to it any time soon. In his opinion, with a little tinkering, it could go in the water. May try that before tearing into it. I will keep you posted when I pick it up.
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 6:27pm
Brian, congratulations! Well now you really have some work ahead of you. Good luck on the trip.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 9:21pm
How you going Fins,or rather if you want to stop in Oklahoma give me a shout,could give you a place to lay over a bit.Close to I=35
I-40 junction

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 9:22pm
FINS, I asked for the end of the story because I was out of town when the sale closed and looked really hard at that ad before we left.

Congratulations, safe journey, and keep us posted!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 11:51pm
Thanks for the offer Munday. We are driving down from Seattle to pick it up in West Hills, Ca. (just outside of LA).
Buffalo, I watched it throughout the auction as well. I think half hoping that it would be sold when I checked. I am really excited about the boat, but not so much about the trip. Just for fun, I got a quote to ship it. $2275 if I waited at least 14 days. A two day road trip doesn't sound so bad after that.
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 11:52pm
You know you will owe us some pics of the road trip FINS...don't forget the camera.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 11:01am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

You know you will owe us some pics of the road trip FINS...don't forget the camera.

I suggest leaving the wife at home and bringing a buddy, stopping at every titty bar along the way.
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 11:58am
My wife is only good for about 2 hours of car travel at a time. I love her, but I would kill her on a trip like this! My Dad is going with me as well as my skiing buddy.

I can't find the titty bar option when programming a route with TomTom. Thats a feature that would come in handy!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 12:02pm
FINS, the road trip is half the fun. Have a great time!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic