NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing a rub rail

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
aokcaldwell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing a rub rail
    Posted: October-18-2007 at 11:49pm
I removed the rubrail from my 95 Ski Nautique and am replacing it with a new kit. Do I try to drill into the old holes that are random or caulk the old holes and drill new holes. If so, do I need to drill a pilot hole prior to srewing in? Any hintS, ideas or suggestions?

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 12:54am
I would see if it lines up with existing holes. If not caulk or epoxy them and pilot drill new ones for sure or stress cracking might become an issue
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 1:02am
There was a fellow on planetnautique.com who has done this several times. He posted a pretty good step by step process. If I recall, he was an advocate of using the same holes and had a method for doing so. You might do a search there. I think his name on planetnautique is wakejunky. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 1:17am
Thanks, I'll look.

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 1:39am
Here is the link you told me about. Thanks!

AC.

The rub rail can be replaced, it's actually not all that hard. The biggest problem is getting the screws through the new rub rail and into the same holes on the deck.

Procedure:
1.) Remove end caps
2.) Remove insert
3.) Remove screws from rubrail
4.) If not already there, score a line above the screw holes but, below the rubrail height. This will prevent any spider cracks from the screw holes to come up past the rubrail.
5.) Warm up new rubrail. Either put into a box and put a hair dryer running on it or leave it in the sun. It'll be much easier to work with.
6.) crayon or grease pen a vertical line above each screw hole above the rubrail for reference when inserting new screws. You want to drive the screws into the same holes so, this will let you know where the screw holes are. Don't drive the screws in tight because the new rubrail will be wavy otherwise. Just get them sorta tight. Don't worry about it being too perfectly straight at this time, just get it close.
7.) You'll probably need somebody to help you, for holding it in place as well as pulling it tight. Will also need a heat gun to warm up the rubrail to get around the nose.
8.) Once the rubrail is installed, check for straightness. If not straight, whack with rubber hammer until straight. Don't worry they can take quit a bit of whacking.
9.) Install insert. Again use rubber hammer to get it into the slot.
10.) Install end caps.
11.) If you have any marks or anything on it you can get a rag with some Acetone on it and clean up the rubrail.
12.) Crack open a beer and admire your work.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 5:59pm
Anyone know off hand what size screws are in there. I have a bent screw I'd like to replace.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 7:11pm
Yeah. Just put the screws in and use a hammer to get it straight!!!

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 7:56pm
HW is going to have fun with the guy saying not to worry they can take quite a whacking.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 8:03pm
James, that list doesn't need much the way it is!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Yeah. Just put the screws in and use a hammer to get it straight!!!

The screw is bent to the point of not being able to put it in.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 8:47pm
Yes, they are 1 1/4" stainless steel screws with a #2 phillips head. Give me your address and i'll ship you a dozen. They are my old ones and I received new ones in my rub rail kit.

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 1:21pm
OK. Got conflicting reports. (2) reputable CC dealers said they don't use the old holes. They put the new rail up, drill a small pilot hole and put a screw in about every 3'. Also, he said make sure to have a heat gun to get around the bow and the curves at the stern than go back and drill in the remainder of the screws in. All CC dealers stated not to tighten too much as you will see where every screw was driven in. They also stated that if you hit an existing hole just leave the screw in it and drill another one next to it. Does this sound about right?

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2007 at 12:29am
Originally posted by aokcaldwell aokcaldwell wrote:

Yes, they are 1 1/4" stainless steel screws with a #2 phillips head. Give me your address and i'll ship you a dozen. They are my old ones and I received new ones in my rub rail kit.

AC.

Thanks for the info and the offer! You don't need to go to the trouble of sending your extras to me though as much as I appreciate it. I only need one and probably have one in the toolbox. Thanks again.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 12:43pm
Come on guys, throw me a bone. Woody shipped me the rubrail kit and it's still in the same location. In a box on the floor! Besides, my wife said she loves the boat but if I don't get it out of the garage before winter, she said I can name the boat "Divorce"
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 1:21pm
Don't try to match the old holes. They will never be perfect and you do not want buckles in the rail. This is also the reason they have recommended just snugging up the screws and not really tighten then.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by aokcaldwell aokcaldwell wrote:

Come on guys, throw me a bone. Woody shipped me the rubrail kit and it's still in the same location. In a box on the floor! Besides, my wife said she loves the boat but if I don't get it out of the garage before winter, she said I can name the boat "Divorce"

Time to get a new wife or another garage.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:15pm
Update for all who helped. The railing went in great. Pre drilled all new holes. Two people and a hot sunny day made the install go easy. Suggestions were very helpful, omitted the "whacking" step though.
Also, kept the wife and am considering adding on to the garage!

Thanks,

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic