Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"correct craft" emblems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
elton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "correct craft" emblems
    Posted: September-24-2007 at 3:26pm
hi, I need chrome correct craft side emblem for my 66 stang. We had it painted a few years ago, and upon launching it fell off in the lake. Can anybody help?
elwood
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 8:33pm
Elton, Those are so rare and in such demand, I think you had better go get some SCUBA gear. If you find one, be prepared to pay several 100 bucks!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 12:40am
Someone should just recast them and sell them for 100 bucks. A lot of people do this for Chris Craft and Century parts and emblems.
I would buy a set and get them chromed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 9:45am
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Someone should just recast them and sell them for 100 bucks. A lot of people do this for Chris Craft and Century parts and emblems.
I would buy a set and get them chromed.

We need a die guy to make us a die to have them zinc die cast. The problem right now is we would have to go to China to find one!!!

I have looked into it here at work but the zinc die casting is out of our manufacturing expierience. I need to find a friend in die casting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
elton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 3:56pm
I have started two avenues to get some emblems made. The machinist here at work might be able to make them out of aluminum, or stainless. Which is better for polishing, or chromeing?
elwood
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 4:21pm
Stainless can be electro polished to a near chrome look and the buffed by hand. It will also hold it's shine better. A bright anodize on aliminum will not look like chrome. To get the bevel on the letters, you will need at least a 4 axis lazer or wire EDM. Does your machinist have the equipment?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 7:39pm
I can make you a pair in plastic, just spray paint them silver. $25 a pair plus shipping.
Tim D
elton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 7:57pm
well Tim that sounds great. It would get me through until I get a replacement made. I work at a Nuke Plant and do not know what exact machine they have. the 4 axis cutter sounds right, but I do not know. My email is eljen@yahoo.com. Please email me when you can for information. Thanks
elwood
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 8:30pm
Elton, With a 4 axis machining center you will get rounded inside corners the radius of the cutter. Even if you used a very small dia. cutter for a clean up, you won't get the corners. This is why I mentioned the lazer or the wire EDM.

You could take the plastic and have them chrome plated too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
70ccstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70ccstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 9:26pm
hey tim ill take a pair of those and ill have them vapor chromed they will last forever
elton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2007 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

I can make you a pair in plastic, just spray paint them silver. $25 a pair plus shipping.
elwood
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2007 at 2:19pm
What is vapor chrome? Is it expensive?
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2007 at 2:48pm
Vapor chrome is not a good choice. It is not true chrome. Take a look at the second paragraph. This is copied from a metalizer company:

Custom Chrome Plastic,

Quote:
Many People think it’s impossible to chrome plastic, it is not. While it is possible to electroplate/chrome plate on plastic it is a difficult and expensive process. Vacuum metalizing is the most common process used for a chrome look on plastic. Vacuum Metallizing is process used to make, toys, flash light reflectors and automotive trim, shine like chrome.

Vacuum Metalizing DOES NOT have the same durability or corrosive resistance that chrome plating does.

Before parts are metalized they are washed and basecoated to ensure a smooth finish to coat over

During the Vacuum Metallizing process aluminum is evaporated in a vacuum chamber, which than condenses back on and bonds to the parts to form a uniform layer, which shines like chrome.

After the metalizing takes place there is a protective topcoat applied similar to the ones used in the automotive industry. You can also add dyes to the topcoat to achieve bright chrome colors gold’s, bronze’s, copper’s, and gunmetal’s.

Chrome vacuum metalizing should not be cleaned with abrasive materials; you should only clean it with a damp soft rag. The chemicals in household cleaners can affect the clear coat casing it to become hazy/milky.

Vacuum Metallizing conforms to the base material that is being coated. If there is texture, scratches, blister, etc it will show through the coating.

It is much more environmentally friendly and cost effective than chrome plating or chrome painting.

You can vacuum metalize many materials including plastic, metal, glass, fiberglass, and more. There are many different applications for Vacuum Metallizing including; automotive and motor sport accessories, automotive interior trim, sporting goods, toys, models, novelty items, display items, decorative fixtures, cosmetic closures, etc.

If you want the look of custom chrome on anything plastic, glass, metal, etc. Mueller Corporation can do the job.

Please Read Terms for Custom Jobs.

Edit:
Plastic can be chrome plated. All it takes is a conductive coating be sprayed on it first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2007 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Vapor chrome is not a good choice.

Vacuum Metalizing DOES NOT have the same durability or corrosive resistance that chrome plating does.

I wouldnt rule it out- it sounds better than spraypaint. What reasonable alternatives do you have for plastic? Obviously, a reproduction in al or SS would be better, but this sounds like a decent solution in the meantime.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2007 at 3:25pm
Tim, Sorry my post script looked like part of the statements from the metalizer!

Edit:
Plastic can be chrome plated. All it takes is a conductive coating be sprayed on it first.

Lots of plastic parts are chromed. Look at automotive! It is more expensive because of the extra steps. All it takes is a plater who is set up for it.

Reflective Mylar film (space blanket) is a good example of vapor deposition/metalizing. It will not hold up. The plating is a better option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 2:00am
Tim, I'm interested in a set also.Please email me thru my profile.Thanks Gary
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
70ccstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70ccstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 2:09pm
tim post you email if you want to sell those thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2007 at 1:15am
70ccstang, those emblems are 15" long and the holes are 6 5/8" apart. Is that the size you're looking for?
Tim D
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 11:02pm
Tim D I'll take 2 pair. I've got a guy that says he can make me a mold if I can get him one to use. I have a 1966 Skylark with the 2 "CHROME" ones in near perfect condition and don't want him to use one of mine. Shoot me an e-mail.Thanks,Marty Mabe   mtmabe@northstate.net here in High Point,NC
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 9:17pm
Marty, what kind is he going to make? Why would you want 2 pair to make one mold?
Tim D
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 3:06am
I was gonna use one pair to bolt on to the back of my seats, or put on the pockets that go on the back off the seats. The other pair, one would go to the mold maker, the other just to hang up in the shop.
Ralph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 6:51pm
Just checking to see how the emblems hunt was going I need a set myself, thanks topcoprr2@hotmail.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Ralph Ralph wrote:

Just checking to see how the emblems hunt was going I need a set myself, thanks topcoprr2@hotmail.com

Ralph, You need to be more specific as to what type of emblems you need. I don't remember seeing if you posted the year of your boat. CC made 3 types. The early chrome plated zinc die casting, the plastic with black letters and white edges and the plastic with chrome letters and black edges.

The plastic is available but the zinc die castings are hard to come by.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 11:57pm
I'm still waiting to hear back from TimD. It seems like people post something and then forget about their posts.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 1:14am
I sent emails to you and elton, no response. I sold that pair on ebay. I can make some more if you want them.
Tim D
Ralph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 6:53pm
Hey Tim sorry about not giving the info. I really do not know what I am looking for but I am restoring a 77 Natique and I don't have anything on the outside,need advise.
               thanks Ralph
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 7:49pm
Ralph, He's a picture of a 77 Nautique from our ref. section. I hope it helps. The tags you need are available and I'll get a link for you. The originals are the black letters with white edges. The replacements come as black plastic but you paint them white with one of the spray paints for plastic and then wet sand the tops exposing the black. Just like the original!!!

tags at white lake marine

How about some pictures of your project??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2008 at 10:46pm
TimD sorry but I never received an email.Tell me where to send the money order and it's out to you. Thanks again,Marty Mabe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic