Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"No cold start"---UPDATE

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
keegan99usa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "No cold start"---UPDATE
    Posted: September-02-2007 at 6:12pm
Ok, I've tried a couple things to no avail.
First I do not have a distibutor and rotor, so that's not it. I have the electronic ignition, but I have no spark. It ran great last time out, sat for a week and a half while it rained(covered). Now it does not fire. I checked the gap of all plugs, same .035". I pulled one plug and tried to ground it to the block and turned it over, nothing, no spark, took the plug out of the wire, no spark from the wire either. What do I check now? Is it time for a trip to the shop?

Thanks

Dan
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2007 at 7:32pm
More info would help. Year, engine, hours, What have you changed, if anything prior to the problems starting?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2007 at 10:04pm
ok, you're right. 1991 SNCB 351, 326 hours. I have not changed anything, but the electronic ignition has been converted before I got the boat. Other than that, I do not have any info.
Dan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 11:49am
So it doesn't have a dist. but has been converted to electronic? What type ignition is this? Pro-Tec?

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 4:52pm
it's the pro-tec and got feed a line of sh*t about it being replaced and "converted" with another POS pro-tec.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 7:07pm
Whoa now 79nautique. How do you know this? Was this your boat before? Am I missing something here?
Backfoot, what type I do not know, I will have to look at it and find out. Is there a certain wire I can check to make sure it's not something as easy as the wire from the keyswitch not working right? Where should I start to check to save myself a buck or two? I am going to take it to a dealer otherwise and just have them fix it and winterize it right away unless I can get this thing going easily. I mean, it ran great the last time out, now it has no fire. Does not make sense does it? When I look under the dash, what's the best thing to check first with a test light?

Dan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 7:40pm
If it's a Pro-Tec, Good luck. It has been extensively talked about in this forum in the past. I believe DavidF (if I remember correctly) is the guru of the Pro-Tec.

Basically, the Pro-Tec is a first generation EI that you cannot get parts for anymore unless you have the EFI version. It is prone to failure after years of use and the only suitable fix is to scrap it and put in a EI distributor and wiring kit that you can buy from Skidim. If it's not a Pro-Tec, the description that you've given us doesn't tell us where to even start looking. It could very well be something simple but there is no starting point until we can get more info about what is in there.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic