NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi Teks ,,Worth the Hype or Waste ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 5:36pm
Ok 85...I'm waiting for you to tell us you know where to get all the blanks we need...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
85nautiquematt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 6:45pm
I may have been mistaken, I thought I read on the site that Cam Research would make roller cams for RR motors. Maybe this could be done if there was a group purchase. Not many shops are going to perform a special set up for a one off cam. I know roller rockers can help free up some friction. A improved cam would be next but a roller would add some free HP.
I would go rockers, cam (roller preferably), ported heads, intake then exhaust.
Nothin like the sound of a mid 80's Nautique at mid throttle.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 6:58pm
85nautiquematt, you thought WRONG.As Tim posted earlier, there are no RR blanks to be had.
TRBenj and I have a lot of money tied up in our motors, this would have been added had the blanks been available. Scott at Cam Research cut my cam,and stated the flat tappets are getting scarce.
My 331 block started life as a roller motor,wish i could have kept the set up.............boat dr

By all means do your own search,if you can come up with a dozen i will buy 6 myself.Who else wants one, talk is cheap 85,cams ain't..
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 6:59pm
85nautiquematt

If I am going to pull the top part of the motor apart, I am going to do it right the first time and do the whole deal. Bore, stroke, new heads new cam. That is why the Hi-Teks were the right thing at the right time for me...

I agree with TRBenj blanks for a roller for the BBC RR will be very hard ti find if they can be found at all.

TRBenj

We could always find a new python laying around somewhere and drop it in, it's a roller motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 7:13pm
Is the python LH? I'm guessing so...was told the 425HP 454 was LH. Looks like the cam is the reason.I did some reading(probably not enough), and I realize the rotational shape differences...but why is it? Is there just so little demand?

Pardon my ignorance
1988 BFN-sold

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 7:31pm
Hey there boat dr. I guess I was wrong about the RR roller cams. I will read more carefully in the and do more research in the future as well. But I will say if your going to come off in the tone you did, I won't provide any information for you if I find a RR roller blank cam.. lighten up okay. Forget the roller cam, there's other areas for power. I thought this was a cool site. Maybe not all on it are cool though ? RELAX
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 7:40pm
BuffaloBFN

When I talked to the tech from PCM he made no mention of the 425HP 454 being LH rotation. Yes I believe the Python was a LH motor as it ran a RH prop.

I was also told the 425HP 454 was a 4 bolt main. Hopefully someone here can help me with this bit of info.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by 85nautiquematt 85nautiquematt wrote:

I will read more carefully in the and do more research in the future as well.

While you're at it do some research on boat dr himself, you'll find out he's a great contributor to the site and liked by all
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

TRBenj and I have a lot of money tied up in our motors, this would have been added had the blanks been available.

Actually, I have the option to go roller when I rebuild since I have a LH motor. The original plan was to go 393 or 408 when I rebuilt, but Im not in a huge hurry to do so- Im happy with the power Im making now. I think the next project will be to build a 16' boat that will out run your 331 and Reid's Mustang

The Python is LH as are all PCM motors that turn in front of the 1.23 tranny. I assume its easy to find roller cams for LH BBC's. If the HO 454 (425hp) was roller, thats one more piece of evidence that it was a LH motor as well- I dont think anyone has positively confirmed that here yet.

Originally posted by 85nautiquematt 85nautiquematt wrote:

I may have been mistaken, I thought I read on the site that Cam Research would make roller cams for RR motors.

Like Doc mentioned, that would be big news- but Im afraid its just not the case. They can source reverse rotation blanks, but only the flat tappets. If you happen to find a source for the RR roller blanks, just point me towards them- I wont tell the Doc. Unlike Hollywood, I think he's kind of an ass
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 8:04pm
85, Let it roll off...the Boat Dr is cool. He's just calling you out. And if you find an answer besides swapping the rotation, please share!    If you know the 'rats', some of us would love to hear more. This site is lighter on the info for the 454 as compared to the 351.

87, Woody at SECC told me the 425HP 454 was LH and seemed pretty sure of it

My 454 is the RH 330 and it is a 4 bolt main...got a good look when I replaced the pan recently.   
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 9:48pm
Tim, I may be an ass, but you will spend a lot of dollars building a boat/ motor combo that will run with either mine or Reids,that red one won't do it........boat dr
I will remember that remark if you need Hi-Teks for that dream motor....Ha Ha
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 10:04pm

Tim, I may be an ass, but you will spend a lot of dollars building a boat/ motor combo that will run with either mine or Reids,that red one won't do it........boat dr
I will remember that remark if you need Hi-Teks for that dream motor....Ha Ha

I already have a motor that would outrun you, Doc- its just in the wrong boat The '90 is a fine ski machine, but Ill be sure to start with a smaller/lighter/faster hull next time. I'll be sure to make it Ford powered, too- that way, I can swap my current Hi-Teks over if you wont sell me another pair!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 10:05pm
Boat Doc

After meeting you at GL in person and all our phone conversations it makes posts like the ones above even funnier to read...

TRBenj

If the 454 HO were LH rotation that would mean they were running LH props, correct or am I mixed up of this. Not that it is scienetific but any time I have delt with prop issues or parts as soon as I tell them it's a BFN with a 454 they know it's RH. This is with out having told them the year of the boat. I wish we could find some one with a 454 HO so we could get more info on it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

If the 454 HO were LH rotation that would mean they were running LH props, correct or am I mixed up of this. Not that it is scienetific but any time I have delt with prop issues or parts as soon as I tell them it's a BFN with a 454 they know it's RH. This is with out having told them the year of the boat. I wish we could find some one with a 454 HO so we could get more info on it.

Correct, LH rotation motor = LH prop.

I dont think there were very many HO 454's installed in Nautiques. From what Ive read, it wasnt a published option from CC. Not sure if any came out of the factory or if it was a dealer-installed item only. I remember Craig Warner (NECC) said he put at least 1 in.

Gottaski's been in a few boats (Ski Nautiques, I believe) that had the HO.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 10:37pm
Maybe he can help inlighten us??
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:11am
[/QUOTE]
The original plan was to go 393 or 408 when I rebuilt, but Im not in a huge hurry to do so- Im happy with the power Im making now. I think the next project will be to build a 16' boat that will out run your 331 and Reid's Mustang

Junior, I will sell my soul to the GL Sheriff's Dept before you outrun me.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:26am
Boat Dr..2nd place is still the 1st loser!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:37am
There were two winners there,the hole shot king and the top end speedster...
Reid had me on top end by a couple of MPH.
Noone there had the hole shot I did,
Not TRBenj with his high dollar motor and cute exhaust
Not Joe with that 408 stroker
Not Chris with his built up 351
And the green boat was not in the hunt
You were in the race ,but as a spectator only, Reid needed the your extra weight in the rear for that speed hop..........
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:39am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Boat Dr..2nd place is still the 1st loser!

Cold...hearted. So what does that make 4th place? Loser extraordinaire?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:43am
boat dr...If I remember correctly we never had the chance to race, if I would not have messed with my prop, I would have smoked you just like I did "79", well I guess we will have to wait for next year, you guys cant do much more to your boats to make them go much faster, but I can (cam and heads)...see you next year!!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:15am
geez are we talking sh*t already, can't we all just get along (well till about a month before the next time anyway)... besides I thought I did ok just having my 2hour old motor running...

alright really thats all nonsense I didnt like my 408 being slow at GL at all so I added a marine demon carb, a prop, and since I had a forged crank, rod, and pistons in the stroker I put in a blue bottle as well some people call it cheating.. me I call it insurance...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:43am
Joe...what HP "NOS" are you going to run??
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 11:28am
Run it!?! who said anything about running it I just like the looks of it.

I installed an edelbrock kit with 50-100-150 jets that I happened to find in the attic, a holdover from my misspent youth. Can't really run it till I figure out some ignition issues, and grow some larger testicles.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:02pm
Yes, I can confirm,
I spent many hours is 3 different 2001 with the 454HO, both skiing and wrenching. No BFNs just 2001 with the higher pylon from the BFN, they were all double-secret special orders and they wouldn't put that combination for anyone, one had to be an enthusiast with a good history with the sport or company.

These were 53-56 mph boats and all left hand rotation, clockwise looking at the crank pully and 72C trannies.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:27pm
Now thats a truely collectable 80's boat the only 2001 model I would pay a premium for, and not modify.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:37pm
Gotta, did PCM put that motor on paper? Tell us more about how it rode/drove please.
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:39pm
Of course I'll let it roll. Some of you are running some good HP, do you have a full length baffle at the crankshaft so in the upper R's your not pulling oil "rope effect" into the crank and slowing it down. There's some free power right there. My background is mainly with Pontiac engines and I don't know the secrets to enhancing Ford power. It can be similar in theory though. It's cool you guys head up the Green Lake - I'll see you there next year - I'm 45 minutes away and just bought a 85 Nautique 4 weeks ago. Had a 84 Nautique growing up on Okachee Lake for 15 years Have you guys run your boats against a Malibu Response yet ? Can they beat a Response in a drag?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:52pm
85,will look forward to another CC at the reunion, we need more classics...
The game with a boat motor is a little different than a race car.We are trying to build torque, this is what turns the prop.As speed increases it becomes harder and harder to push it thru the water,kinda like "tractor pulling"
Props start to lose the ability to "bite" after 5000 rpm's so I try to keep the engine speed down and the torque hi.
Ported and polished heads do very little to help on the twisting effort,windage trays and roller rockers/cams also add very little when compared to the cost VS speed........boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:19pm

Not TRBenj with his high dollar motor and cute exhaust

Did we line up at GL? I dont remember you beating me. I remember beating Reid, '79 and MM out of the hole, but you were nowhere to be found! You may have had me, but I wont concede until you prove it!

Reid, my next project will be a 60MPH 16' boat. That wont happen for a while yet, but its next up on the list, right after I get the Tique floating. Notice I said it would outrun your (baby blue) Mustang, which last time I checked did 56-57. Im afraid of what you might cook up next and I want no part of it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:35pm
These pissing matches are entertaining.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic