Print Page | Close Window

Hi Teks ,,Worth the Hype or Waste ?

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8117
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 3:52am

Topic: Hi Teks ,,Worth the Hype or Waste ?
Posted By: the goose
Subject: Hi Teks ,,Worth the Hype or Waste ?
Date Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:30am
Recently came across some money that can be used on the boat, thinking of getting the HI Tek manifold /riser often spoken of by the " Boat Dr".

I have also seen some negativity towards them here on this board.Saying that they are simply not worth the money

My question is simple,,,, If you had the money would you get them ? ,, and if you already have them did they really make that much of a difference for the buck.

I want to " steer" my boat away from stock and spruce up the motor the hi teks seems like a good place to start

Looking forward to your comments

Regards

The Goose

Replies:
Posted By: stang72
Date Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:57am
Goose...I can't comment on the performance , however , they look bad to the bone! The looks alone almost justify the price...if the performance is a plus...yeah...go for it!

-------------
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/3720/photo1.jpg" rel="nofollow - The Super Air

Posted By: stang72
Date Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:59am
Oh yeah..one more thing! They are quite nicely polished...so you won't have to spend time keeping them shiny....that time saved can be well spent somewhere else

-------------
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/3720/photo1.jpg" rel="nofollow - The Super Air

Posted By: MaddMarxx
Date Posted: August-25-2007 at 5:25am
The 1500 dollar question! If I had a stock motor and 1500 bucks to spend, I would get a set of heads an intake a cam and a new prop and I would still have 500 bucks left to take my gurl out to dinner with...but thats just me.

Good luck with the, Hi-price-teks!

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: August-25-2007 at 10:28am
MM....dinner and then the hilton hotel and maybe she would even invite a friend,
The hi-teks are like the icing on a cake, you take care of everything else performance wise and mechanically, then you top it off with the hi-teks, dollar for dollar on the performance end you go after engine up grades and if you have money left over you install some hi-teks, you dont want to install these on a tired engine

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: the goose
Date Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:23pm
Thanks Maxx and Eric,

I am not sure if my engine is quite tired "yet". The compression is great on it still and it runs strong,,

I am interested in the heads,,, those would be the gt40 "p" version people are taking about?

Cam sounds good as well however my access to a mechanic with marine experience is proving difficult to find, could I use someone whom specializes in automotive rebuild ? Thats why the hi techs were a big consideration for me as they were/are considerably easier install.

BTW the prop has already been upgraded by the boys at acme, great fellows there.

Thoughts

Thanks in Advance

The Goose

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:46pm
goose,I was the one that put the Hi-Tek deal together,my reasoning was more for the weight than the HP,12 lbs. VS 44 lbs.That was in itself cost effective, how much did it add to my 331 ,don't know!!!!!
MM has a good point ,do the cam,heads and intake first.Then finish the job with an exhaust system.
Do a search on Hi-Tek and you will find pics and info to help you make a sound choice.
87BFN gained 400 rpms with a set plus a ignition upgrade.Intake,heads,and a good cam may not give you that.
I have no regrets, and would do it again, the painted ones are cheaper. Polished was the way I wanted to go,my stroker deserves the very best,
Ask anyone that was at Green Lake how the old girl was running , and I had carb issues that was just recently sorted out.She will pull a 12x14 OJ 5100 rpms........
Idle to 40 in 6 seconds
Idle to 50 in 8 seconds
Too fast for an old boat that was only ment to go 40.................boat dr     

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: August-26-2007 at 5:18am
Goose,

My BFN had 1380hrs on it when I put the hi-teks on it. They definitely woke my 454 up some. I have plans of doing the whole motor in the future but the for right now the hi-teks were thew better route due to the price the boat doc got us. If I were you I would put the money in cam, heads, and intake. Then do the exhaust later when you have some extra money to spend on the boat after those upgrades.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: August-26-2007 at 12:11pm
BD you get that trans in yet?

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: August-26-2007 at 1:07pm
'87...got a pic of those teks?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: August-26-2007 at 1:41pm
do a search on hi-teks , there are some good pics on them

-------------

Date Posted: August-26-2007 at 2:01pm
I wanted to see 'em on his 454...I've seen the Boat Dr's and the custom install TRB did...very nice

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Date Posted: August-26-2007 at 7:00pm
BuffaloBFN,

I will get some up tonight or tomorrow night for sure. I have some other pics that need to be posted as well...

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Posted By: 69 Mustang
Date Posted: August-27-2007 at 1:11am
Boat Dr.

I'm doing 0-40 in about 8.5 seconds (stopwatch and GPS) in a 78 SkiTique with a full tank and 2 people. Original 302 (800 hrs) and a new OJ 12x13, only other mod is electronic ignition. Not bad, I guess?

Mike

-------------
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937

Date Posted: August-27-2007 at 1:15am
Speed can be costly,worst drug known to man.Just say NO....boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-27-2007 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by the goose the goose wrote:

My question is simple,,,, If you had the money would you get them ? ,, and if you already have them did they really make that much of a difference for the buck.

Like others have said, money is much better spent on heads and a cam. You can do those for less than the cost of the Hi-Teks, and they will make a bigger difference. I added the Hi-Teks last, as they were the only remaining piece of the puzzle to let my engine breathe.

Since you already have a GT40, Im not sure if there are any intake upgrades you can do. The GT40 heads arent too bad either (the P's wouldnt give enough of an advantage to justify swapping them out). I would consider getting a cam and installing roller rockers first.

Do the Hi-Teks really make that much of a difference? With the exhaust and roller rockers (which I did at the same time), I gained ~400 RPM in holeshot and ~300 RPM at WOT. Do they really make that much of a difference for the buck? Only you can answer that.

-------------

Date Posted: August-27-2007 at 1:51pm
Goose , have to agree with Tim on all the above ,except the roller rockers.Do not see the need nor the power increase to justify said expenditure.
Maybe because he has them and I don't,there goes that male penis envy thing again...
The only person that was in on the group purchase that has not commented is Reid.
And I will speak for him;
His feedback was not a positive as the other three, he says he lost a little power and some of his upper rpm's.Not being negative towards the product , just did not work well with the package he is running.
Reid will you bring us up to speed on your Mustang project and how they have performed likes or dislikes..........boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-27-2007 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Goose , have to agree with Tim on all the above ,except the roller rockers.Do not see the need nor the power increase to justify said expenditure.

I dont think I would buy them new, Doc- $300 is a steep price for 15hp. A good set (FMS/Crane, Scorpion) can be found used for $125-150, in which case I think theyre worth it (obviously). Id also like a set of aluminum underdrive pulleys, but Im having a hard time justifying the $200+ pricetag on those as well.

I only recommend the RR's for Goose because he's already got a 310hp MPEFI motor. The heads and intake are already pretty decent. A cam and the RR's would have him pushing 340-350hp. Of course, a prop would be at the top of my list, above any of the aforementioned upgrades.

-------------

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: August-27-2007 at 11:23pm
Ok, I'm here to comment but unfortunately like Doc said I'm still a little neutral. I was rushed to get them on, and installed them on the engine for the first start up of the year. The engine obviously was in need of a complete tune-up. A difference in my case from the others was I was replacing an already decent set of aluminum manifolds with 4" risers and ported runners (as far as I could reach). I also made no attempts at further tuning gearing directly towards a more free-flowing exhaust. While they are no longer/currently on the blue '69 Mustang I originally planned them for, I will be installing them back on that boat or another very soon. I will certainly report results from that.

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: August-27-2007 at 11:39pm
Still wondering if those hiteks would do anything for my rig as well. At this point the money doesnt mean a thing, unless they don't make any difference then the money hurts a lot. Somebody should just buy a set and rent them out to those that want to try before we buy..
-

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: August-28-2007 at 12:38am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Somebody should just buy a set and rent them out to those that want to try before we buy..
-

Excellent idea Joe. I think Billy has that extra set sitting at his shop. How about it Doc?

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: August-28-2007 at 1:14am
Joe , that is a good idea,Allen will be more than willing to sell you a set at full retail.If they do not work you can rent them out for week-ends,or maybe for summer vacations.
The possibilities are endless, the money as you said matters not.
Allen, wants this set shipped to Miami for the boat show in October.Sorry I can't help with your R&R Joe........boat dr

Just bite the bullet like we did Joe, after all it's only money.........

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-28-2007 at 7:29pm
BuffaloBFN

Here are a few shots of the hi-teks on m BFN. If you want better pics let me know as these were install pics and a couple quick shots from GL.

-------------

Posted By: 68sklylark
Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 12:26am
Boat Dr.

I spoke with Allen earlier this year regarding HiTeks for my Skylark. We blew out the original aluminim maniflods once we go it running this spring. I found some cast iron manifolds but the dump tubes are wrong on them so now we are back to needing new manifolds.

Will you please contact me with any information regarding arrangements you have with him.

Thank you,

Keith McIntyre
ksmcintyre@centurytel.net
586-531-5513

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 9:42am
87, thanks...and don't you wish they'd standardize the color stripe on the wet exhaust hose?

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 3:08pm
BuffaloBFN

That would be nice, as my supply hoses have a green stripe and the exhaust have a blue stripe. If you could get all the hoses you needed from one company they would have a better chance at it I bet.

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 3:31pm
decisions, decisions...waste good hose and have 'em match or be frugal?!!?   LOL

Your Teks look gooood! though maybe a little smaller on the BB...they'll be the last thing I do 'cause I have at least one cylinder that misses w/o the lead sub in the gas

gotta fix my foundation first!

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 3:39pm
I thought about the motor first, but I knew I wanted them and the price was right at the time. Now the way it runns with the upgrades I can hold off on redoing the motor for another year or so. This winters plans are new interior, new trailer, and redo the stripes and decals.

-------------

Posted By: 85nautiquematt
Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 4:49pm
A nice roller cam and full roller rockers would help free up some rotating friction and give a noticeable boost in power. There is a lot of drag at the lifter to camshaft area. It works well in street cars with noticeable results. Sounds like a good winter project.

-------------
Nothin like the sound of a mid 80's Nautique at mid throttle.

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by 85nautiquematt 85nautiquematt wrote:

A nice roller cam and full roller rockers would help free up some rotating friction and give a noticeable boost in power. There is a lot of drag at the lifter to camshaft area. It works well in street cars with noticeable results. Sounds like a good winter project.

Good luck finding roller cam blanks for reverse rotation motors. I know they dont exist for the SBF, not sure you'd have any more luck with a BBC.

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 5:36pm
Ok 85...I'm waiting for you to tell us you know where to get all the blanks we need...

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 6:45pm
I may have been mistaken, I thought I read on the site that Cam Research would make roller cams for RR motors. Maybe this could be done if there was a group purchase. Not many shops are going to perform a special set up for a one off cam. I know roller rockers can help free up some friction. A improved cam would be next but a roller would add some free HP.
I would go rockers, cam (roller preferably), ported heads, intake then exhaust.

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 6:58pm
85nautiquematt, you thought WRONG.As Tim posted earlier, there are no RR blanks to be had.
TRBenj and I have a lot of money tied up in our motors, this would have been added had the blanks been available. Scott at Cam Research cut my cam,and stated the flat tappets are getting scarce.
My 331 block started life as a roller motor,wish i could have kept the set up.............boat dr

By all means do your own search,if you can come up with a dozen i will buy 6 myself.Who else wants one, talk is cheap 85,cams ain't..

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 6:59pm
85nautiquematt

If I am going to pull the top part of the motor apart, I am going to do it right the first time and do the whole deal. Bore, stroke, new heads new cam. That is why the Hi-Teks were the right thing at the right time for me...

I agree with TRBenj blanks for a roller for the BBC RR will be very hard ti find if they can be found at all.

TRBenj

We could always find a new python laying around somewhere and drop it in, it's a roller motor.

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 7:13pm
Is the python LH? I'm guessing so...was told the 425HP 454 was LH. Looks like the cam is the reason.I did some reading(probably not enough), and I realize the rotational shape differences...but why is it? Is there just so little demand?

Pardon my ignorance

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 7:31pm
Hey there boat dr. I guess I was wrong about the RR roller cams. I will read more carefully in the and do more research in the future as well. But I will say if your going to come off in the tone you did, I won't provide any information for you if I find a RR roller blank cam.. lighten up okay. Forget the roller cam, there's other areas for power. I thought this was a cool site. Maybe not all on it are cool though ? RELAX

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 7:40pm
BuffaloBFN

When I talked to the tech from PCM he made no mention of the 425HP 454 being LH rotation. Yes I believe the Python was a LH motor as it ran a RH prop.

I was also told the 425HP 454 was a 4 bolt main. Hopefully someone here can help me with this bit of info.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 7:52pm

I will read more carefully in the and do more research in the future as well.

While you're at it do some research on boat dr himself, you'll find out he's a great contributor to the site and liked by all

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 8:03pm

TRBenj and I have a lot of money tied up in our motors, this would have been added had the blanks been available.

Actually, I have the option to go roller when I rebuild since I have a LH motor. The original plan was to go 393 or 408 when I rebuilt, but Im not in a huge hurry to do so- Im happy with the power Im making now. I think the next project will be to build a 16' boat that will out run your 331 and Reid's Mustang

The Python is LH as are all PCM motors that turn in front of the 1.23 tranny. I assume its easy to find roller cams for LH BBC's. If the HO 454 (425hp) was roller, thats one more piece of evidence that it was a LH motor as well- I dont think anyone has positively confirmed that here yet.

I may have been mistaken, I thought I read on the site that Cam Research would make roller cams for RR motors.

Like Doc mentioned, that would be big news- but Im afraid its just not the case. They can source reverse rotation blanks, but only the flat tappets. If you happen to find a source for the RR roller blanks, just point me towards them- I wont tell the Doc. Unlike Hollywood, I think he's kind of an ass

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 8:04pm
85, Let it roll off...the Boat Dr is cool. He's just calling you out. And if you find an answer besides swapping the rotation, please share!    If you know the 'rats', some of us would love to hear more. This site is lighter on the info for the 454 as compared to the 351.

87, Woody at SECC told me the 425HP 454 was LH and seemed pretty sure of it

My 454 is the RH 330 and it is a 4 bolt main...got a good look when I replaced the pan recently.   

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 9:48pm
Tim, I may be an ass, but you will spend a lot of dollars building a boat/ motor combo that will run with either mine or Reids,that red one won't do it........boat dr
I will remember that remark if you need Hi-Teks for that dream motor....Ha Ha

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 10:04pm

Tim, I may be an ass, but you will spend a lot of dollars building a boat/ motor combo that will run with either mine or Reids,that red one won't do it........boat dr
I will remember that remark if you need Hi-Teks for that dream motor....Ha Ha

I already have a motor that would outrun you, Doc- its just in the wrong boat The '90 is a fine ski machine, but Ill be sure to start with a smaller/lighter/faster hull next time. I'll be sure to make it Ford powered, too- that way, I can swap my current Hi-Teks over if you wont sell me another pair!

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 10:05pm
Boat Doc

After meeting you at GL in person and all our phone conversations it makes posts like the ones above even funnier to read...

TRBenj

If the 454 HO were LH rotation that would mean they were running LH props, correct or am I mixed up of this. Not that it is scienetific but any time I have delt with prop issues or parts as soon as I tell them it's a BFN with a 454 they know it's RH. This is with out having told them the year of the boat. I wish we could find some one with a 454 HO so we could get more info on it.

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

If the 454 HO were LH rotation that would mean they were running LH props, correct or am I mixed up of this. Not that it is scienetific but any time I have delt with prop issues or parts as soon as I tell them it's a BFN with a 454 they know it's RH. This is with out having told them the year of the boat. I wish we could find some one with a 454 HO so we could get more info on it.

Correct, LH rotation motor = LH prop.

I dont think there were very many HO 454's installed in Nautiques. From what Ive read, it wasnt a published option from CC. Not sure if any came out of the factory or if it was a dealer-installed item only. I remember Craig Warner (NECC) said he put at least 1 in.

Gottaski's been in a few boats (Ski Nautiques, I believe) that had the HO.

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2007 at 10:37pm
Maybe he can help inlighten us??

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:11am
[/QUOTE]
The original plan was to go 393 or 408 when I rebuilt, but Im not in a huge hurry to do so- Im happy with the power Im making now. I think the next project will be to build a 16' boat that will out run your 331 and Reid's Mustang

Junior, I will sell my soul to the GL Sheriff's Dept before you outrun me.

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:26am
Boat Dr..2nd place is still the 1st loser!

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:37am
There were two winners there,the hole shot king and the top end speedster...
Reid had me on top end by a couple of MPH.
Noone there had the hole shot I did,
Not TRBenj with his high dollar motor and cute exhaust
Not Joe with that 408 stroker
Not Chris with his built up 351
And the green boat was not in the hunt
You were in the race ,but as a spectator only, Reid needed the your extra weight in the rear for that speed hop..........

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:39am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Boat Dr..2nd place is still the 1st loser!

Cold...hearted. So what does that make 4th place? Loser extraordinaire?

-------------
ReidP

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:43am
boat dr...If I remember correctly we never had the chance to race, if I would not have messed with my prop, I would have smoked you just like I did "79", well I guess we will have to wait for next year, you guys cant do much more to your boats to make them go much faster, but I can (cam and heads)...see you next year!!

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:15am
geez are we talking sh*t already, can't we all just get along (well till about a month before the next time anyway)... besides I thought I did ok just having my 2hour old motor running...

alright really thats all nonsense I didnt like my 408 being slow at GL at all so I added a marine demon carb, a prop, and since I had a forged crank, rod, and pistons in the stroker I put in a blue bottle as well some people call it cheating.. me I call it insurance...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:43am
Joe...what HP "NOS" are you going to run??

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 11:28am
Run it!?! who said anything about running it I just like the looks of it.

I installed an edelbrock kit with 50-100-150 jets that I happened to find in the attic, a holdover from my misspent youth. Can't really run it till I figure out some ignition issues, and grow some larger testicles.

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:02pm
Yes, I can confirm,
I spent many hours is 3 different 2001 with the 454HO, both skiing and wrenching. No BFNs just 2001 with the higher pylon from the BFN, they were all double-secret special orders and they wouldn't put that combination for anyone, one had to be an enthusiast with a good history with the sport or company.

These were 53-56 mph boats and all left hand rotation, clockwise looking at the crank pully and 72C trannies.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:27pm
Now thats a truely collectable 80's boat the only 2001 model I would pay a premium for, and not modify.

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:37pm
Gotta, did PCM put that motor on paper? Tell us more about how it rode/drove please.
Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:39pm
Of course I'll let it roll. Some of you are running some good HP, do you have a full length baffle at the crankshaft so in the upper R's your not pulling oil "rope effect" into the crank and slowing it down. There's some free power right there. My background is mainly with Pontiac engines and I don't know the secrets to enhancing Ford power. It can be similar in theory though. It's cool you guys head up the Green Lake - I'll see you there next year - I'm 45 minutes away and just bought a 85 Nautique 4 weeks ago. Had a 84 Nautique growing up on Okachee Lake for 15 years Have you guys run your boats against a Malibu Response yet ? Can they beat a Response in a drag?

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 1:52pm
85,will look forward to another CC at the reunion, we need more classics...
The game with a boat motor is a little different than a race car.We are trying to build torque, this is what turns the prop.As speed increases it becomes harder and harder to push it thru the water,kinda like "tractor pulling"
Props start to lose the ability to "bite" after 5000 rpm's so I try to keep the engine speed down and the torque hi.
Ported and polished heads do very little to help on the twisting effort,windage trays and roller rockers/cams also add very little when compared to the cost VS speed........boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:19pm

Not TRBenj with his high dollar motor and cute exhaust

Did we line up at GL? I dont remember you beating me. I remember beating Reid, '79 and MM out of the hole, but you were nowhere to be found! You may have had me, but I wont concede until you prove it!

Reid, my next project will be a 60MPH 16' boat. That wont happen for a while yet, but its next up on the list, right after I get the Tique floating. Notice I said it would outrun your (baby blue) Mustang, which last time I checked did 56-57. Im afraid of what you might cook up next and I want no part of it.

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:35pm
These pissing matches are entertaining.

-------------

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

These pissing matches are entertaining.

Kinda reminds me of the Pinto Races. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:55pm
entertaining is an understatement.
lefty

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:57pm
don't be knocking pintos. my first car was a 77 pinto station wagon.

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:58pm

Of course I'll let it roll. Some of you are running some good HP, do you have a full length baffle at the crankshaft so in the upper R's your not pulling oil "rope effect" into the crank and slowing it down. There's some free power right there. My background is mainly with Pontiac engines and I don't know the secrets to enhancing Ford power. It can be similar in theory though. It's cool you guys head up the Green Lake - I'll see you there next year - I'm 45 minutes away and just bought a 85 Nautique 4 weeks ago. Had a 84 Nautique growing up on Okachee Lake for 15 years Have you guys run your boats against a Malibu Response yet ? Can they beat a Response in a drag?
Can they beat a Response in a drag?

Maybe a Response, but I doubt a Sportster.

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 3:04pm
Steadie Eddie's Python BFN will golden shower all of you.

-------------

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 3:07pm
No knock on Pintos.

Racing Pintos - Racing Competition Ski boats.

Racing is racing. Knock yourself out and have fun with it. But at the end of the day, a Pinto is a Pinto and a Ski Boat is a Ski boat.

Don't take yourself too seriously BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 3:52pm
Building ski boats is kind like back in the day when guys would spend big bucks stroking their Harleys so the could keep up with 650 Kawasakis.

But it's still fun. Ski boats are like old muscle cars.

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 4:18pm
At the next reunion in Green Lake, I'll bring a Malibu Response out there for you guys to pick on. I'll have my brother drive it- we went in halves on the thing. I'd like to see how the Malibu holds up to those built Correct Crafts. My 85 Nautique is stock so it won't hold a candle. Besides and with my wife and three little squirts in the boat it's gotta run smooth. I'm very impressed with the Response -it's just not a classic.

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 4:42pm
85,there are a lot of boats that are faster, bigger, smoother, but if you bring the Malibu,you ain't got a dog in the hunt.
If you want to play our game , you have to play by our rules.This evens out the playing field somewhat, CC's only!!!!!!
Put the wife and kids in that Malibu,and bring it on. We need some new meat on the table.
That gives me time to find that extra top end I am looking for,Reid I am ,I can ,I will...........boat dr
TRBenj,hope to see you there too....

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:01pm
boat dr, take note- I just bought the Correct Craft after a few years away from them. The Malibu is great but just didn't cut it. Besides my bro and I sharing a boat was getting difficult with me having kids. I think you know where my loyalty is at. My kids, wife and me have been out in the Nautique three times in four weeks. Also. note I said my brother would be driving.. I drive CORRECT CRAFTS. Either way - it will be fun to see.

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:29pm
They were not monsters out of the hole, with some more grunt than a 351 but not rediculously so. Without a skier load a well tuned 351 could beat it to 30 mph by a little, but not with three deep barefooters.
The std 330 hp 454 would shine in thos conditions, till you needed 40+ mph.

Mash it at 40 mph (where a 351 or std 454 wheeze) and you would feel it hard in your back and 50 came real fast as the revs solidly go past 5K on the way to 54-5500.

Thee or four abreast footers could maintain 43 mph and still have some throttle left in reserve.

They were cammed for mid-top with very large rectangular ports and big valves (canted of course).

They could sing at 5K for 20 minutes straight for a long barefoot run, and do that for decades. One has 1500 hours and is still tight. One was further built and had straight 4" pipes, others were mufflered. 850cms DP, never saw the bottom end can't comment on the hardware but I'm sure its stout stuff.

The boats behaved at those speed when the conditions were good, but not when the water was irregular

However, a Sanger DX11 with a 330hp smallblock merc is really hard to beat as far as speed/hp and excellent wakes.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:41pm
GottaSki, Thank you sir...does anyone know if it was documented? repair manual?
Thanks again

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:06pm
Gottaski wrote
They were not monsters out of the hole, with some more grunt than a 351 but not rediculously so. Without a skier load a well tuned 351 could beat it to 30 mph by a little, but not with three deep barefooters.
The std 330 hp 454 would shine in thos conditions, till you needed 40+ mph.

Mash it at 40 mph (where a 351 or std and you would feel it hard in your back and 50 came real fast as the revs solidly go past 5K on the way to 54-5500.

Thee or four abreast footers could maintain 43 mph and still have some throttle left in reserve.

They were cammed for mid-top with very large rectangular ports and big valves (canted of course).

They could sing at 5K for 20 minutes straight for a long barefoot run, and do that for decades. One has 1500 hours and is still tight. One was further built and had straight 4" pipes, others were mufflered. 850cms DP, never saw the bottom end can't comment on the hardware but I'm sure its stout stuff.

The boats behaved at those speed when the conditions were good, but not when the water was irregular.

In the quote above which motor and which boat were you talking about here?

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:24pm
Hollywood,
Did I miss a post somehwere who has a python in a BFN?

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:47pm
BFN pylon I think...

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:53pm
"454HP" LH 425hp Pleasurecraft available in a BFN or undocumanted in 2001s. saw one in a powerslot once also.

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:05pm
Hollwood wrote

This is what I was asking about...

GottaSki

Do you know the reason that the 454 HO were LH rotation.. The 72c trans you spoke of do you have any info on it, was there anything special about it, or did it just allow the use a LH rotation motor. Do you know if these trans can still be baught?? Sorry about so many questions, but it seems you are the only one with first hand experience with this set up.

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:17pm
72C are longer and even sturdier, 5" output flange., 2-disk reverse and 7-disk forward. Eric may correct the specifics.

I think GM and Pleasurecraft pulled a henry ford and said to CC you can have any rotation you want as long as its LH, because I think its so low volume and GM didn't want to entertain changing a developed and tested assembly, becuase if they fragged, GM would eventualy have to eat the cost, ; as long they were used with the spec'd operating range.

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:38pm
So if someone were to come up with a 72C trans then you could put an automotive build motor in and add the required marine parts as need then, or am I wrong on that... You also mentioned the trans was longer, so this would change the length of the prop shaft would it not?

Eric,

Now for your turn is it possible to find one of these trans, or to make this trans?

-------------

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:47pm
[QUOTE=87BFN owner] Hollwood wrote

This is what I was asking about...
QUOTE]

Jim you have to look at the post about the mini reunion in NC at Reid's place. Barefoot Eddie sounds like a neighbor of Reid's that has a Python installed in a BFN.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 8:23pm
Thanks backfoot I have not looked at that post in awhile...

-------------

Posted By: Luchog
Date Posted: August-31-2007 at 10:15pm
87BFN: the 72C Borgwarner tranny for torquier engines as Big blocks and big diesel engines.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2095" rel="nofollow - 1980 Ski Nautique

Commander 351W

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 12:16am
Luchog

Thank you for that wonderful piece of info.. Sounds like this trans can still be found than.

The 10-18 is just under an inch longer then the 10-17 which I have.

-------------

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 12:52pm
72 has 3 reverses, you guys couldnt build an engine to blow up one of my modified 71's, had to rattle some chains....
I can squeeze 7 and 6 plates into a 71, and the 72 and even 73 series are out there for the larger props and more torque. the BB use's them for extra insurance depending on application, i see alot of 71"s behind big blocks. the TRS set up uses the same number of plates as the 71 which is 5 frictions and 4 steels. the 72 does use larger planets and a larger input shaft and drum,and the bearing in the rear is a larger max bearing. the plate number is not the only difference

-------------

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 12:57pm
those graphs are generalizations, they dont factor alot of things in such as prop size, plate material, boat size, the biggest thing to worry about is prop size, if your spinning a 20" prop and slam it into reverse something is going to break, with the smaller prop sizes on a ski boat it is not as big of a concern

-------------

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:01pm
anymore if your curious about rotations, ZF and BW make whats called a full power forward and full power reverse, if im being redundent let me know, all the newer boats are using these transmissions you can use normal rotation engines and spin the trans either way for forward with out damage to the trans
the zf 450 and 630 are some of the models, also bord warner makes the 5000 series which also can spin either direction. these trannies are available in straight and down angle and come with a offset

-------------

Date Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:40pm
Eric, if I read that right...what I would call the regular BW's(10-17 & 10-18) can't be turned around?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window