Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi Teks ,,Worth the Hype or Waste ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
the goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi Teks ,,Worth the Hype or Waste ?
    Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:30am
Recently came across some money that can be used on the boat, thinking of getting the HI Tek manifold /riser often spoken of by the " Boat Dr".

I have also seen some negativity towards them here on this board.Saying that they are simply not worth the money

My question is simple,,,, If you had the money would you get them ? ,, and if you already have them did they really make that much of a difference for the buck.

I want to " steer" my boat away from stock and spruce up the motor the hi teks seems like a good place to start

Looking forward to your comments

Regards

The Goose
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:57am
Goose...I can't comment on the performance , however , they look bad to the bone! The looks alone almost justify the price...if the performance is a plus...yeah...go for it!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:59am
Oh yeah..one more thing! They are quite nicely polished...so you won't have to spend time keeping them shiny....that time saved can be well spent somewhere else
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 5:25am
The 1500 dollar question! If I had a stock motor and 1500 bucks to spend, I would get a set of heads an intake a cam and a new prop and I would still have 500 bucks left to take my gurl out to dinner with...but thats just me.

Good luck with the, Hi-price-teks!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 10:28am
MM....dinner and then the hilton hotel and maybe she would even invite a friend,
The hi-teks are like the icing on a cake, you take care of everything else performance wise and mechanically, then you top it off with the hi-teks, dollar for dollar on the performance end you go after engine up grades and if you have money left over you install some hi-teks, you dont want to install these on a tired engine
"the things you own will start to own you"
the goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:23pm
Thanks Maxx and Eric,

I am not sure if my engine is quite tired "yet". The compression is great on it still and it runs strong,,

I am interested in the heads,,, those would be the gt40 "p" version people are taking about?

Cam sounds good as well however my access to a mechanic with marine experience is proving difficult to find, could I use someone whom specializes in automotive rebuild ? Thats why the hi techs were a big consideration for me as they were/are considerably easier install.

BTW the prop has already been upgraded by the boys at acme, great fellows there.

Thoughts

Thanks in Advance

The Goose
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 4:46pm
goose,I was the one that put the Hi-Tek deal together,my reasoning was more for the weight than the HP,12 lbs. VS 44 lbs.That was in itself cost effective, how much did it add to my 331 ,don't know!!!!!
MM has a good point ,do the cam,heads and intake first.Then finish the job with an exhaust system.
Do a search on Hi-Tek and you will find pics and info to help you make a sound choice.
87BFN gained 400 rpms with a set plus a ignition upgrade.Intake,heads,and a good cam may not give you that.
I have no regrets, and would do it again, the painted ones are cheaper. Polished was the way I wanted to go,my stroker deserves the very best,
Ask anyone that was at Green Lake how the old girl was running , and I had carb issues that was just recently sorted out.She will pull a 12x14 OJ 5100 rpms........
Idle to 40 in 6 seconds
Idle to 50 in 8 seconds
Too fast for an old boat that was only ment to go 40.................boat dr     
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 5:18am
Goose,

My BFN had 1380hrs on it when I put the hi-teks on it. They definitely woke my 454 up some. I have plans of doing the whole motor in the future but the for right now the hi-teks were thew better route due to the price the boat doc got us. If I were you I would put the money in cam, heads, and intake. Then do the exhaust later when you have some extra money to spend on the boat after those upgrades.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 12:11pm
BD you get that trans in yet?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 1:07pm
'87...got a pic of those teks?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 1:41pm
do a search on hi-teks , there are some good pics on them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 2:01pm
I wanted to see 'em on his 454...I've seen the Boat Dr's and the custom install TRB did...very nice
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 7:00pm
BuffaloBFN,

I will get some up tonight or tomorrow night for sure. I have some other pics that need to be posted as well...
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 1:11am
Boat Dr.

I'm doing 0-40 in about 8.5 seconds (stopwatch and GPS) in a 78 SkiTique with a full tank and 2 people. Original 302 (800 hrs) and a new OJ 12x13, only other mod is electronic ignition. Not bad, I guess?

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 1:15am
Speed can be costly,worst drug known to man.Just say NO....boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by the goose the goose wrote:

My question is simple,,,, If you had the money would you get them ? ,, and if you already have them did they really make that much of a difference for the buck.

Like others have said, money is much better spent on heads and a cam. You can do those for less than the cost of the Hi-Teks, and they will make a bigger difference. I added the Hi-Teks last, as they were the only remaining piece of the puzzle to let my engine breathe.

Since you already have a GT40, Im not sure if there are any intake upgrades you can do. The GT40 heads arent too bad either (the P's wouldnt give enough of an advantage to justify swapping them out). I would consider getting a cam and installing roller rockers first.

Do the Hi-Teks really make that much of a difference? With the exhaust and roller rockers (which I did at the same time), I gained ~400 RPM in holeshot and ~300 RPM at WOT. Do they really make that much of a difference for the buck? Only you can answer that.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 1:51pm
Goose , have to agree with Tim on all the above ,except the roller rockers.Do not see the need nor the power increase to justify said expenditure.
Maybe because he has them and I don't,there goes that male penis envy thing again...
The only person that was in on the group purchase that has not commented is Reid.
And I will speak for him;
His feedback was not a positive as the other three, he says he lost a little power and some of his upper rpm's.Not being negative towards the product , just did not work well with the package he is running.
Reid will you bring us up to speed on your Mustang project and how they have performed likes or dislikes..........boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Goose , have to agree with Tim on all the above ,except the roller rockers.Do not see the need nor the power increase to justify said expenditure.

I dont think I would buy them new, Doc- $300 is a steep price for 15hp. A good set (FMS/Crane, Scorpion) can be found used for $125-150, in which case I think theyre worth it (obviously). Id also like a set of aluminum underdrive pulleys, but Im having a hard time justifying the $200+ pricetag on those as well.

I only recommend the RR's for Goose because he's already got a 310hp MPEFI motor. The heads and intake are already pretty decent. A cam and the RR's would have him pushing 340-350hp. Of course, a prop would be at the top of my list, above any of the aforementioned upgrades.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 11:23pm
Ok, I'm here to comment but unfortunately like Doc said I'm still a little neutral. I was rushed to get them on, and installed them on the engine for the first start up of the year. The engine obviously was in need of a complete tune-up. A difference in my case from the others was I was replacing an already decent set of aluminum manifolds with 4" risers and ported runners (as far as I could reach). I also made no attempts at further tuning gearing directly towards a more free-flowing exhaust. While they are no longer/currently on the blue '69 Mustang I originally planned them for, I will be installing them back on that boat or another very soon. I will certainly report results from that.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 11:39pm
Still wondering if those hiteks would do anything for my rig as well. At this point the money doesnt mean a thing, unless they don't make any difference then the money hurts a lot. Somebody should just buy a set and rent them out to those that want to try before we buy..
-
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 12:38am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Somebody should just buy a set and rent them out to those that want to try before we buy..
-

Excellent idea Joe. I think Billy has that extra set sitting at his shop. How about it Doc?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 1:14am
Joe , that is a good idea,Allen will be more than willing to sell you a set at full retail.If they do not work you can rent them out for week-ends,or maybe for summer vacations.
The possibilities are endless, the money as you said matters not.
Allen, wants this set shipped to Miami for the boat show in October.Sorry I can't help with your R&R Joe........boat dr

Just bite the bullet like we did Joe, after all it's only money.........
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 7:29pm
BuffaloBFN

Here are a few shots of the hi-teks on m BFN. If you want better pics let me know as these were install pics and a couple quick shots from GL.

68sklylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68sklylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 12:26am
Boat Dr.

I spoke with Allen earlier this year regarding HiTeks for my Skylark. We blew out the original aluminim maniflods once we go it running this spring. I found some cast iron manifolds but the dump tubes are wrong on them so now we are back to needing new manifolds.

Will you please contact me with any information regarding arrangements you have with him.

Thank you,

Keith McIntyre
ksmcintyre@centurytel.net
586-531-5513
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 9:42am
87, thanks...and don't you wish they'd standardize the color stripe on the wet exhaust hose?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 3:08pm
BuffaloBFN

That would be nice, as my supply hoses have a green stripe and the exhaust have a blue stripe. If you could get all the hoses you needed from one company they would have a better chance at it I bet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 3:31pm
decisions, decisions...waste good hose and have 'em match or be frugal?!!?   LOL

Your Teks look gooood! though maybe a little smaller on the BB...they'll be the last thing I do 'cause I have at least one cylinder that misses w/o the lead sub in the gas

gotta fix my foundation first!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 3:39pm
I thought about the motor first, but I knew I wanted them and the price was right at the time. Now the way it runns with the upgrades I can hold off on redoing the motor for another year or so. This winters plans are new interior, new trailer, and redo the stripes and decals.
85nautiquematt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 4:49pm
A nice roller cam and full roller rockers would help free up some rotating friction and give a noticeable boost in power. There is a lot of drag at the lifter to camshaft area. It works well in street cars with noticeable results. Sounds like a good winter project.
Nothin like the sound of a mid 80's Nautique at mid throttle.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by 85nautiquematt 85nautiquematt wrote:

A nice roller cam and full roller rockers would help free up some rotating friction and give a noticeable boost in power. There is a lot of drag at the lifter to camshaft area. It works well in street cars with noticeable results. Sounds like a good winter project.

Good luck finding roller cam blanks for reverse rotation motors. I know they dont exist for the SBF, not sure you'd have any more luck with a BBC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic