NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1958 wood starflite for sale

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1958 wood starflite for sale
    Posted: July-31-2007 at 9:38pm
I just recently looked at a nice 1958 Correct Craft Starflite (with 57 chevy wings) on original CC trailer that is for sale,
I did not have my camera to snap a photo but I have the dealer info, the boat is on consignment at.
Lake Wylie Boat and Yacht sales/ HQ marine
704- 588-8828
ask for Tony Quinn or Debbie
Boat looks really nice !!
Good luck !!

Mike
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 9:45pm
Cool!! Mike do you know if Wylie has a web site with pictures? Stupid me! I'll just do a search.

Edit: I found it but the Starflite isn't listed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 9:55pm
It was just brought in.
Give them a call to see if they can email you pictures and put on this thread.
Thanks, Mike
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 9:34pm
Boat Dr.
It was nice talking with you toady. I did not get a chance to run back over to the Starflite with my camera after work.
I will do it at lunch tommorrow and email the pics to you!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 10:25pm
Mike, Don't forget me!! Talk to the Doc.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 10:58pm
Here you go guys, here are pictures of the 1958 Correct Craft Starflite for sale.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 10:54am
Wow!! I can smell it from 500 miles away. There is something about old wood boats that develop a very unique odor from the wood, old oil, vinyl, rubber and even a little mildew mixed in. It is very apparent when you first take a canvas off and stick your head in. I have heard from many a old wood boater that it is a pleasing smell. I get into it!

This is a very original boat and don't think it has seen very much use. I even feel that the varnish has never been touched. It is also a planked boat and not a plywood. This I think is the last year that CC built a planked before going to all plywood like the other wood hulls and then of coarse to the glass. The Gray flat head is a proven work horse of a engine that will unlike some of the early V8's put out many hours of service. There is lots of iron in them and re buildable to .080 over before sleaving and starting over.

There is one problem and that is the bottom has been fiberglassed. This was a very popular method early on to stop a wood bottom from leaking. It was easy to put on and lots of boats were done until it was discovered that bottoms were failing due to rot. It is not a major problem but will require major work at some time. The engine and gas tank pulled, the hull flipped and the bottom ripped off. New bottoms on a wood boat are very common and done all the time and with newer materials and methods (3M 5200) will last. The common double bottom of your Chris Craft boat was only designed for 10 to 15 years of service before the outer planking needed to be removed, the layer of canvas and bedding compound under it replaced and then the outer planking refastened. With the exception of the plank on batten type hull (Century) anyone who states that all the boat needs is to be soaked is mistaken. Anyone who may be thinking about purchasing this boat should use the glassed bottom as a price deduction.

JD, Where are you? How about putting in your comments! (I'm calling for help from another CC wood expert)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 1:39pm
I think they told me that it was a one owner boat, local to the Charlotte area , a doctor I believe.
Pete, is right it may need some work but what an awesome classic that is very Original. This is indeed a plank boat not plywood all boards look tight with no gaps.
Pete, I need to send some pics of a Wooden Correct Craft I picked up that needs a total rebuild, It looks alot like yours but it is about 17' 1/2'' feet with a Gray Marine 6 Cyl in it
I think it it is either a 1957 or 1958 model the engine date is 1957.

Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 1:53pm
Mike, It's probably the Aqua Skier if it is 17' 6". The Rocket Skier was 16' and the Atom 14' 6". All 3 were plywoods but the deluxe versions had the bottoms planked over the plywood and bigger engines.

Mike, go back in to your Starflite picture post and space (enter) between the pictures so they are top to bottom rather than side to side. No big deal, it just makes the thread easier to read!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 2:00am
Pete, the one I have does have the planked bottom with a
gray marine 136 inline 6cyl engine.
I will get some pics to you and would love to get your help when I start the restoration.

Thanks, Mike
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 12:08am
I hope that these pictures have drawn some interest to this nice classic !!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 1:02am
Did any one every call about this boat ??
Would love for someone from CCF to get it !!

Mike
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 1:41am
Mike, I have made the GOOD DOCTOR an offer, he seems to think the boat is worth more than the offer. But has agreed that I get first shot..........
Thanks for the pics and your time.Have talked to Lew Quinn several times,and he assured me the boat is sound, but the DR. don't need the money nor the boat,details to follow as i hear them..........boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 4:48pm
Sounds good Doc. Keep in touch and let me know what happens!!

Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic