NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454 rebuild
    Posted: July-29-2007 at 1:33pm
My 454 just rolled 1600 hrs and I suspect it's closer to 2000. This winter is the time for it. Has anyone here learned the tricks, and/or what to do or not to do on the 454 for our application?

I'm asking cause my bookstores are full of info on SB chevys...and the little they have on BB's is way high end for street.

Thanks in advance!
greg
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 2:16pm
After you look into the time and money, and expertise involved in a "complete rebuild" a reman may be your best bet.
A lot of the short block assy. do not require a core charge.This means you just do the "remove part A and install on new motor"
Remove part B install on motor"
And most come with an unlimited warranty as to hours,or one year.......
I will not rebuild in my shop,but will try to push the owner in the new or reman direction......boat dr
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 2:53pm
I have questions to both, Buffalo and Boat Dr:

To Buffalo: Why do yo think is time to put money into the engine? Do you feel it is not functioning properly?

To Boat Dr: Why do you reccomend reman. over rebuilding? doesnt a rebuilt engine perform better and last longer? (if properly done)
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 3:23pm
Reman=bore the block to oversze,.010,.020,or .030 replace with new pistons mathing new bore size.
Install new cam bearings
Polish or "turn crank" to specs.New main and rod bearings of proper size.010 or .020 undersize.

Rebuilt is just that .....
Clean out ring grooves,install new rings on old pistons
Replace rod and main bearings with std.
Hope the cam bearings are good
Pray that YOU did not piss away that money.

Only time will tell,but a bonafide reman is almost as good as a crate motor if done with skill and hi quality parts.......
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 3:40pm
Here's the deal then...my chevy has way outlasted the cc it was put in. I have serious gel issues, floor issues, and the beginnings of stringer probs. It all comes apart this winter. My guess is that I could buy a newer boat for about the same money I intend to put in this one...but I like this one. So while it's out...and considering the hrs on it...

Boat Dr. - I went through the long block thing on my '79. I probably used the wrong company(first mate marine), and it took the 3rd motor to get back on the water. The first had a bad rod knock, the 2nd they sent was standard rotation, and the last...didn't run a whole lot better than the original. Not impressed and a load of hassle.

Luchog - it runs great...outruns the new boats around here. That's only because of the work already done. I'm also a pilot, and those motors are gone through frequently...faa mandate and way more expensive than this boat. I just think it's time...2000+ hrs

As far as the expertise goes, I've looked high and low for a good mechanic in my area. I don't know much, but I can tell bs when I hear it.

Maybe I should bring it to LA and see my tee-taunt and tee-nunk?!!? LOL

but the boat dr doesn't do rebuilds...   :(
Thanks, Greg

1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 6:18pm
When you get ready to do the nasty call....
Have a buddy in Houston that can build you a giant killer ,He built my stroker short block.Will use him for my next project,351/427 Stroker.400 hp w/ 500 ft lbs torque.
Gotta find me a Barracuda SS to put her in tho,if you see one let me know.......boat dr
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 8:37pm
Boat Dr. I had the term switched, I thought rebuilt meant boring the parts, and reman. just cleaning.

Lost in translation, I gotta change my diary description now though.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:36am
doc, if you're ever over here (houston) dinner's on me.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 3:00am
where you is? The dude live n/s/e or west houston.Gotta good buddy that lives in Jersey Village and Karens[boat nurse]brother lives in Kingwood.But I try not to go west, only if I have tooooooooo!
But may take you up on the offer, same deal goes here.Do a Google on 71354,Monterey La.
This is where God lives the 6 days he aint in church...........Thanx for the offer.......boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 9:57am
OK, I had the term wrong as well
1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 11:34am
well actually they are one in the same as far as terms go, depending on who's doing the rebuild cam bearings, piston's and block boring can be done. Again not every shop does it that way but most will if you ask them to replace said items. All in all a short block is the way to go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 12:13pm
I gave in on my trans...that really was over my head, but in the perfect world I'd have someone who knows his rats to look over my shoulder and say "that works, but this is better"

The trans lasted nearly 20 yrs and would've lasted longer had it been taken care of, and the motor is amazingly strong for what it's been through. Point being that I'm very impressed...solid machinery! I'd just like to have it crisp again, and I'd like to do the work.

I did find a retired machinist in town(through a small parts store) and will talk with him soon...
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic