Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

80 taking on too much water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80 taking on too much water
    Posted: July-03-2007 at 12:21pm
just this year, my boat seems to take on too much water. the strangest area is under the right side exhaust hose, between the stringer and floor. The mufflers are original, but the hose is new, do the mufflers crack over time? I really dont want to tear it all up and look at it. It looks like I will have to remove the doghouse, rear seat and floor and sit in the water for an hour to find the leak, right?
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 12:30pm
Hey Trike

Mufflers can break yes,but it maybe another spot as well.Can you fill the bilge to a level
that would drip out while on trailer?Then observe where its coming out.

Munday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 12:43pm
there is an idea........
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 1:57pm
Trike,

When you say too much water...are you saying your bilge is holding more water than normal and that water is holding up in the area below the exhaust hose or does it appear to be comming in directly to the channel where the hose is?

The reason I ask , is if the shaft seal packing nut was needing tightened , you may be getting excess water there and when you drive the boat a bit it finds it's self back in the channel where the hose is and gets trapped because the weep hole in the stringer near the stern is plugged.

Before yanking up the floor ,I would put it in the water and dock it and see it that spot fills up first and check the packing nut to see it it is dripping too much(should be 2-3 drips a minute)....if the channel fills , it would most likely be somewhere in the exhuase to muffler connection, cracked muffler , exhaust fitting at stern etc.

Great idea Munday...sort of reverse leak testing. Sometimes thinking backwards is a good thing!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 3:10pm
I filled the bilge, not alot but enough to see water weeping through the rudder hole. I am sure that it needs new packing back there. I suppose that this winter I should replace exhaust hoses, check mufflers, replace packing in the rudder and get a drip free coupler. I would like to stay at the folks on Cayuga lake overnight, but I would not want to leave the boat in the water unattended all night. We usually have it in the water 2 or 3 hours at a time except on holidays at the folks house.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 7:38pm
Take a look at those speedo ballast tubes mounted behind the gas tank. You will need to pull the floor. I had the same problem with a lot of water in the bilge area. The bottom of the ballast tube broke allowing water to flow in. There was also a secondary leak in the speedo line (between the tube and the pick up) that allowed water to drip into the same area you mentioned.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 8:55pm
I once had a small backfire blow the exhaust hose off the stern thru hull fitting...Talk about a lot of water coming in fast, i was lucky i was 30 ft from my ramp and was able to get the trailer under it quickly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 1:51am
Originally posted by DeepCreekNauti DeepCreekNauti wrote:

Take a look at those speedo ballast tubes mounted behind the gas tank. You will need to pull the floor. I had the same problem with a lot of water in the bilge area. The bottom of the ballast tube broke allowing water to flow in. There was also a secondary leak in the speedo line (between the tube and the pick up) that allowed water to drip into the same area you mentioned.

did your speedos work? mine do, I'm assuming both are pretty accurate up till full throttle, then they act funny-as in stop really reading and they are not reading exactly the same ever. close, like 3-4 mph off. I will look at that, good call.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
74 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 11:06am
Originally posted by trikeaholic trikeaholic wrote:

I filled the bilge, not alot but enough to see water weeping through the rudder hole. I am sure that it needs new packing back there. I suppose that this winter I should replace exhaust hoses, check mufflers, replace packing in the rudder and get a drip free coupler.

I think I have the same leak. Is there a way to tighten the rudder nut(assuming that it is a gland nut) and stop the leak, the same way that you do when your shaft is leaking?
Shake and Bake
1974 Skier
74 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 7:06pm
Bump
Shake and Bake
1974 Skier
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by 74 Skier 74 Skier wrote:

Originally posted by trikeaholic trikeaholic wrote:

I filled the bilge, not alot but enough to see water weeping through the rudder hole. I am sure that it needs new packing back there. I suppose that this winter I should replace exhaust hoses, check mufflers, replace packing in the rudder and get a drip free coupler.

I think I have the same leak. Is there a way to tighten the rudder nut(assuming that it is a gland nut) and stop the leak, the same way that you do when your shaft is leaking?

yes its the same
74 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 6:22pm
Thanks Chris, man that is a good lookin' boat!!!
Shake and Bake
1974 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic