Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One manifold is hotter than the other...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 12:38pm
you know im sitting here thinking, on one of the sides i had to re-glass one of the three inch inlets because alot was missing so the hose would fit snug, maybe just maybe the old pieces are in the invertaflow.
I spun that thing around like a 20 year old and nothing fell out.
Randy, time to run some straights
but then again, how hot is it getting?
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I spun that thing around like a 20 year old

Randy, while you have it apart, you might want to disinfect that muffler!

No need to pull the risers to get the invertaflow off, if thats what you choose to do.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 4:09pm
the hose was pulsating going to the port side, may want to check out further or buy the rebuild kit that includes the shaft seal
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Let me check the '93 sport here before you tear anything apart.

I personally do not think you have a problem.

I talked to Vince at DIM last week, he told me I should be able to keep my hand on both manifolds without risking a burn. He said the starboard side will usually run a little hotter than the port side but neither side should cause a burn. If I left my hand on the starboard side too long after running it I would get burned. It's HOT!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 4:46pm
I am not getting any pulsating on the hoses anymore.

When I disconnected the hose from the transmission cooler last night all the water that was in the hose fell out the intake as soon as I pulled the hose. if there was a leak, wouldn't the water be leaking out while it sat and not create this vacuum that holds the water in the hoses?

Either way, I really think this exhaust hose between the starboard riser and the invertaflo needs to be replaced. The port side hose is hard all the way around and this hose is really soft in spots. I can push on it with my pinky finger and it gives.

I think I am going to try to take the invertaflow off tonight and take a look at it even if I have to out it back together with the wired hose.

If the pump was pulling air I think I would be seeing a lot of bubbles going through the clear hose running to the OJ seal. I discussed this with Vice also and he seemed to think the pump was probably fine.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 5:17pm
I'm with Eric on the "chasing our tail" bit. I don't know how much attention this really deserves. According to my temp gage, my engine runs around 140°, however, I couldn't leave my hand on either riser for more than 4-5 seconds without some serious discomfort. Do I think I have an issue...absolutely not. I'm sure the manifolds/risers don't flow water as efficiently as they did when they were new, but that doesn't mean they're bad. I don't know what the melting point is of the exhaust hose/inline mufflers, but I doubt they're in any danger. Maybe I'm in for a big surprise one day, but I'm not about to throw on $550 worth on new manifolds & risers to so I can have fun putting my hand on the risers all evening.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 7:44pm
Randy - another idea to help pinpoint this - when you have the invertaflow off, run the garden hose into the hose going to the thermostat (take it off RWP output port). Then you can see how even the flow is from L-R. At least it would satisfy your curiosity about the adequacy of the plumbing.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 8:07pm
The manifolds on my boat used to get very hot. I think it was due to the scale inside the ports. My solution was bead blasting and repainting. The mating surfaces needed a lot of attention as well; there was very little of the original gaskets in place and because of rust pitting they couldn't have been routing water properly...even though they didn't leak on the outside.

They other thing this thread makes me think of is the impeller pieces that I found trapped in the smaller cooling ports between the head and block when I rebuilt it. No kidding...a small handful!

Hope you get it worked out, and I wouldn't want to hold my hand on a riser after a hard run. They do cool off quickly though.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 8:20pm
I am missing a glove, just one, its white with glitter on it, maybe down in the hose?

Randy, take the hoses off at the invertaflow and fire the boat and make sure the water is not restricted in the risers, make sure there is nice flow from both hoses. and then look to the invertaflow
the risers were pretty coroded and i had to take a good cut on the gasket surface, moreso on one than the other????
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 4:08am
I wrestled the invertaflow off of the outlet hose and the starboard side, it is still connected to the port side. I noticed that the inlet on the starboard side of the invertaflow was cracked and collapsing. this explains why I have had a drip at the inlet on the invertaflow since I got it back from Eric. I think what happened is when the hose clamps were tightened it collapsed the somewhat thin fiberglass material that the invertaflow is made out of. when I noticed it leaking I tried to tighten it even more and it was probably just crushing under the hose. When I reached my hand up inside the hose I can feel a lot of crud or some sort of maybe bubbling of the inside of the hose. I don't know if this is restricting the water flow enough to cause this side to heat up but I think I am going to try to replace the hose anyway with the wire reinforced hose that I already have. I couldn't get the old hose to slide off of the riser and I think I'm going to have to cut it off with a hack saw. I think I will probably just replace both sides while I have it off. I repaired the crack in the inlet with JB weld. I found a bottle to stick in the inlet to hold the round shape while I repaired the outside with the JB weld. I'll have to finish it up tomorrow night after the JB cures.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 10:29am
you need to fire it up at this point and see what kinda flow you get from that hose, look down inside the IF, for any restrictions. that area that you have JB welded is the area where i took a piece of pvc as a form and wrapped glass around it to create a surface for the hose. all of that was missing when i removed the hoses...it had to go somewhere at one point. that 3" hose is not going to create the restriction, the bubbles you are feeling is probably from the hose heating up.
Something caused that inlet pipe to break down and corode away, I would really fire the boat and compare the flow side to side, remember the risers were not replaced and judging by the flow when you remove the hose from the manifold, its not a flow problem. I really think the risers are restricted
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 3:10pm
Eric I thought I would use snobsessed's method of running a garden hose into the thermostat housing and check the flow of water out of the manifolds that way. I'm thinking it may make a hell of a mess firing it up with the muffler removed...?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

I'm thinking it may make a hell of a mess firing it up with the muffler removed...?

Super loud anyway Randy. I washed more towels working on my boat.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 10:33pm
Put a bucket under each & catch both, then you can compare easily.

Guys, isn't there a specific orientation to the riser gasket? Would having it backwards restrict the flow? Another possibility, however remote . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 4:49am
The JB weld fix seems to have worked great. The side that needed fixing looks like the side Eric didn't fix, the side that he fixed was the side that was running cool. I can't believe how thin the fiberglass is on these invertafow's.

The hoses went on a lot easier than I thought they would. I soaked them in some hot soapy water before I started and used a spray bottle with soapy water to soak down the risers and inlets. No problems with the wired hose.

I ran the garden hose to the hose before the thermostat housing and put buckets under the new hoses and the water collected seemed to be pretty close to equal.

I think the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Inside of the hose on the side that was overheating

Another shot of the inside of the hose on the hot side.

Hose from the side that was running cool.

New hoses installed

I think the hoses are bubbled up on the inside from when the previous owner overheated the engine when he forgot to put the strainer cup back on...

My theory now is that this badly damaged hose combined with the restriction at the inlet on the invertaflow caused by the collapsing fiberglass was causing enough restriction that the water chose the path of least resistance and was going through the manifold on the somewhat good side and avoiding the bad side. I will test it out in the driveway tomorrow morning and take it to the lake and give it a good test run if everything looks good.

I hope this is was what was causing the problem.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 11:39am
I think we burned that hose on the GL run that day, thats still not enough of a restriction, keep looking,
your working backwards, the bucket method under the risers would've helped to eliminate if the risers are the problem, we know they have good flow going in with the hose dis-connected, if the risers are restricted it will slow the flow
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 5:12pm
Eric, I'm pretty sure that these hoses have been like this since I got the boat.

I ran it in the driveway for about 20 minutes at idle with the garden hose hooked up. It seems to be staying a lot cooler now. I won't know for sure until I water test it this afternoon but I'm feeling pretty confident that I found the problem.

I would say that the 3 1/2" hose was reduced to about a 2" - 2 1/2" hose the with the way it was all bubbled up and corroded inside.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2009 at 12:43am
The water test went good, both sides are running at about the same temperature the port side is slightly hotter than the starboard side but things seem to be a lot better.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2009 at 11:31am
was it always running hot?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

was it always running hot?

Probably...

I think the combination of the crushed inlet on the invertaflow combined with the bad piece of hose combined with the new unrestricted manifolds made the problem worse for the starboard side.

I did notice that the port side now runs a bit warmer than it did when the starboard side was getting too hot but that makes sense since the water is not favoring the port side and instead is flowing more equal to both sides.

You have to remember that after the manifolds those hoses are carrying both water and exhaust gases. Even though the restriction in that hose may not have been enough to restrict the flow of water coming from a 1" feed hose, combined with the exhaust gas, I think it was creating enough back pressure to make the water favor the other side. That bad hose was reducing the inside diameter to about 2" in the center of that hose.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic