Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help on tranny removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help on tranny removal
    Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:05pm
can anyone tell me how to remove the bottom nuts that are right in front of the mounts?
I cant get any type wrench in there.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:10pm
Uhm, remove the mounts
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 7:53pm
I got it out, yes i had to remove the mounts.

thanks......
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 7:26am
make sure you change the damper, very crucial to replace
"the things you own will start to own you"
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 8:24am
I changed out the damper, damn the tranny is heavy. got every thing back together last night. thanks for all the help.
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 8:30am
about the shaft coupler allignment- I squeezed the coupler together and looked for a gap difference. there was none. the bolts lined up perfectly. I dont think that it was off any. did i do this right??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 8:41am
NO! use a set of feelers blades between the 2, go to the alignment topic for a better understanding
eric
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 8:47am
eric, where is the allignment topic? i want to be sure that it is right. although i didnot adjust the mounts would adjustments be necessary/
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 12:01pm
yes, it is critical to optimize alignment. make no assumptions.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 10:27pm
I aligned it today.
.003 on top .001 on bottom
seems to spin alot smoother now.
it was out .014 on top and .004 on bottom.
Is this satisfactory?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 7:25am
Joes, Top to bottom is a difference of .002" that's good. Did you check from side to side?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 7:49am
yes side to side is good. the gap at sides gets smaller as i slide feeler from top aroud to bottom. both sides have the same gap. as i slide feeler towards bottom .003 gets tight about half way. .001-.oo25 feeler well fit the rest of the way around the bottom
same on both sides.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 8:23am
another lost tranny job..
Im glad you spent the extra time to align,
alot of guys dont and it loads the output of the trans and worse case will blow the planets and take out the case, then the trans is useless,
i need to refresh the alignment topic but cant remember where it is, maybe under maintanance
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 8:29am
It took me a while to find it finally i searched for alignment. the topic helped alot. I just adjusted the rear mounts the same a little at a time. this is as close as i can get it. i hope its ok to have it tight at the bottom and .003 at the top. i spun the shaft around while adjusting and the gap was always at the same spot. thanks eric. I thought it would be a horrific job to replace the damper but other than a few bolts that were tough to get to it wasnt all that hard.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 8:47am
it seems like a big job but once your done you think that wasnt so bad, where did you see the alignment post? if you find it again post a message and bring it back to the top
joes83sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes83sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 8:54am
Its under boat maint. mabye a video of some sort of alignment would be more informative. just a thought..
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 10:16am
Here is a link to Eric's alignment thread:

Alignment How To

I think it would be good if Keith could sticky (keep it at the top) this thread in the maintenance section. It seems to come up a lot and Eric has done a great job documenting it.

Eric, Joe has a real good idea with the video. If your interested in doing it I would be willing to bring a camera and my boat up your way some Saturday.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 5:07pm
Randy, i thought you joined the church and dis-appeared on us,
Im not opposed to a video..of course there will be subliminal messages added to the effect of dont check your oil or check your alignment next year or the year after..
lets wait for an all rainy weekend since i am the proud owner of a boat.
I gotta place up on the Portage river and it is some of the smoothest water Ive seen in a long time, we have a ramp and we'll pick a weekend where you and the family could come up. call me Monday and we'll pick a weekend
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 5:34pm
No Eric, I didn't join the church, I've just been working a lot and out using the boat when the weather permits... yes, this would definitely have to be a rainy day project.

I'll give you a call Monday. The river sounds like a great time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic