Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please help! Won’t Start.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help! Won’t Start.
    Posted: May-26-2007 at 9:12pm
Got a problem. I have an 86 2001. We are tring to get her in the water this weekend but are stuck. The boat will turn over who good cranking but without any spark. I have replaced the points and d cap new today. Replaced the coil. We have sparks (volts) from coil but not from to any plug wires. We replaced the + battery cable and made new a connection to the - as well. Can't figue this out!

The marina is a cc dealer so I pretty sure the parts (d cap and points) are correct. Any ideas?

Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 9:33pm
Is the rotor in its' correct position? Also check point gap. Were they (points) set on the high side of the lobe? Points may not be seated correctly on the distributer plate.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Hamlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 11:27pm
Do I understand correctly that you get a good spark from the coil wire when you hold it close to the engine block while cranking? If so, I would guess that the rotor is not installed correctly, is the wrong one, or the cap is wrong. Did you get both rotor and cap? What distributor do you have? What are the part numbers for the cap, rotor, and points you installed?
MARK WALLACE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARK WALLACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 12:09pm
just a thought, I just replaced points on my 86,I fought that boat for four days,guys on the web site tried everything to help me, finally went to parts house bought another set of points and she fired right up and ran perfect. Ski-Dim sent the wrong points they were a little diffrent from the points that were on the boat but i figured they had changed the style or something. Now i am really not qaulified to give mechanical advice on your boat, but it might be something to think about.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 12:31pm
Mark,and also to you Hamlin,sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot with our own attitude.Put the stuff back in the boat or the motor or on the trailer that came in there,
DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING;
Mallory Distr. = mallory points and condenser
Ford Motor =Autolite plugs & FoMoCo parts
Borg/Warner tranny= Call Eric
Holley Carb= Holley Kit and parts
How many hours did you chase that monkey Mark???????     boat dr
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 12:05pm
must be a memorial wknd deal...had the same problem with mine :( Thinking of switching it over to an EI like this one. Any gotchas to watch out for?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 2:27pm
never mind...went cheap and picked up the $45 tune up kit :) Anyone have a recommendation for a starting place on the point gap for a 454?
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 4:22pm
.035 is the correct gap for the 454 Dank
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 4:27pm
Thanx! Sorry for hijacking the thread :)
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 6:41pm
We swapped the old points and cap back in it and set the point gap and she fired on the first try. I'm thinking the cap was defective.

After that 2 day PITA, we spent 5 hours trying to get the jet ski started only to discover that it was out of gas. Doohhh!!

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 12:29am
just correcting this in case anyone finds it in a search... .035 is the spark plug gap, but the breaker point gap for the mallory distributor is .020 :) Working on it tomorrow so hopefully we'll get it rolling.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 12:38am
all you have to do is spark the points inside tha cap and then it will charge the condensor, Might have to do it several times before it takes. Same thing on jbears new points won't start, jumped the points started finally john was getting a little worried since he knows how much I like points.

For those that don't know throw the f**king things in the lake and get into the current century.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 7:43am
of all the problems i ever have with engines, it always ends up being the points or the condensor,
i agree...pitch em
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 1:23pm
I put my 88 Skier in last weekend, (Ford 240 PCM). It ran fine, then had a skip and then cut out. I could not get it started. It had no spark. The point gap was perfect, even after 4 years. I screwed with it for about an hour and was about ready to give up. I thought it was the coil. Then the light bulb went on: I looked under the dash. One of the ignition wires had fallen off. I slid it back on, and it fired right up.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic