Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

repaint

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
lilltechile82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: repaint
    Posted: April-18-2007 at 12:37pm
does any one how much it would cost to repaint a 87 ski nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 1:11pm
What's the problem with your current finish? Do you have any photos you can post. I believe that by 87, The hull and mainstripe are all gel coat, no paint. The graphics, I beleive are stickers. Depending upon what's wrong with your finish, a wetsand, polish and new stickers may have you looking good as new. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 1:24pm
Are you planning to pay for it to be done or do it yourself? Then are you going to paint or gelcote? Do you have cracks or blisters in the gelcote that may indicate other problems that should be corrected before you refinish the boat?

Lots of questions but there are many options for you. I am using gelcote on my boat. I bought the cheap stuff at $40 a gallon. Need about 8-10 gallons for the entire boat. There is some very nice no sand high gloss gelcote at more than $100 bucks a gallon. Then the cost of having somebody else do it. It is very labor intensive so figure on a lot of labor cost.

If you go with paint you can use quality automotive paints that vary from $40 - $100 a gallon but you would need only a few gallons. Again it is very labor intensive so if you pay somebody else to do it plan on a small fortune.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 4:34pm
Yea, the labor involved is a lot greater than the price of the materials.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 5:33pm
my finish has long cracks along the side of the boat and a few other spots and little nicks and scrapes and one spot looks like somethink hit the boat about the size of a silver dollar on the side and spidered it
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 8:13pm
All of those areas you described have under lying structural issues that need to be addressed before you refinish the boat. If you dont then it will crack all over again. Some of these cracks may be caused by the stringers losing their grip on the hull, typical.

You can sand off some of the gelcote without going all the way to the glass where there are no cracks. Then you can apply new gel. You have to grind all the way to the glass with the cracks. You can grind all the way in that area or use a dremel and gouge out only the cracks.

You are looking at about 1 thousand for you to do it yourself. Two or three times if you have it all done by somebody else.
Bill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 8:41pm
how do i know if its structure issues
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 5:57am
82, Can you post some pictures of the cracks? Skibum is correct that cracks show up due to other problems. Do the cracks in the side run parallel to the floor? Is the floor loose at spots where it meets the hull? Look in the bilge where the stringers meet the hull and see if there is cracking there. Check your stringers for rot. (Do a search above for checking stringers and read up on it) Check the alignment of the trans coupling to the prop shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 9:32am
the cracks do run parallel to the floor how do you check for alignment and were do i get the reading material and im not shure on how to post pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 10:23am
82, One of the great things about this site is the vast knowledge with our members and the many subjects and problems that have been discussed and solved. The quick search above will take you to allot of reading material. All you need to do is put in a key word such as "alignment" or "stringer rot" and it will pop up all the appropriate threads.

In our "off topic" section there is a great thread on how to post pictures.

The cracks in the side that parallel the floor, are they at about the same level as the floor?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 10:26am
i would say they are baout the same level
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 10:50am

Here is just an example. The first picture is what the boat looked like before I grinded off all of the gelcote. There are tiny cracks in the gelcote finish all across the stern. Why are they there? Look at the second picture. The fiberglass is actually cracked below the gelcote. Next question, why is the fiberglass cracked? In my case the stringers were so rotten they werent doing their job to support the hull. I knew there was a problem when I saw cracks in the joint between the stringer and hull. Also, the floor in the front was separated from the hull and the stringers below it weren't attached to the hull and were rotten. These are the underlying structural problems that cause cracks in the gelcote. If you just rush out and regel then they will come back.
Bill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 10:56am
so another words i should tear my floor up i got to figure out how to show you some pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 11:10am
82, Don't tear it up yet! Read up on checking for rotted stringers and do some looking around in the bilge.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 11:15am
you cant really see much from the bilge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 11:53am
everything look alright in the bilge there is a few spots were the floor meet the hull it is a little soft
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 12:52pm

This is a busy picture, a lot going on here. In the bilge at the bulkhead the bond between the hull and bulkhead is cracked. That means all the water in the bilge goes into the foam in the hull and saturates the stringers. On the sides there are rotten stringers that have been soaked for some time. Any crack between the stringer and hull indicates failure. If you can turn the bolts on the engine cradle and they dont tighten the wood is soft. Usually right where the exhaust comes down from the risers to the bilge that area fails first. There may be actual soft spots on the floor. Like a handful of people said already, use the quick search to view previous strings on stringers, floor, and hull.
Bill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 1:02pm
do you think you can post a few more pics i'm going to check bolts and see if they spin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 1:04pm
i herd that 87 were a bad year for the gelcoat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 1:28pm
i check the bolts the top ones tighten the ones in the side spun i'm going to post some pic of the cracks here shortly maybe that will help to
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 4:12pm
I don't have any cracks in the gel on the BFN. Just two bad repairs by po. But Eric is taking care of those for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 5:20pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 5:21pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 6:26pm
is anyone willing to asume why the gel coat cracked
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 7:50pm
these hulls are so rigid even with the internal structure gone i really believe it shouldnt crack like it is, normally stress cracks will be a mirror image, if there are cracks on one spot of the boat you could go to the other side opposite and find them. have they always been there? are they the only cracks? tyou the only owner?
"the things you own will start to own you"
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 7:59pm
Those don't look so good. I hope they look worse in the pic then in person. I wouldn't even want to try to guess other then the stringers, but it doesn't sound like Eric is convinced that it is the stringers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 4:45am
Eric, I agree that the hulls alone are built very solid but I'm not convinced that a bad stringer system won't start the stress cracking. He has mentoned that there was a PO but hasn't talked about what the PO told him about the boat. He also has soft spots in the floor and some engine mount bolts that turn. I'm begining to believe that we have another boat with stringer rot. The long cracks in the gel seem to me from the boat twisting in the middle from stringers let loose from the hull.

82, Did you ask the previous owner much about the boat? Are the long cracks on both sides of the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 7:39am
oh, it may be stringers, if its twisting on one side it should be twisting on the other, i think more facts are needed and more pics. the corners are alot thicker and just about bulletproof. something wierd is going on. the bullet cracks looks like something hit on the inside and caused it to spider web.
im really clueless on this one
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 8:04am
Eric, The twisting idea is why I asked him if the cracks are on both sides. I have the same "bullet" spidering on both sides in the same spot of my Tique. They are right at the corner of a raised portion of the floor-hull under the gas tank. I'm sure it is a stress point in the hull sides.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilltechile82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 9:20am
the pic above is the driverside the other side a few but not as bad. the po didn't know much of anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic