Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Winterization Done, 1970 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mgrunow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrunow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Winterization Done, 1970 Mustang
    Posted: April-09-2007 at 9:40am
I bought a 1970 Mustang in October and it spent one night ar 25F before I had a chance to bring it to the Marina. Once there, I was told the freeze plugs had been pushed out and all I could do was wait for the spring and hope the block do not rust out or crack.

Can I get some step by step advice (or a link to where it has been previously written) on how to:

1) Re-insert the freeze plugs.
2) Check the block for cracks
3) Prep the engine for a test start with water connected in the driveway.

Any other thoughts and advice are welcome...

Mike

Mike Grunow
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 10:29am
The freeze plugs are fairly straight forward to reinsert as they just press in and can be installed with a proper sized socket and hammer preferably a plastic dead blow job, I usually use some permatex aircraft gasket sealer on them, but it is not easy to do inside the boat as there is not much room to swing a hammer and it is not easy to get it in straigh enough. I have replaced one that rusted through (got to love it when a PO can spring the extra 2 dollars for a set of brass freeze plugs) without removing the motor but if it was more than one I would probably pull the motor and put it on a stand.

First thing I would do is say a prayer,

Second thing I would do is make sure the motor still turns over.

Third thing I would do is test the compression.

Fourth thing I would do remove and pressure test the exhaust manifolds.

Then and only then would I attempt to put water to and start the boat.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

First thing I would do is say a prayer

Sounds like his prayers were answered. No mention of the botched winterization in his for sale ad.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 5:07pm
How does your mind work Tim, that you remembered that post from 5 months ago???

I'm sure Mike is tickled that you remembered it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

How does your mind work Tim, that you remembered that post from 5 months ago???

I actually inquired about the boat when it was for sale last November in upstate NY- but Mike beat me to it. When it popped back up on Craigslist with the same description as a year ago (now listed at twice the price), it caught my eye.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 5:20pm
Last time I check boats go only as fast as you push the throttle down. I don't like that ad at all, sounds like a bunch of BS.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 5:40pm
He claims that boats is way to fast for small children. I didn't know reid was the previous owner before that guy...
mgrunow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrunow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 7:17pm
I'll pay %100 of any work that any buyer claims need to be performed to have this boat match the advertisement.

Gentelmen. I think you have been rather quick to judge my character and I applaud the memory. You are correct, the original price was $1500.

The original boat had just hit a rock and the prop and the shaft strut were blown out. I have had a new strut and shaft manufactured at the original casting facility in Wisconsin and I have had it professionally mounted, shimmed and tuned. Also, I have repaired the gas tankd I beefed up the trailer front assembly to make put in and take out much easier.

The new price is essentially a break even for me. It is negotiable, this thing has got to go.

Winterization ended up all right. I got the plugs in fine and the engine worked perfect at elevated temps for longer durations.

Mike Grunow
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by mgrunow mgrunow wrote:

The original boat had just hit a rock and the prop and the shaft strut were blown out. I have had a new strut and shaft manufactured at the original casting facility in Wisconsin and I have had it professionally mounted, shimmed and tuned. Also, I have repaired the gas tankd I beefed up the trailer front assembly to make put in and take out much easier.

According to the ad when it sold last year (of which I kept a copy) it says the tank had already been repaired:

"Completely reconditioned the 18 gal steel gas tank and recoated it with epoxy resin sealer (POR-15) gas-tank coatings."

I saw the high-res photos of the gelcoat damage and its pretty rough. I dont think the boat is worth what youre asking. I also fail to see how you added over $1700 of value to the boat, as the asking price was $1500 Negotiable last year. The previous ad listed the price of the prop at >$300, not >$450, but the way.

I am glad to hear that the strut and shaft were repaired properly and that the botched winterization didnt turn out to cause major damage. At least the boat looks to be mostly original. Good luck with the sale.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by mgrunow mgrunow wrote:

The new price is essentially a break even for me.

HA!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 8:01pm
maybe you should go try and sell that line of BS to the mastercrap guy's they're a lot slower then us old dog's here.

mentally and on the water.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic