Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trouble shooting cooling system

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trouble shooting cooling system
    Posted: March-29-2007 at 11:33am
Finally finished restoration of my 67 barracuda ss. Remanufactured 318 (original block was frozen), new stringers, floor, carpet, wetsand and polished gelcoat. It looks great and sounds even better. However the engine heats up very quickly when on the water. The boat has two water pickups (one has two hose hookups and the other has one)instead of one, and uses a dual impeller pump to pull the water out of the lake. This engine has no circulation pump like a car. It just uses the dual impeller pump. Is the hose leading from the thermostat housing a return? Also could the problem be my thermostat or impellers? I would like to talk to someone who has this boat or same engine (318 poly). Anyone's advice would be greatly appreciated.
'cuda
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 2:03pm
Is the boat heating up sitting still? Sometimes the impellor can get worn and not prime itself sitting still, which is the time to replace. A friend of mine has a 66 skier with the same set up you have. Be carefull, you don't want to warp a head.
Tim D
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 2:08pm
Thanks Tim...Yes it is heating upu sitting still. I made it about 100 yards out into the lake and realized it was getting hot, so i shut it off for about 10-15 minutes and then putted back to the landing. Hope I did not hurt anything.
'cuda
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 2:15pm
Well, I would replace the impellor. Mine started that a couple of years ago. When you take the impellor out, you should be able to see a definite worn flat spot on each blade.
And most pumps, you can replace the cam at the bottom if it is worn.
Tim D
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 3:40pm
I agree I would change the impellor. When it gets hot sitting still, that is the sign that it's getting ready to go bad. I would also check to make sure you don't have any blockages inside the hoses.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic