Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.P.I.N

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
9360SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9360SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S.P.I.N
    Posted: March-28-2007 at 12:21am
the season is come, have a visit to S.P.I.N.
http://www.spin-site.org/phyllis.htm
enjoy our self and let others safty!
if some people install prop.gard to their inboard?
Go on wakeboard
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 12:16pm
That's depressing............ Saw a guy at Lake Shasta last year back over his son with his $60k Malibu. Cut his knee wide open.

Turn the damn boat off if anyone is in the water.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 9:43am
boating 101 their never have the engine running with people around the boat in the water.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 10:00am
Is it easy to install an aftermarket kill-switch with the wrist lanyard? Are parts available for an aftermarket set-up? What's involved?

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Is it easy to install an aftermarket kill-switch with the wrist lanyard? Are parts available for an aftermarket set-up? What's involved?

Ken

Easy as pie. Just buy one like this and wire it like this:

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 11:37am
Thanks, Tim. I'm definitely buying one. It's not expensive at all.

By the way, are you an electrical or mechanical engineer?

Ken
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 11:43am
or arm chair?
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 12:30am
Had one on the last one and will do it to the new one.

64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2007 at 1:56pm
The story in the link is very sad. No one could disagree with that, but how many of you really want to see a "manditory-prop-guard-on-all-boats" rule? That is what this message is advocating.

This is a quote from the link story:

"...a purpose ... To warn others of exposed propeller dangers, and to work to make it mandatory for all boats to have safety equipment installed and regulated for use. Such items are propeller guards..."

I for one would hate to see that. The prop guard in particular (if we're talking about the same thing) is going to rob performance characteristics as well as economy (already generally poor in boats).

Those guards, to my knowledge, are designed for lower HP fishing boats to keep weeds off the prop or protect the prop itself in shallows, not for human safety (feel free to correct if I'm wrong).

A lanyard may not be a bad idea, but I wouldn't even want that to be manditory.

Caution and a healthy respect for what it is you're doing while boating are going to be far more effective than manditory performance restricting gadgets.

I've always wondered why more states don't require some sort of boat driver's license and a test to obtain it whereby you prove that you're worthy and able to operate one in the first place.

Many (maybe all - I don't know?) states have manditory safety courses, but (speaking for MD) they don't really prepare you to drive or verify you've had adequate practice and developed the needed skills.

I believe efforts in boat safety would be better directed at making sure operators are knowledgeable in the first place.

I apologize if I sound unfeeling; I'm not. I just think that most accidents are probably due things I've mentioned and the prop guard solution is just way too impractical (with regard to performance) and will probably seldom aid in an accident like this anyway.

Accidents do happen unfortunately, but an accident like the one described would most times be avoided with responsible drivers and common sense.

As was stated earlier, if someone is nearby in the water, the engine is switched off (for example).
Inboards Rule!
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 10:57am
64, I'm glad someone said it. I was holding my tongue. I agree that while it is sad, tragedies do happen due to operator error or equipment error. Having the government come in and mandate this is absurd and takes the responsibility away from the boat operator. Same thing with the exhaust warnings due to morons letting their kids hang on to the platform while idling.

The fact is that more people are injured and killed by getting their heads caught in power windows of cars than are injured by boat props (this is absolutely true).

It is every boat owners' responsibility to practice safe boating and to know what you are doing before placing your family or friends at risk. It is the the operator's responsibility, not the government's to do everything that he or she can do to ensure that safety is on everyone's mind.
Let the government stick to handling the mail.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 11:10pm
"A series of events lead to all three of us being thrown from the boat that Saturday."

The ommision of this information says volumes about what may have happened here. While I have great sympathy for the victims here, I would have to believe that their behavior led to the accident.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 8:16am
65 'cuda,

That is just almost certainly the case. If everyone is where they're suppose to be while underway, it's pretty hard for everyone (including the driver) to end up "in the drink!"

I read a story (probably the one referenced by Poster 112 - above) about the guy whose kid drowned because he was letting him body surf in the wake of his ski boat.

Again, primarily common sense. You wouldn't start the car and then tell your kid to go play with his head 4 feet from the tail pipe.

BUT, ALSO -- this article said the kid, once overcome by fumes, disappeared beneath the surface, and was lost. Why? He wasn't wearing a life jacket! PLAYING IN THE WAKE A FEW FEET BEHIND A SKI BOAT WITHOUT A LIFE JACKET!?!?!?

Inboards Rule!
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 4:52am
"Kill Switches" are a must I think. We have the Marine Accident Investigation Board here and their site always features horror stories of people run down by their own boat. Sadly often rich kids playing in the tender to a big powerboat. Usually there's a lanyard fitted but they don't use it.

The switch it off rule is just common sense. I had that rule drummed into me before I ever went near any skis. Of the few prop accidents I've seen, I think they have all been caused by breaking the rule.

It's so easy to knock an idling boat into gear, often reverse to make it worse, when you turn round to see if the skier is back in the boat. Switch it off it's the only way.
Easily Parted From Money
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic