Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Florida Keys Houseboating

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Florida Keys Houseboating
    Posted: March-06-2007 at 1:29pm
Does anyone have any experience with renting a houseboat around the Florida Keys? I am looking for a boat for 8 with the ability to pretty much cruise and explore anywhere I want to go.

Rob
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 2:05pm
I can't help you, but I just saw a tv special about houseboats the other day.One of the areas shown was in the Fl. keys. It looked like a great time. I think they rented it on Marathon Key.Have fun! I would love to do that.
Scott
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 11:49pm
Check all the rules and regs that go with renting one. Friend of mine at work rented one while in AZ. He said once it got close to night fall you had to have the houseboat anchorsed for the night. He said they sent people out to check, if they found anyone not tied up for the night they returned them to shore and ended their rental right then. Might want to check into that. But I am sure they would explain that. Sounds like fun hope to do it someday.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 8:55am
most houseboats don't have running lights that I recall, really wouldn't want to be cruiding in one of those tanks at night anyway. Isn't reid getting ready to head to the keys?
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:55am
I think I saw that same houseboat special.
The one that I saw had a newer all white Super Air and they refered to it as a "Supercharged Jet Boat".
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 4:28pm
Chris, I'm headed towards Key West tomorrow PM, but just for 3 days. Anybody that wants to ride down for a free ride and camper bed in Key West, just meet us anywhere on the Florida Turnpike Friday between West Palm and Homestead, starting at 10:00 AM+/- and headed south. Or just ride over to Melbourne or Vero Beach and meet us on I-95. The possibilities are endless. Gotta go.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 4:38pm
That's a wonderful drive. If anyone here hasn't driven from Miami to KW, you owe it to yourself to do it sometime. Legendary piece of road.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

That's a wonderful drive. If anyone here hasn't driven from Miami to KW, you owe it to yourself to do it sometime. Legendary piece of road.

Which has become a nightmare in my opinion.. The traffic is packed the entire way, and when I went down there last September, multiple bridges are being constructed... You have to stop at each Key for a shot and a beer just to calm your nerves from traffic jambs... If you have got plenty of time to kill great.... Me, I'll fly in next time...

Key West is a riot though once you get there !!! :):)

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 7:36pm
Moj,
Sorry you had such a bad time with the traffic, but like you said, it all centers around whether you've got the time to spend. I was very surprised that it wasn't bad at all when we headed down on 12/27 and came back on 1/2/07, but again we were tooling in a rental motor home and not pushing it too hard. Man, I wish someone was going with us. I'll post more about this in the coming weeks/months, as far as heading back down there, as we'll have a place to crash.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

resorter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 8:02pm
I looked through the local keys phone book and chamber of commerce listings and the only place that advertises houseboats is "Houseboat Vacations" located in Islamorada (305) 664-4009. If you can find a houseboat to rent out of Marathon (middle keys) that would be ideal. There are a lot of out islands on the Gulf side and a few on the Atlantic side along with the reef at Looe key (Ramrod Key). The middle keys are best if you want to be away from the Key West and Islamorada crowds, especially during the winter/spring season. I just don't recall seeing many rental agents who deal in houseboats down here, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just not a real popular type of boat in the area.
Southwind 20
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Moj,
Sorry you had such a bad time with the traffic, but like you said, it all centers around whether you've got the time to spend. I was very surprised that it wasn't bad at all when we headed down on 12/27 and came back on 1/2/07, but again we were tooling in a rental motor home and not pushing it too hard. Man, I wish someone was going with us. I'll post more about this in the coming weeks/months, as far as heading back down there, as we'll have a place to crash.

Reid,
It's true, we just wanted to get there.. If your in a nice motor home, your not fling anyway.... We're heading back down in Sept. Staying with a friend who has a time share on the beach.. Great times down there !!! Snd us some picsof the sunshine... We need it up here...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 12:05am
Wish I could go along for the ride or that you had time to swing here. Cherry Pockets called and said they have a table for us. But we got house guests coming the few days. My partner from work, really I can't wait to see him. Only thing I miss from work is working with him. Gonna tip a few and see some baseball.

Drive safe. Hi to Laurie and pet them kids on the head.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 12:26am
reid...get some more pics of those big boobs, dont forget to put sunscreen on your dome, oh, and have a nice trip!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic