NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Graphics Issue!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lake Horse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graphics Issue!
    Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:33am
Please forgive the stupid question but I need to know how to polish and wax the hull without messing up the original graphics which are painted on. I would like to have them painted back but how can I protect them when I'm trying to improve the shine. Any info would be great.
Lake Horse
76 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:42am
don't wax the side or bottom of the hull it will just create a scum line and will yellow below the waterline.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:58am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

don't wax the side or bottom of the hull it will just create a scum line and will yellow below the waterline.

I've hear this before. However, I wonder if it's subject to what water you're in, and how long you leave the boat in the water. I've waxed the sides and hull of my boats for over 10 years, and never noticed any yellowing. However, my boats have only remained in the water over night on a handful of occasions.

As to polishing the paint, it is fairly strong and should stand up to light polishing (you buff out your car after all) however, you'd need to be careful at the edges. Your mustang has a fairly thin stripe. You could just tape it off while you compound or wetsand the gel coat areas. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 10:12am
I had the problem on mine it would yellow in a days time, Steve told me about it at GL last year so I didn't wax it and it didn't yellow along the water line.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 11:04am
The boat has been run in Lake Norfork in northern Arkansas and I never saw any yellowing but when I ran it in Sardis Lake in northern Mississippi, it yellowed the first day after I polished, washed, and waxed it.??????
Lake Horse
76 Mustang

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

I wonder if it's subject to what water you're in, and how long you leave the boat in the water.

BKH is correct again.

Lake horse, take a minute and think about the water clarity of Sardis compared to norfolk.

Sardis looks like chocolate milk and is filled by run off from cotton/soy bean feilds.scary to think about all the pesticide that is probably in that lake.

Norfolk is spring fed, crystal clear, and surrounded by limestone.   
Life is Good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 12:08pm
well Wawasee is pretty clear natural lake spring feed with a mostly sand bottom, so It might be the water quality but I doubt it from my experince.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 12:21pm
So what should I do to get the color back from the boat?????
Lake Horse
76 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 12:28pm
Perhaps its not a water quality issue- maybe it has more to do with a water composition (minerals, etc). We have kept boats in the water for extended periods of time, both with waxed and unwaxed bottoms. Both react the same way and develop a scum line at the waterline, and a film on all surfaces below the water. Boats with a good coat of wax on them are easier to clean up, but thats about the only difference Ive seen. Ive never experienced any "yellowing," especially after such a short time in the water.

Our lake is far from having the greatest water quality. The bottom ranges from sandy to mucky. The underwater visibility is fairly poor.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 12:52pm
I thought you were supposed to wax your boat often. Is that wrong?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 1:25pm
Skibum, I agree I've always waxed the boat often. I too think it makes it easier to clean up, and it helps prevent water spots from the hard water we have on my waterway.

It's been suggested that the wax might contribute to yellowing. In my mind that could make sense. I'm thinking however, that with a good coat of wax the yellowing might be topical, and easily cleaned. Don't know.
I haven't experienced yellowing myself. I do sometimes get a collection of scum when I put the boat on the lift. Tyically comes right off with a soft, wet brush.

Lake Horse. The gel coat is fairly thick. It can be wetsanded to bring it back to its original color and luster. However, it is very labor intensive. 81Nautique and TRBenj, Stang, and others have wetsanded with good results. You can do a search on "wet sand" and see the process, grits, etc. BKH
Livin' the Dream

2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 2:37pm
I wax the 88 every fall and sometimes in the middle of sking season. We ski on a river, so it is not the clearest water to run on. Keep the boat on a covered lift when not in use. I bought the boat new in 88 and now have over 1300 hrs on it and the hull looks like new except for some very slight fading of the white. Never had any yellowing issues at the water line, just wipe it down after use to remove scum.

I rubbed the airbrush black lettering highlites off of my old 78 Tique trying to keep it clean and waxed. Use to use polishing compound and it eventually removed most of the highlites. Now I only clean with white vinegar. That is great stuff.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 2:59pm
BKH, what do I do about the graphics though. They were painted on top of the gelcoat. Even when I get close with an Oribital it tends to wipe the lettering and colors out.

Lake Horse
76 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 3:09pm
With wetsanding, you shouldn't have much trouble because it is all done by hand. If polishing with the big wheel, I would tape off the graphics, leaving band about 2 inches from the graphics. Then you can remove the tape and finish the polish near the graphics by hand.

Some guys who really want the boat to look like new have made a tracing of the graphics, wetsanded the entire hull, removing the graphics, and then had them repainted. This is what 81Nautique did to his boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 5:09pm
I moor my boats for all of August and July. I wax before and after. Never saw any yellowing. The finish will fade fast with no wax.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 5:56pm
It might be the year of boat and the color of the gel-kote too. On mine I wax it but just don't get to close to the waterline. It's a pain to get clean and usually have to use acid to get it white again.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 6:01pm
Never any yellowing here either.. We wax at least twice, and try for three if we can during each year. I've boated in many bodies of water over 40 years and like it was said, all water will leave a scum line and film if the boat is left in the water.. The worst was Schafer Lake IN. Never any yellowing though..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:22pm
79, My son has the same problem with his Malibu that he just bought. After a days run, when he pulls it out of the water the water line will be discolored and does not easily wipe off? When he bought the boat it had a rought hard water scum all over the water surface that he cleaned off with harsh chemicals, i.e. snow bowl then waxed. I though that maybe the gelkote is now more porus causing this? Never thought that wax was causing this, guess we will give it a try this summer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:37pm
On mine, the boat has been in the water more than it has been on a trailer, well until this past year, and it would get a distinct mark from the water you could scrub on it all you wanted and you couldn't get it off unless you used muratic acid, then it would be brighter the the rest of the gel-kote. Talked about last year while at the sandbar with Stang's buddy Steve and he's the one that told me not to wax that area, So I cleaned it with the acid and haven't waxed below the waterline since and it doesn't yellow or discolor anymore. I thought that maybe it was just the wax I used, thought Maguires (sp) boat wax was pretty good stuff, what brand does everyone else use?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 8:29pm
I use Collinites. Liquid cleaner and paste wax. It is time consuming to put on, but it lasts really well. The cleaner does a good job of removing oxidized gel coat and all other stuff.

My 88 Skier came from NC. It had a redish stain below the waterline that I always though was from the water down there. They got red dirt, so I thought the water probably was red. I've never been able to get it all out. A guy on themalibucrew.com touts his recipe for removing all stains. It is 50/50 Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide. I have never had a stain bad enough to consider using it, but I heard plenty of people rave about the stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 10:24pm
I use Maguires with Carnuba wax, just like to say that word, Really good stuff, last long time. Always by the automitive not the marine "Flag Ship" too much money.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic