NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rankin covers group buy, round 2!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:00pm
Tim: If you do get someone to offer up as a templet please keep me in mind. I need a new cover pretty soon. Sun is hard on boats stored outside here.

Thanks for doing the "legwork" on this for us.

Thanks aslo for talking to ReidP about the "P's", can't wait to get mine! We are gonna have a blast tomorrow.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 1:13pm
JBear, I still havent heard from anyone in the northwest. The offer still stands- Rankin seemed very interested in making new templates for us, they just need the boats.

I have submitted another round of orders to Rankin. There is still time to get in on the current group buy- Rankin has still not set an end date. Send me an email if you need an order form.

Thanks to everyone for their interest!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 8:44am
Im bringing this thread back to life...

I spoke to Rankin and we will be closing the group buy at the end of this month (April). You must have your order form submitted to me by that time.

I have also received word that Rankin now has the template for the 80-81 Ski Nautiques. Pricing will be the same as all other boats under 21'.

Shoot me an email if youre interested: TRBenj@gmail.com
SEATTLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEATTLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 10:02am
I've been a fan of Rankin covers for the last seven years, and I've used them on my previous two boats.

This last summer I ordered a cover from Pat for my Super Air. I was told it would take three weeks for the cover to be made and shipped. It took five weeks, but I figured a quality cover was worth the wait. When the cover arrived I put in on the boat, and noticed right away the rear straps didn't match the back of my boat. I called Pat's shop and explained to his daughter my situation. She told me she'd leave a message with Pat to call me back. After a week, and no call, I called and them again, and again I was told Pat would call me back. After yet another week, I called again, and this time his daughter asked that I send pics of the issue. I sent pics and asked that Pat call me one more time. When I failed to receive a call this time, I called and caught Pat when he answered the phone. Pat told me how sorry he was, and that If I could bring my boat up north and meet him we could take care of this. We agreed to meet on Thursday of the next week. Well, Thursday arrives, and I've driven my boat to the agreed location, and no Pat. I call and Pat explains that he forgot about our appointment. Pat asks me If he can just stop by my house the following day on his way down to a job. Now by this time I'm no longer in any mood to be patient, but I figure if I want this to get taken care of I had better be civil. I take the day off of work at wait at my house for Pat to come by. When Pat arrives we put the cover on the boat and he tells me without installing tie down pegs on the transom of my boat it won't strap properly. While we are assessing this, I also notice the cinch mechanism on the left side is upside down and backwards. Pat agrees to send me a new cinch and transom pegs for the boat when he gets back to the shop. I wait a week and call back. Of course I get his daughter again, and the same line that she will leave him a message. To date I've called for times and have yet to receive the hardware from him.

Nine months and $800.00 later... No resolve.

In my opinion Rankin has completely blown any chances of ever getting my business again. Going forward when I hear someone is considering purchasing a cover from him I'm going to tell this story.

I'm going to call Pat again today and ask for the hardware. I've decided to start providing a daily log on here, Wakeworld, Wakeboarder, and Planet Nautique in an effort to get some sort of resolve.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 10:30am
Those little pegs you speak of were included with my cover. I had to ask Tim here what they were for. Tim called Rankin and was told some boats/owners need them and thus they include them. I would send them to you, but I may us the pegs to hold my swim platform material in place. If I do not, I will send to you, but I am so busy renovating a house that the boat gets very little attention now-a-days.
SEATTLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEATTLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 10:35am
David,

I appreciate your offer. If Pat doesn't send me the hardware, I may just take you up on it.

Thanks, Cliff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 10:50am
Wow, I have to say thats the first bad experience Ive heard about Rankin. Everyone Ive dealt with for the group buy (40+ people) has received very good service. Covers were received promptly and any errors/changes were handled quickly. Pat has always returned my phone calls, so this is very surprising to me.

From what Ive read and experienced myself, your case seems to be an exception. Shoot me an email and Ill be glad to help if I can, Ive never had a problem getting in touch with them: TRBenj@gmail.com

Good luck and hope you get it resolved!
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 8:13pm
TRBenj, they say their covers go back to 89. The BFN didn't change between 87-90, do you think they would have one for my 87 BFN?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 8:40pm
Jim, Im not sure if Rankin has the template for the Barefoot Nautique. I know they have the Ski Nautique back to '89, so its certainly worth a call to ask them. Their number is (425) 483-9266 if you want to contact them directly.

Remember though- even if they have the template for the '89 BFN, the windshield is different on the earlier years. The fit is very tailored, so theres no guarantee it will fit your '87 just right. Then again, it might be OK- just something to keep in mind.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 2:10pm
I might be in for the '62 Classic. I emailed the company and offered to make a CAD drawing that they could use to make their pattern. I am waiting for the owner to get back to me later today. If he and I can do it, any other Classic owners interested?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 2:16pm
Raindog, I wish you luck and hope it works out. I believe the Classic and the Barracuda share the same basic hull, deck and windshield dimensions (can anyone verify that?).

Pat may be somewhat reluctant to build a cover based on dimensions though- their templates are so precise that he usually requires having the boat in person.

Again, if anyone is in the PNW (Snohomish, WA) and has a boat that Rankin doesnt currently have a template for, I think they would be interested in making new patterns. They recently made one for the 80-81 Ski Nautique.
SEATTLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEATTLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 6:59pm
Another day gone by with no call back. I'm gonna keep posting every day until this is resolved.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 7:22pm
Seattle,

Did you talk/email Tim regarding his offer too help?
SEATTLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEATTLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 11:01pm
quinner,

Tim gave me number to reach Pat directly. I called it twice today and it just rang until a message stated there was no mail box set up. I got a hold of his daughter today around four, and she apologized (AGAIN) for not calling me today. She took my address down because they say they don't have it (STRANGE) and I've been assured that the hardware is going to be shipped first thing Monday.

I wish Rankin was as good at follow through as they are at promises, maybe I'd have a functional cover by now.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 2:44am
Seattle, like I mentioned before, feel free to shoot me an email with your info and Ill help in any way I can.

Ive been using this thread to keep everyone up to date on the group buy. I understand that you have a gripe, but youve said your piece so Id appreciate it if you didnt continue to use it as a platform to air out your dirty laundry.

Ive been dealing with Rankin on a consistent basis over the last 5 months, and youre the first person Ive encountered who has had a sour experience. Obviously there has been some degree of miscommunication- so if I can be of any help in getting your issue resolved, let me know.
SEATTLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEATTLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 10:05am
TRBenj,

Understood,

My judgement is a little clouded on this subject. I just realized hijacking your thread is isn't how I should be conveying this. I'll start another thread and leave this one alone.
SEATTLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEATTLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 4:56pm
As a follow up.

Pat came to my house personally this Tuesday. We discussed the issue, and he took the cover back to the shop. I recieved the cover back yesterday, put it on, and it fits like a glove.

Thanks to TRBenj, and of course Pat.
huffy420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffy420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 11:14pm
Is the group buy for the covers over?Would the 80,81 templet work for a 79.
Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:03am
Huffy, the group buy ended a week ago. It might be worth a call into Rankin and see if theyre willing to work with you on the price: (425) 483-9266

The hull on the '79 is the same as the '80-81, but the windshield is different. Not sure how well it would fit.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 11:19am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The hull on the '79 is the same as the '80-81, but the windshield is different. Not sure how well it would fit.

it's about a six inch differnce and doesn't match very well at all. the pleats are in the totally wrong place to fit snuggly.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 1:03pm
I was wondering about that exact thing, but for my '78...good to know

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
huffy420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffy420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:30pm
Thanks! I think I can make it another year, but I will need to buy one soon. Let me know if anyone has a good place to buy one for my 79'
Huffy
jhatem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 7:27pm
I have a 1997 196. I can't stop water from pooling in the corners about one foot in front of the aft seat. I've tried poles, etc. Does the Rankdin cover have this problem? How does it avoid this type of pooling.
'97 196
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 9:03pm
trbenj,
are you ever considering doing another group order?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 10:47pm
Actually, yes- theres currently one in the works. Stay tuned.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 6:00pm
Aemmer, Im sure there is a way to get a template made without having to go through the trouble of registering your trailer. Pat may be willing to come to you- it doesnt hurt to ask. If need be, perhaps you could borrow someone elses trailer (or plate ) for the longer drive?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 6:00pm
Last time I checked, they had the CC templates back to '89. Aemmer, call Rankin and talk to Pat- he's always looking to add more templates.
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 6:00pm
i have an 88 2001 and would like a rankin. I have yet to check into getting one so I had no idea that I coulnt because they didnt have a template.
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 6:00pm
Did Rankin ever get template for the 2001's. I live in their neighborhood (25 miles) and would be willing to license my trailer to get the 88 up there for measurements if you all have a need.
88 2001
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 6:00pm
TRB,
I would make the time if peers on this site have the need. I live 1 block from our community boat launch and haven't licensed my trailer in years. I would make the effort though if there is a need for the boat as a template up at Rankin.
T
88 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic