NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stainless Steel Manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 8:41am
if you use socket head cap screws instead of hex head screws it's a lot easier to install without clearance issues but then again you need a special socket with an allen wrench too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 9:40am
Boat Doc, I a$$ume youre including me in your SBF count. I do not want any paint or powder on them- Id prefer them bare. I plan to have them jet-hot coated once I get them.

Not sure if that changes the price or not.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 5:15pm
Boat doc will Allen back the fact that they will fit under the motor box with no mods to it on a BBC. I see they fit JR_VIC's Boat but I just want to be sure I wont have to make any changes when I get them.

JR_VIC did your motor actually idle slower once you put the hi-teks on? Why do you think one bank is running hotter then the other at idle? Is one getting less water then the other for some reason?

Does anyone think that the one bank running hotter then the other at idle could casue any problems down the road.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 8:03pm
if that side is lean then it would run hotter and down the road would cause problems. The hy-tek's aren't causing the problem that's for sure.
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 10:08pm
I thougt it may be the carb as well but I ran the boat the weekend before with the old manifolds and it was OK from what I recall. I remember checking the engine over as I had just changed the exhaust hoses out a few months before and I just don't remember there being any difference in temp. at that time. I did change the water pump/thermostat about the same time as the Hi-Teks so that may be the cause. I'll call DIM and talk to them.

Thanks!
"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 7:41am
sounds like a water flow problem, water takes its easiest path especially at idle, its possibly that there may be corrosion in the risers or some where else, fire the boat on the trailer and see if there is a difference at the exhaust in volume of water. if it was a carb or thermostat it would heat both sides and the problem disappears at wot, because now the water is under higher pressures and possibly is making its way through the restrticted area and allowing it to cool
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:45am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

there may be corrosion in the risers

Im not saying theres no corrosion, but I doubt there is any in the brand new one piece SS manifolds.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:07am
depends on the quality of the exhaust too. If there is a difference in the jackets that create the water cavity so that one side can hold a large amount of water vs. the otherside then one would be hotter than the other. I would think they se a jig so that they are the same but I have never seen there manifacturing process and if they are all done by hand then you will see a difference from one to another and could create this very problem. Double check the routing and hose sizes for something to create a restriction on the side that is getting hotter. 5-10 degrees I wouldn't get excited about but 20-30 difference side to side isn't right.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:21am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Boat Doc, I a$$ume youre including me in your SBF count. I do not want any paint or powder on them- Id prefer them bare. I plan to have them jet-hot coated once I get them.

Not sure if that changes the price or not.

Doc, not sure if you saw my post yesterday. I realize the order is far from finalized, but I wanted to mention it in case you speak with Allen again.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:27am
Some difference in mani temps is normal as far as I know. Looking at the Tstat housing it would appear that the easiest route for the water to flow is straight over to the port side manifold. It's probably just more noticeable with the stainless steel vs. the cast which will take longer to show swings in temp. Just a theory for conversation's sake.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 4:42pm
Boat Doc, I going to give you call again tonight wanted to check a couple other things with you. Most likely about 8:30ish my time.
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 9:46pm
I will do a search again here in the forum but it seems as though I either read it here, talked to Vince at DIM, or one of the tech guys at PCM in North Carolina told me that it was normal to have the starboard side manifolds on my 92 351W to be hotter than the port side but not sure by how much. As M3Fan mentioned, it could have been doing this before but because I was never really paying attention to the stock manifolds it went unoticed. This may sound strange but the stock OEM heavy cast iron manifolds are very thick as most of you know and you don't hear much exhaust sound around the manifold when it is running. I say this because in the past if I was tuning the carb with the engine running on the trailer and bent down leaning over the engine with my ear close to the stock OEM manifold you don't hear much exhaust sound. After I changed to the Hi-Tek headers and in the same situation of bent down and leaning over the header to adjust the carb while the engine was running on the trailer, I noticed you could hear an exhaust note at the header...not a ticking exhaust leak just an exhaust note. As I leaned my ear right up almost touching the header you can hear alot of exhaust sound unlike before. Don't get me wrong, it is nothing that is real loud and you would not notice with the engine cover closed because in that sitaution it sounds just like stock. My point is that if I leaned over to the header very close you can hear so much more exhaust sound than before leading me to beleive that the walls surrouding the headers appear to be very high quality yet much thinner than the stock, thick, cast iron manifolds. Make sense? If you lay your hand on the side if the headers you can almost slightly feel the exhaust pulses. Maybe because of this design you just can hear a little more and you also feel more tempature as well. One other note...the engine temp is perfect and running a touch cooler than before and when I ran my hand over the water spitting out the rear of the boat while idling on the trailer it does not seem any hotter than before. Also...most of this higher temp on the starboard side is behind the header at the rubber exhaust hose that connects it to the muffler and not so much on the header itself. Any more ideas?
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:34pm
Do these new manifolds have drain plugs on them for winterizing? Does the boat sound any different?
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 11:01pm
Yes they have drain plugs...one on each side. The boat in the water sounds just like it did before with the stock OEM manifolds...no difference in sound in my opinion.

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 12:49am
darn was hoping for an exhaust sound change, little more noise if possible.

Spoke with boat doc on the phone earlier tonight and as usually it great to speak with. Very willing to share personal experiences and just plain fun to talk to. Thanks for the call Doc. Just put the pics on here or email them to me jbragg67@comcast.net
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 9:32am
JR VIC, have you called Allen about this heat issue? He has been very receptive to any questions and issues I have had so far,I don't think there should be a difference in the two ,same water,same distance=same temp.......boat dr
Jim as far as the conversation was a pleasure here also. My keystrokes leave a lot to be desired, but i talk real well.There are a lot of neat people I have met here,and hope to add to my list,its cool to put a voice with a name..........billy
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 11:38pm
Boat dr...good talking with you the other day. Alan called me but I missed his call and have not had a chance to call him back but I will next week. When I get to work he is asleep and when I am leaving work he is waking up but I'll catch up with him.

Update...I spoke with Karen Dougherty (Vince's Wife) at DIM today about my header sitaution and the starboard side being hotter than the other. She first told me to contact Vince on Monday but she told me that about 6 months ago she and Vince were on a call with PCM about installing a PSS shaft seal on a Ski Nautique 351W in which you add a water line that bleeds off of the main water line that supplies water to the exhaust manifolds. PCM told them to only tap into the water line going to the exhaust manifolds on the Port side of the engine because there is more water supply on that side of the engine due to the way it is designed. PCM stated there is less water on the Starboard side already so if you tap into that water line going to the exhaust manifold you will make the starboard side even hotter. I found that to be very interesting. She told me to contact Vince next week as he may have more details but it sure sounds like what she said could be fact because that is what my engine is doing. It sure seems like I have heard this same thing before along time ago but I can't remember where I heard it. Talk to you soon.

Thanks!
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:07am
I am also using the PSS shaft seal. Here is a link below to the install instructions for the PSS shaft seal from elberts website and look on the first page at number 11. The instructions say tap into the Port side exhaust riser hose although they don't say why you shouold use the Port side and not the Starboard side.

http://www.elberts.com/pss.pdf

Thanks!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:13pm
87 ; a note from Allens BOSS               Billy,
We do not send our manifolds away to our customers NOT powder coated or
polished as we did that once as the customer wanted to polish them his
self and he showed his friends before he had them polished which Allen
had told him not to as Allen has to flapped disc the manifolds specially
to get the manifolds polished, so we now have this policy of either
powder coated or polished.
Hope this answers your question.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Carolyn:

Talked to Allen again tonite,he says the same,the port side seems to flow more than starboard,his fix,add a restriction to the port hose,on his boat he used a S/S "nut" to solve the problem,any thing to slow down or balance the two.......
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:00am
boat doc, so what are you going to do? Polish or coat? Will he place any warrenty on the coating, that it will stay on?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 8:40am
Doc, I guess Ill have to speak to Allen directly. If they dont offer jet-hot coating, then I definitely want them bare. Theres no sense in having them powdercoated since I would just be stripping it off (at an extra cost). No sense in polishing either, since the jet-hot will just cover it up.

Not sure if you guys are familiar with jet-hot or not. Its a metallic-ceramic coating commonly used on headers. Its good up to 1300 degrees, and shines like chrome.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 10:17am
TRB just spoke with Boat Doc less then half hour ago. He said Allen would rather lose a sale then send his product out unfinished. In order for him to let it leave the shop to a customer it must be polished or powder coated. He said he had a problem leting a set leave, the guy never had them finished or something and they look like hell, well that's what he told boat doc anyway. So maybe speaking will Allen about him jet-hotting them for you would help.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 10:32am
87, thats what I was afraid of. I just sent Allen/Carolyn an email, so hopefully we can work something out. I have a great local guy who does all sorts of coatings (powder, jet-hot, etc) that I would love to do the work, as his work is very good and is reasonably priced. I supposed if Hi-Tek can get them coated before sending them, that would be an acceptable solution.

Although I can understand their position, it doesnt make sense to incur the extra expense of PC, since it will only cost me extra to have it stripped.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 10:51am
they are worried that if they send their porduct out unfinished and you don't have it finished(which I am not say you would do this) then their product and name is on your boat someone askes where you got the manifolds and you tell them. That other guys says those things look like hell no way would I buy a set from those people. When all the problem was is the customer never had them finished like he said he was going to.

I talked with boat doc about this and we both see Allen's point of view on sending out an unfinished product. We know your going to have it finished but he has already run into the problem with a guy not getting them finished.

Someone tells you stick your hand in a snake cage he don't bite, you do it and you get bit. You have a hard time sticking your hand in that cage again no matter how much someone says it don't bite. Just my two cents on it. I was hoping to get them bare myself, but it's just not going to happen.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:03am
87, I understand their position. Hopefully Hi-tek will understand that I dont want them bare because Im being cheap. These manifolds are very expensive, and I want the best coating for them- Im not convinced powder is the way to go.

It seems silly to pay extra for the powder since it will only be removed when I get them. Ill get them bare either way!

Again, perhaps Hi-tek can get them Jet-hot coated for me at a reasonable price. That could be a good solution for everyone.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:13am
why not get the polished?   if they are made from a quality grade of Stainless steel they won't rust and always look good, now if he is using 303 then your screwed.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:32am
79, Ive got a call in to my coating guy, but I am hoping that the Jet-hot would cost about the same as powder would. The polished finish is a additional cost ($300) from Hi-Tek.

With the Jet-hot, I think I would be safer from heat discoloration, rust and corrosion than either the polished or powder finishes.

Im not sure what grade of stainless Hi-Tek uses. It does say on their website that manifolds are bead blasted to prevent rusting at the welds.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:39am
bead blasting is going to do sh*t to prevent rusting, just remove surface rust if there is any. These are not going to get hot enough to discolor and if they are made form a quality grade like 304 or 316 and pa$$ivated after they are made then it won't rust or corroid and would only require polishing once awhile to keep the shine.
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:57am
I pushed Alan to have them shipped uncoated as well and he would not do it. I could not cover the $300 for polished at the time so I went powdercoated. The first two-three inches of the header where it is not jacketed will just melt off but no big deal to me. You don't really notice them unless you bend over and look at it. I may take them off and try to polish just the header part and see if how it comes out. Hope that helps...

Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by JR_VIC JR_VIC wrote:

The first two-three inches of the header where it is not jacketed will just melt off

This is the area where I was concerned about discoloration on a bare (polished) manifold. I also dont think that jet-hot would burn off, unlike the powder.

Agreed, 79- not sure what grade of stainless Hi-Tek uses. Optimally, I would like to have the headers coated with jet hot for about the same price as Allen wants to sell the powder versions for. They should be more durable and slightly less expensive than the polished version.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic