NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arjay at work

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arjay at work
    Posted: February-11-2007 at 7:47am
Here is an example of what Arjay can be used for. As you may know I have been restoring an 81 Nautique for two years. Last weekend I formed out the rudder table with Formica and a hot glue gun. 11" square 3/4" thick and poured 3 qts Arjay with 35 cc MEK. 3 Qts filled it perfectly. It kicks nicely too. Then after sanding of the edges to a rounded 45 degree bevel I laid up one layer of mat and one layer of 1808. It is a dream to work with and pours like honey.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 7:51am
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 7:52am
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 8:01am
While I am at it I might as well show you the windshield pieces and a$$orted other parts primed with zinc chromate and ready for painting with Black Awlgrip.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 8:03am
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 8:06am
These pieces were shot with Awlgrip yesterday and I will let them sit for a couple of days for it has been cool here for the last few days.

Ski-di-up!
hasbeenskier
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 11:20am
why didn't you just powder coat them instead?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 12:48pm
It was an option I considered. I even have a customer that is in the business that powder coated the engine cradle and seat brackets for free. The painting however, I could do myself and chose to.
hasbeenskier
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 1:06pm
hasbeen,I have found that all the hype of the powder coat is very over rated,sorry bout that 79,works well in other places but not in the marine world.CZ 11/zinc chromate is nasty stuff,blah,blah, blah, but the half life is about 50yrs. if applied correctly,you did rite.
The Awlgrip a wise choice also,do it right ,and ya do it only once.....boat dr

P/coat has a perfect finish and looks great when it comes off in sheets,just what i have seen in real life on boat parts,,,,,,,
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 1:44pm
Doc, I had my windshield powdercoated and the finish came out great. Shouldnt the powder prove to be more durable than paint?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 3:28pm
TRB, my bitch about the p/coat is not the finish it is the adhesion of the p/coat to the base metal.
these are just the problems i see.
       boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 6:55pm
Boat Doc, I am pleased you approve. I second guess myself all the time. I prefer to chew cabbage once. I gel coated ther rudder table today and plan to rea$$emble the winshield tomorrow after work. I am monitoring Eric's work on 87BFN's boat and it makes me shutter cause I have an 81 BFN to do next. I gotta say though no wood for me I am sold on composite materials. bj
hasbeenskier
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 7:34pm
bj, approve of the composite vs wood in a lot of appications,stringers would be a hard sell for me.Attaching the motor mounts is going to be the key, but this can be overcome with a little thought,alm. fabricated bracket embedded in said stringer would be an idea,then drill and tap to fit motor mounts.
entertained the idea on the '64 about 1/2 way thru ,finished up the repair with 2x10 oak,soaked with West System,bedded the manicured and dressed timber followed by two layers of 10 oz. followed by the heavy rove,4 coats later the weave is barely visable.2 coats Awlgrip finished that project,Will be a long time till i attack another stringer job,be it mine or for a client.....................boat dr   
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 8:15pm
I have said it before and I think the best thing Correct craft ever did was construct the engine cradle beginning in 1980. It eliminated the lag bolting of motor mounts. Through bolts from side to side is the way to go. I did tap 3/8" aluminum stock for the bolts to grab on the outside of the stringers.
hasbeenskier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 8:19pm
hard composites have no give and are so hard that they will have a tendency to break, with wood it does have a grain and will bend and stress and not break.... there is a right place for wood and a right place for man made materials. the only other thing that i would use in place of wood for stringers is aluminum
"the things you own will start to own you"
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 10:13pm
Eric,

What does Correct Craft use in new construction for stringers?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 10:26pm
Threadjack; Lake check the "Wish you were ...." thread.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 7:33pm
I havnt ever seen anything but wood to this point, I dont think anyone has had a chance to tear into a new one yet, if thier using composites im sure there would be some type of re-bar. the down fall of wood is rot but it is strong because of the grain and once you gla$$ it in it's virtually un-destructable
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:12pm
Eric. Correct Craft abandoned fir sringers in 1993. For those of you that choose wood I say, "That is why they make Chocolate and Vanilla"
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:16pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:17pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:22pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:23pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:26pm
It should last a hundred years
hasbeenskier
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 10:37pm
HB..Looking good , what year is that boat?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 4:51am
Madd Man, It is an 81 I have been working on for two years. I brought out the foam stringer pics for the stringer discussion. I am getting close to completion on this boat. I remounted a freshly painted winshield last night. The custom deck is done. Starting to do the intrument cluster complete with new wire harness.The engine and Tranny are sitting on a pallet ready to drop back in. Still to do... Reinstall steering and Morse throttle a$$embly Build a new teak swim platform,build a replica C.C.#3 trailer and repaint graphics.....Okay close to completion is a relative statement...closer than I have been.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 5:24am
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 5:25am
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 5:26am
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 5:28am
hasbeenskier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic