NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stereo installs........

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 11:17am
I took a picture of the inside of the Kenwood head unit that I removed from my boat. This was not a marine unit. It was installed at the marina where my buddy bought the boat. He told me he paid $900.00 for this system in '93. The speakers were marine but the surrounds had fallen apart anyway from the exposure to the sun.

this was in a "protective case" in the dash. it did hold up for about 12 years...

Ryan, If you do go with non-marine amps, be sure that the chasis and hardware is not going to rust...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 12:05pm
Ryan ,When i install a system in a boat i ask only 2 questions,Do you want to do it right,Or do you want to go cheap?
The answer cannot be yes to both questions...
If you go cheap buy a head unit from Waay World,it will last atleast one year,Kinda like a Timex,use and dispose.
Buy the best your wallet can afford,head unit,and leave the amps till later,same for the sub ,buy one for a car and just figure you are renting,then when it smokes you ain't out anything....Don't Be Penny Wise And Dollar Foolish...........boat dr
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 6:09pm
randy boat dr.........yesi have roughly 500 for the equipment not counting a perko wires etc labor.........so i guess im doing it cheap, but i know it can be done.........space is a concern asi posted before...........would love to push 2 12" or 2-10" but on my 94 cb im limited on room.....so that said i think id like to go with one 12" in either a ported or sealed box.....i understand its not gonna be devastating ba$$ or the best quality, and only gonna last 4-5 years......thats moree than plenty!!!!!by then i will have a newer boat(hopefully!).....i already have 4 new polk db650 insides, two new marine batts, and a new marine kenwood headunit 45x4 amps........how important is marine amps?.........i see alot of people(most) running non-marine amps and subs...yes i have been doing a little homework and found out most people are spending more than id ever spend! 1500++ that being said heres my idea......
polk audio db series 12"-80.00...or
polk audio momo 12" sub-100.00
ported or sealed box 25.00-30.00
ma audio ma1889i amp mnoblock 800 watts rms-2 ohms 400 watts -4 ohms..100.00
.....and a 2 channel blaupunkt tha2125 amp to power my insides....total.......90.00..thatsonly roughly 320 bucks.......so i theres still money to upgrade 2 a four channel amp for my insides, and maybe even 2 marine amps.....i see they go for 120-160 in my case......im looking at a website called sonic electronix.........thank you guys for all the input.....
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 12:07am
Ryan,
Why don't you put the cd player and 4 polks in. Listen to it and see what you think. The only problem with not amping your highs is that when you are boating your not going to hear it.only when your just chillin. I can get you amps subs wires any thing you would like at cost ... I think u should build a box like the one i posted in the pic.no i did not build it .
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 2:08am
Boat Dr is right on the money. Do it right the first time. I wouldn't put anything together with th intention of it only lasting 4 or 5 years. I agree 100% with SkiPA. use what you have for now and you can always upgrade easily later. I'm using my head unit (52Wx4)to power the same Polk speakers you have. I am blown away by how these things sound! I was planning to add an amp to power them at a later date but honestly after reading all the input from SkiPA, Boat Dr and the rest I am somewhat concerned about how much more power would be needed. I want to still be able to run the stereo with the engine off for a reasonable amount of time. I don't want any more than two batteries on board. I need to have room to store stuff. The only thing I will change on my set up is replacing th P.O.S 8" powered Bazooka, but when I do I probably won't over do it and will look for something efficient. I would rather have a system with good tight ba$$ that sounds good and doesn't require 16 batteries. Maybe on a pontoon...

with all that said this is my opinion take it for what it's worth.

1. Buy Marine stuff for your boat. This stuff is engineered for the boat environment circuit board are coated, terminals are gold plated, chasis and baskets will not rust, etc. etc.

2. An off the shelf subwoofer enclosure will not hold up for more than one season and maybe not even that. These things are made from fiber board. I don't think they will hold up around the water. A plain plywood box would work better.

3. Do what you can with what you have. You can always add stuff on later. We can put it together with this in mind.

4. Take your time shopping. research this stuff and Listen to what other people with experience tell you. Froogle is a great tool for comparing prices once you know what you want.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 4:53pm
itts all great advice, but again i would never put more than what im willing to put itnto it now 500 for sub box 2 amps.........i think with going with what i described above will be fine......for 25 a box i can buy one a year...i guess what im trying to say is im gonna go against what you guys are telling me to do for the simple fact of money........i want good ba$$ for cheap.....i spendt less than 500 for my car and it was devastating.......you could hear it a mile down the road etc...regardless if i go with the above equipment are you still willing to help.......randy-i can get a marine sub and 2 amps for under 500 easily.....box, ill just keep buying one a year if they dont last..........thanks again guys
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:10pm
Ryan,

Sure, I will still help you. I would still urge you to choose at least a marine sub. The one with the "cellulose fiber" (paper) cone is not going to hold up for long IMO.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:19pm
All this talk of subs in wet places got me thinking about materials to build a sub box. Has anyone ever used that "plastic wood" stuff they use to make decking, park benches, picnic tables, etc.. You know the stuff made out of recycled plastic. I think this stuff would make a great sub box, you could use stainless steel screws to a$$emble it, and cover it with marine carpet. I know Home Depot sells the planks for decking but I have never seen sheets of it, but figure they must make them...

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:13pm
ok ok....im done looking ...ithink.......heres what i came up with.tell me what you think

12" polk db marine sub-75.00 shipped

box- 35.00

clarion 4 channel apx480 marine amp. 180.00
shipped..will power 4 polk db650 insides

bazooka maa1500 monoblock amp to power the polk sub-145.00 shipped...total $435.00...sound good???......everything match up pretty good?...thanks, ryan

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:30pm
Ryan, did you purchase this stuff yet? we can call my buddy for possibly better prices if you want, he DOES owe me a favor, let me know if you and randy want to install at my shop, last Saturday wouldve been great, I waited till 8:30 at night for a guy from Virginia that was suppose to be there at 9:00am. man was i pissed. he called me at 7:00 that morning and said he got a late start and would be there at 2:00 then called at 3:00 and said he would be there in 2 more hours and then at 4:30 he called me and said he was in Morgantown West Virginia and will be there in 2 hours in which Morgantown is 4 hours away....but he finally showed
"the things you own will start to own you"
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:37pm
SKI79PA,
That's a neat install you've done there.!

Did you use fibre gla$$ for the outer (hull side) wall.

What was the purpose for the spacers.?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:43pm
no i havent.........your shop sounds great(its coolddddddddd out)..wow yea that would piss me off.......the price just went up for that guy!!..i was ready to order and noticed a few things were on backorder until who knows when!....then randy,boat dr., skipa all decided it should be marine items..so im having my buddy look over the items in my last post.......
p.s. randy the sux box for 35 is mdf..what a deal ehh!! .....
eric- thats up to you, you might need that favor yourself!!....again im on a 500 budget-labor, beers, wires, etc!.........thanks again guys
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:47pm
to clean up my last post...thats 500 for the sub sub box and the 2 amps.....i undertsnad im going to have wires dist. block fuses labor perko switch etc on top of that!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 12:32am
Ryan, I think your making the right choice going with marine. it will protect your investment while adding value

I hope you haven't laid down the plastic yet, I shopped around and found some of the same stuff cheaper.

Check it out (click on links):

Bazooka ma1500 - $99.00 FREE SHIPPING!

Clarion APX 480M $139.00

thats a great deal on that deal on that Sub @ $79. but that should save you about $85 bucks.

Maybe with the $ you save you can build a box for that sub.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 12:45am
Ryan,

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard.

MDF+H2O=

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 1:06am
Dont use MDF it will fall apart in 2 weeks!!

Get some marine plywood and do it right!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 1:09am
I think we should take Eric up on his offer. I would like to meet him and maybe he can explain how to check my alignment. I'm still a little puzzled on that I will try to get a list of items we will need together tomorrow.

How far are is the Battery/Batteries away from the amps?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 1:13am
It sounds like MM may be speaking from experience Ryan.

$35x2=$70

Like the wise Boat Dr said "Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish" or something like that...

Do it right from the start and you will get a lot more enjoyment out of it in the long run
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 1:20am
I have three amps that im not using that I will sell cheap!!

Alpine 2/3/4-model# 3527 ,it kicks a$$
rockford punch 45.2 sub amp (made in USA)
Jenson 100w x 4

Yes my MDF box turned into a sponge and fell apart in about two weeks, you can resin coat it but will still have small holes in it..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 7:52am
Randy before hand, I'll find the section in my manual and post and take a picture of some feeler blades   eric
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 8:54am
Eric I figured out what the feeler gauge is. I'm just not sure where/how to use it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:22am
dont worry randy it is very simple
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:38am
Resin coated MDF will hold up fine. I made speaker brackets that sit out in the middle of the boat that get sprayed, splashed and rained on and are still rock hard. I imagine your sub box will be up under the dash away from direct water contact anyhow, should be fine.

What's with all the periods...................?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:51am
Hollywood,

Ryan is planning on using a pre-fab box made out of plain MDF. no resin coating.

Now if he took a pre-fab box and coated it with resin inside and out, it would probably be fine.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 4:48pm
hollywood......bad habit,really cant tell ya why, just me thinking too fast?? randy- sure i can always resin coat it later(before i drop the boat in the water). i think im gonna go with the setup that i described above...thanks for finding that bazooka amp cheaper.the clarion one you found is a refurb, not too keen on that. id rather pay the 30-40 extra for a brand new one. the battery on my 94 is in the floor, same as yours?. i was going to add a perko and the extra marine battery i have sittin in my basement(new)..randy whats wrong with your alignment? beent drive shaft, or steering alignment?........(hollywood) see i did it again!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 10:33pm
Ryan,

Yeah, I know it's a refurb, but for if it worked out of the box, still had a good warranty, and the shipping was the same or less, I would probably go for it. But I'm a cheap a$$. You can just take the $$ you saved and take
Eric and I out to dinner

The Battery in my Sport is under the back seat, I think yours is in the front. Where will this second battery go??

I did some math, and it looks like you will be pulling 118 Amps max. Dude, Thats ALOT of power! You may seriously want to look at your alternator, I have a feeling your going to need to replace that too... And you will probably eventually want two more Batteries, So you can listen for more than 10 minutes with the engine off!
You will want to get:
  • 1- 125A fuse to install at the Battery.
  • (2) 8 gauge wire to run from from battery to distribution blocks.
  • (2) distribution blocks one for power one for ground.
  • (2) Battery Terminalinals to clamp wires to Battery you could get by with one if you ground to the engine block.
  • Are you going to replace the existing speaker wire? I would... go with 12 or 14 gauge.

I am sure I will think of more.
    oh, we will need 4 gauge wire for the second battery and terminal connectors.

I a researching how to set up these Perko switches, a little confusing. some of the have wires that run back to the alternator, so you can switch it between 1,2,and all while under way. Maybe someone with experience with the Perko switch set up will chime in.

Thats all for now.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 11:15pm
Randy, i am not a electrical eng. nor have have i looked at the draw of all the components involved here,2 amps sub and the head unit, am i missing something? But that seems like a awful high draw for the stuff he listed, but maybe ?????
Perko#8503DP, this one has a feild wire to prevent damage to the alternator if you turn it off with the motor running.Don't see one that has any ref. to a distributer ,
Wire it as batt.#1 and Batt#2, Batt#2 powers the stereo,amps,etc. turn switch to ALL and it charges both Batts.When engine is stopped turn switch to Batt.#2 Blast till you drop or run out of beer. Turn switch to Batt.#1 start motor,flip to All and you charge up both batts,...............boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 11:35pm
Doh!

I meant to say alternator not distributer.

I am going to edit my post to clear this up..

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 11:52pm
Ok, all fixed, sorry that was probably confusing...

Ryan, BTW, Nothing wrong with my alignment,that I know of, just reading here that it should be checked periodically.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 12:07am
OK boat dr I have a couple questions:

1. Ryan's system could be pulling close to 120A when fully cranked. With two batteries to charge and this kind of draw, will his stock alternator be able to keep up or is he going to have to upgrade it?

2. Where would you mount the perko switch. I think in Ryans' boat the battery is in the front while in my boat it is in the back. Where do you think it would be best located in each boat??

3. Where exactly does this "field wire" attach to the alternator?

4. How many beers would Ryan be able to consume   while cranking his system, which is pulling close to 120A, with the engine off a$$uming Ryan can drink 1 beer every 10 minutes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
  Share Topic