NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need new gas shocks for observer seat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need new gas shocks for observer seat
    Posted: January-30-2007 at 6:56pm
I've got pressurized gas shocks that hold up my clam shell and the observer's seat. They're from Spring Lift Corp and are 17" extended and 10" compressed. Anyone know a good place to get these? I tried finding a place on the web, but didn't have much luck, though I admit I didn't look to closely.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 7:21pm
I know West Marine has a variety of them. Not sure the exact sizes and PSI. I plan to replace my archaic seat back lift system with gas shocks. What PSI are yours for the seat and motor box?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 9:04pm
Bill, I've never commented on all your updates on your project, but it's outstanding.

I'm not positive, but I think the psi is 60lbs.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 11:29pm
Here you go...

http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=74269&fcat=
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 10:42am
just go down to the local auto parts store and get them and save some cash.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 11:09am
Good call 79- Napa has quite a selection of gas shocks. I was able to get one for my glovebox that was actally better and stronger than the OEM replacement.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 2:00pm
Does anyone know for sure the psi on those things? Since I have a buddy who will get them for me at less than his cost, that's what I'm going to do...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 12:26pm
I replaced the observer seat on mine a couple years ago, got them at RexMarine. IIRC got the 50 lb. first and it wasnt enuff. Returned them and picked up the 80 lb. that did the trick. Prices at autoparts stores are a little better as is the selection. The clam shell uses a lighter shock than the seat.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 10:47am
Call it a lift strut to avoid the long, tedious dialog.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 10:21am
My 95snob had only one lift strut on the seat. When I replaced the lift struts (hatch,seat, and engine cover) I added another strut to the seat, like the later models. It really makes it work better. I recall doing some searching for the mounting brackets, and struts.Finally, as said previously, i got the struts from NAPA. SOme struts have the PSI listed on them, others do not.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:51pm
What I ended up with was Stabilus Lift o Mat. My original springs were 80# on the seat and 60# on the motor cover. I got them at an auto parts store my friend owns. I don't know the cost yet. The 60# will work fine on the seat, but apparently 80# is what is original.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 12:28pm
if it had an 80# then you should use an 80# or higher not a lower rated strut. It will just wear out twice as fast.

So if you cann't get 80# then get 90, 100, 110, it will last longer and perform much better
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 9:51pm
Ya, I'm going to go get two more at 80#. I'll put those on the seat and the 60# ones on the motor box. I'm pretty sure that's the original ratings.

Good seeing you on here 79. Are you down south or up in the Hoosier state? I hear it's cold up there right now.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 10:24pm
Judging from his post I bet 79 is up north. Chris you gonna make it back by next weekend?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 11:17am
John is Reid car pooling with you Saturday to MM's place? what's the game plan for the manifold swap?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic