NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A 351w (stroker?) from scratch...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 13>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 12:52pm
Well I am hoping that between the lighter transmission, lighter manifolds, and lighter stringers/floor I can almost cancel out the weight of the additional speakers, amplifier, tower and battery that is getting added this year, but I will still be gaining some weight, unfortunately for top speed concerns its all moving foward.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 3:35am
Well two days later and it doesnt look like progress but its all level and ready to go now.
\
Hopefully the last series of new toy pictures...

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 4:38pm
Carpet is on order, and I dropped a pile of parts off at the powder coater at lunch today, and that should be the last money I ever spend on this boat.... yeah right..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 5:05pm
Yeah right is right!   LOL

I've been studying your work and am duely impressed. It's funny, a few months ago I would not have known what I was looking at...kinda cool and can't wait to see your coosa results.

So maybe it's Christmas for both of us? You're wearing out UPS getting all of your new toys while I was loosing a fight with wrapping paper this am?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 8:15pm
damn you can tell there was some serious effort there, hellva job!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 8:32pm
Joe

Keep the pictures coming sets me up for the day.

Great work.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 8:38pm
Joe, looks great- keep up the good work. Love the fact that youre posting pics like that after midnight- been there, done that.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 12:21pm
Wow, do I feel lazy. I haven't even seen my boat in about 3 weeks.

Lookin' good Joe. Going to stick with the plywood doghouse?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 12:33pm
I do hope to get back to the original dog house but I will miss the large plywood platform in the middle of the boat, the big ass flat box has been quite useful. I don't know how much modification it may require to the orignal box to fit the slightly wider exhaust manifolds under the box, and I dont know exactly how high the motor will sit with the new transmission relative to the way it sat with the old transmission. I am hoping worst case I have to remove the vinyl cover cut up some of the fiberglass box and add some relief "humps" to the side of the box with new glass and then I can get enough stretch out of the vinyl to recover over them.

General update: I am taking off this afternoon to get a head start on a long weekend working on the boat, I think by monday I might get to test fit the engine.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 7:45pm
Sorry for the picture quality I am going to have to bring the good camera down to the shop, you will get the idea

This is my rear floor support, its 3/4 coosa bluewater 26 with alternating layers of ten ounce cloth, epoxy mat, ten ounce cloth, epoxy mat. Thats the lamination that still needs to be made over the top of the main stringers at that point so it was intended to be the same height as thereabouts, it came out absolutely rock solid.

The rest the last couple days has been spent making and glassing in these.

No foam under foot here, as you can see there are generous triangles in the supports to allow water to run out, each one is glassed in with three layers of tape. Plan is for the floor to be screwed/epoxyed down to these supports after I dry and level them. This was a lot of man hours at least twenty into making templates cutting out the 30 pieces of coosa, and cutting the over 450 pieces of tape to hold it into place, but it should be solid, no oilcanning of the floor or hull. Up front some foaming will be done in front of the stringers under the bow hopefully that will be in the right area to deaden noise and perhaps keep the boat from sinking too quick.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 2:54am
Another day in the shop, arrived this morning every thing was dry and the boat is not solid as a rock, no movement no matter where I put my weight. First task to was get out the level and mark the supports to be trimmed.

Then I leveled everything out rough cutting down first with the diamond wheel on a grinder then with a DA with 60 grit to get everything smooth and level. Since I made a lot of dust already I took the opportunity to hit the sides above the floor with the flap disk for 6 to 8 inches all around, as well as remove a bit of leftover bits around where I will hopefully be installing bulkheads up front in the next day or two.

The rest of the day I spent making templates for, cutting, shaping and putting two layers of cloth on the bottom on what will become the back floor sections. There is a lot of work and bits required to do the little access channels around the cradle with the coosa, I think it will work out ok but it was a pIA.

That was it for the day, only took 14 hours or so...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:06am
Hey Joe, bring a small scrap piece of that Coosa to GL will you? I'd like get a sense of what it's like. BKH
Livin' the Dream

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:09am
No problem it was already on my to do list, I have plenty of scrap.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 7:56am
Joe, I think you and Greg should start up a business for stringer replacement. There's plenty of rot out there! Now the only problem is if people would be willing to pay for all the man hours. Many have found that taking the boat to a "pro" costs are high. Then there's the other so called pros - I remember Lisa and her stringer problems. She had it done twice and I don't even think it was done correctly the second time. We never did hear the end results!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 9:25am
Forget Orange County Choppers think we should have Greg & Joe boat shop.

Joe it looks a little thin at the drain hole on the main stringers I am no expert and not worked with coosa, as I live in a 3rd world country could add some of your off cuts each side to add strength, I know you have the engine cradle but the speed your boat will do water gets hard, I found when you are well over 50mph and hit it
and that long trailer ride, just a thought you will know best.

Great stuff

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:32am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Forget Orange County Choppers think we should have Greg & Joe boat shop.

Joe it looks a little thin at the drain hole on the main stringers I am no expert and not worked with coosa, as I live in a 3rd world country could add some of your off cuts each side to add strength, I know you have the engine cradle but the speed your boat will do water gets hard, I found when you are well over 50mph and hit it
and that long trailer ride, just a thought you will know best.

Great stuff

Roger.

Its definitely the weak point on the stringer there, two things were done by the factory to make up for it and I will be doing them both and to a slightly greater extent. First that is the area that gets the most glass, the whole stringer has 7 layers on both sides 6 tape, and 1 epoxy mat, in the center area where the stringers are exposed it will get another 5 layers (3 cloth 2 mat) down over the top to make a hat section. Also integral do the design is how robust the secondary stringer is at that point in the hull, its 6 layers thick (factory had some foam in there but still was the area that the secondary stringer was strongest 4 boards). I cant tie into the secondary stringer directly farther down than I am as that channel is where the exhaust hose must run. However those two stringers are so close at that point with enough glass on the hull as a result of the buildup of the two stringers that I am sure the boat will not flex at that point.

The cradle isn't going to hurt but I am not expecting it to be the difference between acceptable or not, the boat should be rock solid without it.

It is however a shame that the drain is in that location, worst case scenario, but its also the low point for the muffler area and if you spring an exhaust leak a fast pass to the pump is a must.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:41am
Just a design note, the side supports while quite strong and stiff are by design and order of magnitude less so than the stringers. They, are thiner, not bedded, and use half the attachment layering, the theory is they should give a bit under an acute pressure (misaligned bunk, rock, ect) alowing the main stringer to load up before the side support itself cracked, gave way, or caused a stress crack series.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:44pm
Joe
Sounds like you have it under control I agree its not good at that point with SN stringers, think it may be thinner on your year than mine, as I have no cradle in the original set up,but will have in the new.

Food for thought,when I tested a stringer.
Out of the boat which are solid GRP 1'5/8 x 4'inches with epoxy/tape between the layers at that point and for some way each side, supported at each end of the stringer, it moved by 1/8 under 300lb at that point, which disappointed me I hoped for 500lb before it moved.I did the same to my old stringer as still good just black and now dried out moved 1/2 inch at 300lb. Also found 21 ounce epoxy bi axial 8inch tape to add more strength to the bonding in.
The way I see it all around that point we have loads coming all ways, up down side to side and back up from the prop if we can keep it from moving the less miss alignment under load and not robbed of hp, ok you have lots of hp + nos but I have only 270 hp at best so every hp counts, still when I rebuild hope you can keep pointing me the right way, I know its a Chevy but think of it as helping the 3rd world out.

Great work keep the post coming.

Roger.     

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 5:10am
Well I didnt make it to the shop till almost eight between staying late at my paying job and having to get in a workout because I skipped it Sunday. I started out by trimming the edges off the floor pieces I had put two layers of glass on the night before, then for the second night in a row I ended up having to make a hardware store run after nine. This time my dremel took a crap so I decided to go get a flex attachment for my zip saw as I needed to clean out the drains in the secondary stringers as I was never going to be able to access them again after I put down the floor. I also used the flex tool to help fit the smaller bits needed to allow access to the bolts on underside of the cradle for the engine mounts.

All I managed to get down tonight was the back two sections of the passenger side. I cut a layer of epoxy mat to sit on all the mating faces, saturated it with epoxy the put the floor down on top and secured with a lot of stainless screws, you do need to use care to draw down the screws only enough to recess the head and pull the boards together or you will strip out the coosa, I probably stripped two of the 60 or so I put in.

Still two left to go tomorrow but it was one thirty so that was it for the night.

spent a lot of time making marks so I could then make lines where all the supports would be for drilling

Here is the joint between the two boards.

this is what is Underneath the joint

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 10:05am
I like seeing the square...it shows in your work! You'll truely have a 'forever' boat when you finish. It's too bad that I can't make GL so we could compare notes.

Don't forget to take a nap every now and then.   
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 11:19am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I like seeing the square...it shows in your work! You'll truely have a 'forever' boat when you finish. It's too bad that I can't make GL so we could compare notes.

Don't forget to take a nap every now and then.   

No naps forecoming, however once I get to work I do at least get to sit down for a while.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 3:27am
Well another day another couple sections of floor...

The fiberglass fairy came whilst I was at work so I no longer have to work my schedule around conserving fiberglass which is good ..

The rest of the night I spent cutting cardboard templates, then cutting and fitting more supports and bulk heads for the front

Then I cut out all the pieces of tape that will be needed to fiberglass in the supports and bulkheads and kitted them together....

And that was it for the night cause I couldnt bend or stand anymore. Tomorrow I lay down some serious resin and cloth, hopefully get the front supports and bulkheads in place and get some layers on the exposed parts of the rear stringers. Summer is here I wanna go skiing...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 4:40am
Well battery was dead in the camera tonight, but I got the rest of my floor supports installed and the two major bulkheads, as well as trimmed and sanded the floor. Still change my mind about twice a day on what to do with the front area but I think I almost have a plan......
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 1:02pm
It was starting too look to easy to get this done on time, so to increase the level of difficulty I am going out of town till sunday afternoon....
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 1:30pm
Joe-
Between you and Greg, I have to say I wish I had the skill to pull off a job like you guys have. Actually, I wish I had the time, space, money, OR skill to do what you guys have done.

I have no doubt that you will get it done in time. Just from reading your posts, I can tell you are the kind of guy that will work 24 hours/day right up to the point you have to leave for GL, just to get it done, if need be.

Love the pictures. Keep them coming.

Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It was starting too look to easy to get this done on time, so to increase the level of difficulty I am going out of town till sunday afternoon....

You're a sick puppy...I do like your sense of humor though! And you know Eric and Pete tried to talk to me about this illness.

It's probably none of my business, but what could pull you away from your boat at this point?
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:30pm
Its just a long planned weekend in Old Forge NY with friends, I am pushing for a return on Sunday early enough to get in a good 8 hour shift of work though.

I am having a good time with the project, it is certainly my first (and probably last in a long time) opportunity to have this kind of budget and workspace (Even though I trashed it). However I still haven't been skiing this year and was hoping to get in a few runs before GL so I would be in shape to pick up a few tips on the boarding and slalom. Hopefully dropping 45lbs in the last three months will partially make up for my lack of water time so far this year, but I kinda doubt it. But by the New England Reunion hopefully me and the boat will be hitting our stride.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

It's probably none of my business, but what could pull you away from your boat at this point?

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Its just a long planned weekend in Old Forge NY with friends...BLAH,BLAH,BLAH ... 8 hour shift of work though.

I'd bet it was the same thing that distracted him before.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 2:11pm
Not that kind of a weekend, more of a play whiffle ball home run derby in the side yard, find a bridge to jump off of kinda weekend. Good time for the guys, there were a couple wives and about to be wives around but only because they were duty bound...

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:28pm
You doing all right Joe?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic