NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer brakes
    Posted: January-28-2007 at 2:32pm
Ok folks, we'll be wet pretty soon here in NY and we now own a vehicle that I can tow with. As you know, I have this 1980 American Skier including the original trailer. NY requires brakes on this trailer. What are my options, if any, of retrofitting the OEM trailer with brakes?
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 4:42pm
I have no idea...but you might call Quality Trailer Products (QTP) in New Holland PA 800-497-0986.

I had Ram-Lyn send me product literature on their trailer. They included a brochure from Quality Axle Division of QTP. Website is www.qtrailer.com

They also sent a few pages on the brake actuator. I have a Titan Aero-6000 Actuator for trailer brakes. 800-872-2327
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 5:53pm
I have wanted to install brakes on my 87 SN trailer for some time. Cost has been holding me back. Can purchase backing plates with drum brakes from most boating outlets. The axles on my trailer already have the bracket needed to connect the plates. Need to buy some drums to fit. The actuator is easily installed at the tongue, replacing the standard hitch. Then, plum brake lines to the wheels. Looking at $500 or more.
But it can be done and isn't too hard.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 8:02am
I added hydraulic surge brakes to my '87 CC trailer, and just as SkiBum indicates, it was all of $500 (more like $600) to do it right.

Go to DexterAxle.com. They have a great resource section. I ended up putting Dexter brakes on mine, and I've been very happy with them.

I'll be happy to answer any question you may have.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 9:32am
I'd suggest a local fabrication shop that rebuilds trailers and such for parts. When my local guy doesn't have what I need I order from Champion Trailer Supply. (http://www.championtrailers.com/)

They have complete hydraulic drum kits that start around $250 and go up.

Good source, and helpful info. Good luck. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 9:51am
The key to all of the above is whether or not your current trailer axle has the mounting plate for the brake a$$emblies. If not, you are looking at replacing the axle as well.

If you go the drum brake route, I strongly suggest you install the "free backing" type.
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 5:13pm
Guys, saw this Atwood coupler on ebay: Item #300080597192

Not sure of capacity, but it might go pretty cheap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic