NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinion on this Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinion on this Boat
    Posted: January-27-2007 at 8:30am
Hey guys. I took the family to the boat show yesterday. Met some nice guys from Chessie's Marine in Elkton, Md. They only had one CC with them (SV 211), but we still had a great time. I went online to try to show Mrs. JMurph the Orange color that they have. I accidentally ran across this boat. It looks like an awesome deal. We are probably a year or two from getting a newer boat, but man this looks like a great deal with the 8.1 liter Python. 425HP!

2003 SANTE 425HP

Thanks for your opinions in advance. If someone else is interested in this boat, knock yourself out. I probably won't pull the trigger. Specifically.....WATERDOG or ATMSPLTR, that way I might still get a ride once in awhile.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:01am
I really like the full color hull in bright colors, Vapor Blue, Orange and Yellow all look great.

That is a very cool boat with ton's of HP, what the hell Murph, you only live once, write the check.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:08am
I like your style quinner. That tends to be my style as well. The 3 month old in the other room begs to differ (as does his mom). We'll see. If anyone else is interested, I'll be in that area in the next couple of weeks and would gladly take a look at it and start a delivery chain if applicable.

-JMurph
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 11:06am
jmurph, Oviously a nice boat. 2003 is the most coveted year for the SANTEs.

My two cents is that the python is overkill. I have a 2001 SAN wich I bought new. It has the 310HP GT 40. I have never fealt the boat is underpowered. If I were going to put 4000lbs of ballast in it, I might feel differently, but I'll never add that much wieght. BKH
Livin' the Dream

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 11:38am
the best year of a newly extinct hull with the biggest engine upgrade.....scoop it up.

If you keep it long enough, it could be like a SN 2001 with a 454......everbody wants one.
Life is Good.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 11:38am
bkh....I appreciate the opinion. I don't think I have a need for 4k of ballast. I've got three little kids, two of which I plan on getting on skis this summer (5 and 2 1/2). I think my perfect boat is actually a 206, 211 or 216. The crossovers should work well for us, because we plan on pulling everything from a hydroslide to slalom skis to wakeboards. The particuliar boat just happens to be the color scheme I love and it looks like a great deal.

Why are the 2003's so coveted?

I will add that my '79 SN with 220hp (stock) seems like plenty of pull for us, but I seem to fall into the more is better metality some times. I honestly think we should wait a year or two until we jump into something new. My wife and I are weekenders, so when we get to the lake we (I) don't want to be worried with getting the boat to run. It is a 1979 and can be a bit testy sometimes. I wish I had some of the mechanical skills of the likes of eric, boat dr, 79, and many others on the site, then I wouldn't worry about it.

-JMurph
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 12:08pm
I'm sure there are more reasons, but amongst the reasons the 2003 SANTE is coveted:

1) Cla$$ic SuperSport/SAN Hull
2) Cla$$ic FCT tower (in 04 they used the
   rounded tower as on the 211.
3) Enlarged trunk space/flat transom/wedge tanks for ballast.
4) Belly ballast
5) They dropped the floor a bit in the 03 so there is more freeboard. Edit. Not really more freeboard, but the boat feels deeper inside.
6) I believe it was the first year of Faria guages (ICBW). The earlier digital guages are notorious for failing.
7) I believe the 03 has the large swim platform.
8) colored hulls

Jeff, the moderator on Planetnautique.com is in Virginia and also has an 03 for sale.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 12:13pm
I've seen Jeff's online. I met the guys that sold him his 236 (on the way) at the Baltimore boat show. His boat is really nice looking. We actually pa$$ Lake Anna (VA) to get to Lake Gaston (NC). His boat is a couple of thousand more than the orange one, although he has the second color scheme choice for us, but the orange one has the extra hp. I would have a hard time pa$$ing up on the extra hp if it were one or the other. I guess I would have to ride in both to give it a true test.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 12:14pm
BKH; OF COURSE the python is overkill in that boat, but isn't the python overkill in anyboat they've put it in? Though i've never been one to say that anything has "too much power" so maybe overkill's the wrong word for it, more like... perfect! hahaha

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 12:30pm
Jim if I had the cash I would be all over that machine, love the color and the motor, no mods needed ever. well other than looks a little chrome never slows you down.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 7:28pm
JMurph
She's somthin', 41.5 is to Big of a hole in the water for me thou. I'm in the middle of a boat deal now. Won't know anything for a week or so. If this deal comes to be, you'll know it when you see it! Are you thinking of going to Lake Norman for the N.C - Mid Atlantic Reunion ,I'd like to make it if possible.
(Mamorial Day Weekend ?)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

JMurph
   Are you thinking of going to Lake Norman for the N.C - Mid Atlantic Reunion ,I'd like to make it if possible.
(Memorial Day Weekend ?)

I will definitely make it to a Lake Norman Reunion. Let's make it happen. If Reidp does host, then it will be a "don't miss" reunion. He has some great old CC's (quite a few of them), and is generally a great host.

On the other hand, I look forward to meeting you down in Pea Hill Creek this year. Where are you located? We're in Timberline Shores. Good luck with deal you've got working. I don't think you'll see that SANTE in our boathouse, at least not this summer.

-JMurph
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

It looks like an awesome deal.

Uhhhhh..........$41K.......I musta missed something. I quess I had no idea how much these boats were goin' for. Man do I love my '80

JMurph I thought you were somewhere way out on the ReidP family tree. Didn't anything rub off on you?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:36pm
Just went thru this post again and guess I musta missed something else. WHAT LAKE NORMAN REUNION? If it is at Reid's then it must be a don't miss event. As we will not be able to make it all the way to Green Lake, Lake Norman is a great alternative.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:46pm
jbear...Reidp has definitely rubbed off, just not on me. (sorry Reidp, seemed like a no-brainer though)

Keep in mind that we're running a '79 right now. Not much different from you '80 in the basic platform. I don't think I'm really going to end up with that boat. The more I read about the 210, the more I realize that it is a serious wakeboard boat. We're more recreational. We don't really want a boat that is so strictly designed around wakeboarding. That being said, this boat is about six or seven thousand less than comparable boats (ie. Python 425hp). Even boats with the 330hp motor are more expensive than this particuliar boat. You're right though, 41k is alot of dough.

Happy belated BD. Mine was on the 8th (me and Elvis).
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:52pm
I love the looks of your '79, but of course I am biased. But I realize that with a family the space would be nice. But in the "old" days we all had the smaller boats and did just fine. Guess we didn't know any better.

ReidP has rubbed off on alot of guys around here.

Thanks for the b-day props. Same back to ya, belated. Why did I think the Kings B-day was in August or September? Whatever, no one will EVER match Elvis.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:55pm
The King pa$$ed away on August 16th, ironically my dad's birthday.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:58pm
Ok I knew there was an August connection. Thanks.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:01pm
BTW, we definitely "make do" with the '79. In fact, I love it. The only thing is that I am not that inclined when it comes to tweaking the engine. My wife and I are weekenders, so the boat will sit for a month or so at a time. We had a whole week last year when we had guests down and I couldn't get the darn thing to run. I had the carb rebuilt and she ran no problem. My dad is a great mechanic. Unfortunately, that meant he kept everything running and my brother and I didn't have the need to pickup any of that great knowledge of his.

I look forward to meeting you if we are able to pull off a "Mid-Atlantic" reunion.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:11pm
My son was the mechanic in our family. Where he picked it up, I'll never know. I realized when he went off to the Navy that I didn't know how to do any of the stuff he did. I can change the oil and the impeller, thats about it. That is why I was so pleased that MM called to offer his help on my manifold. Plus I get to meet Blondie in person. And Reid is gonna stop by as he will be in FLA for the Daytona that weekend.

I can't wait for the "Mid-Atlantic".

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

My dad is a great mechanic. Unfortunately, that meant he kept everything running and my brother and I didn't have the need to pickup any of that great knowledge of his..

I hear you Murph. My dad was a phenomenal mechanic. I can do major motor work, but I haven't a clue about rebuilding carbs, fine tuning the timing, etc. My Dad's whole goal in life was that I go to college. He was scared to death that I might become a mechanic- as was he, and my grandfather. Therefore, he'd typically, say "get out of my way" and finish the job. In retrospect he was right, but I still wish I had his knowledge of engines. BKH
Livin' the Dream

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 11:42pm
Brian,

We had it the same way. My dad and his dad were both great mechanics. My dad still is, his has pa$$ed. He just wanted us to have fun and get on with it. I was the first to go to college, which he paid for. I plan on doing the same for my three, although hopefully they will take an interest in stuff like rebuilding an engine. I need to figure some of that out before they are old enough to start teaching them. My goal is to get an old engine and tear it apart. Then put it back together, just to see what everything looks like. I'm not brave enough to start with my own boat. Maybe a project boat.

-John
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 12:17am
Jmurph and BKH, our dads must have hung out together without us knowing. All the postings I do on this site might make it sound too much like I'm a good wrencher, but I'm a much better researcher, tester, historian, and sponge of information. I've managed to closely surround myself with some good mechanics and like Brian, I leave most of the heavy work to the real guys. But I like to pa$$ them the tools.   

John Murphy, that orange boat is SO hot even Laurie would like it (MrsReidP). I promise I'll never tease you about anything or ever beat you again in basketball if you buy it.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 1:04am
Reid,

You shouldn't have let the secret out. Here I thought you were a mechanical genius.

Murph, I'm still debating on whether I pay for the kid's college. I guess I'll know in 18 years. I paid for all 8 years myself. It was tough, but I didn't have to answer to anyone's expectations except my own. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 7:01am
When I was a kid at the hobby shop (where I spent to much time) you could get a " visable V8", a clear plastic model of the s/b chevy I think there still available by special order
or over the net.Cool toy for a little boy. My Dad use to say you don't have to be a mechanic to speak the language, but it will help keep a honest mechanic honest and that will save you thousands of dollars over your life time!
The other day a friend said of his 1 year old the collage money was a loan, upon graduation it's a gift;very profound.   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 7:10am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I promise I'll never tease you about anything or ever beat you again in basketball if you buy it.   

Once you wakeup from your dreaming about the basketball, you can start the teasing again. I doubt that we'll end up with that boat. First, I don't think the wake will be flexible enough for us. Second, I'm not ready to drop 41.5k on a boat right now, so start getting the American Skier ready and I'll have a backup.

Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

The other day a friend said of his 1 year old the college money was a loan, upon graduation it's a gift;very profound.   

Not a bad way to go. My parents paid for about six years for my brother. He never graduated. I watched that and graduated in three and a half. I guess I felt a bigger responsibility. He doesn't seem to have any shame, but I couldn't live with myself if that were me.

BKH......I'm trying to convince my wife that Abbey would make a fine plumber. Maybe Aspen can join her and you won't have to make the college descision. (Kidding, of course)
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 8:10pm
JMurph
   We went to Lake Gaston for the day,raked & burnt leaves all day.Our Lake Shack is in Whipperwill Hills off River Road a little more than a mile from Washburns. We live 130 miles south,south-east outside of Aurora NC(Newburn area)in hurricane alley. Black Beard was from just down the road (Bath,NC)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 8:26pm
Waterdog-

That's right up the road from us. You're pretty close to the Nautique dealer. I've had pretty good luck there. Any experiences with them that I should know about? It sounds like you do most of your own work.

We call Maryland home. Right outside of Annapolis. Therefore, we can't just pop down for the day. Most of our neighbors at the lake are from either Richmond or Raleigh. That would be nice, but work holds us where we are. Go figure.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:38pm
JMurph should buy the boat and play Reid in another round of ball to see who REALLY is the best.

I like the comment about the 2001s with the 454. Isn't there a chance that this 2003 will be sought after like those are? The bigger engines are never "necessary," but always wanted...that is, unless gas goes to $5 a gallon.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:42pm
Waterdog, I grew up in and most of my family still lives up the river in Washington. You're not a NC Phosphate guy are you?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic