Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Integrity

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Duck Soup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck Soup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer Integrity
    Posted: January-27-2007 at 2:01am
How do you know when your stringers are going bad? I am starting to question the integrity of mine. They seem pretty solid but I have noticed that the hull and topsides seem to be weakening (vibrating) when under acceleration or chop. The motor has a lot of torque but I still think something's not right.
Any thoughts ???
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 2:58am
See if you can spin the motor mount bolts that are attached to the stringers.... soft spots in the floor ?
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:01am
You'll know when there bad, the best place to look is near the motor mounts, do what todicas said, where you dont see wood use a ball peen hammer and tap, If you have bad spots you'll here it with the multi purpose hammer
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 3:10pm
A good indication is when there are mushrooms growing on the stringers!! I've seen it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:20pm
Unexplained vibration is a very good indication that not only the stringers are bad but also they are either separating from the hull or the floor is separating from the hull as well. If there are bolts attached to wood that you can turn but not tighten then the wood in that area is rotten. If you notice cracks where the stringers attach to the hull the stringers are likely wet in that area. You can test by banging the handle of large screwdriver against the stringer. If it seems soft then poke an ice pick in that area. If the pick goes through then there may be rotten wood. Of course there is always when you can actually see the rotten wood and/or mushrooms.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 5:06pm
when you can see through parts of the stringers you know they are bad. Hoping Eric will post some pics of how bad the BFN is when he gets the floor torn out. I am curious to see how far the rot went.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 5:24pm
I stumbled across this while trying to find out what type of mystery boat Hollywood posted on another thread. Hope it helps........

1. Does the floor sink in when you stand on it. It can be very solid in one area and mushy in another.

2. Open engine cover and try to tighten the main lag boats that go in the stringers. If they don't tighten or spin freely,you could have a problem.

3.   Pop up the floor behind the engine cover, it is one piece of plywood that covers the drive shaft. There you can examine the stringers as they run to the back. They should be fibergla$$ed, but sometimes the fibergla$$es has chipped off and you can see the raw stringers.

4. Also you can run the boat over a scale and then compare with the weight published in the ski nautique manual. Water in the foam and stringers will add quite a bit of weight to the boat.

5. Get to a stringer and use a hydrometer to measure the level of humidity in the wood.

If they are rotten, they can be replaced, but realize that it takes a lot of time. However, once you do get them replace you will have a very solid boat for a long time.

The places that rot the first are behind the drivers seat and in front of the observers seat.

Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 6:20pm
I know that to be true, that is where the BFN was rotted, except it was behind the driver's seat and at the back of the motor box, not in front of the observer's seat. When I lifted the sheet of plywood behind the motor box I didn't like what I saw.
Duck Soup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck Soup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 7:50pm
Many thanks to all who posted on this thread. After reading all your comments I think mine are in pretty good shape. The boat is a 1967 Wildcat, not quite the same construction as the nautique's but similar. I did spin a couple of the bolts when I replaced the engine/gear a few years ago but I poked around with a pick and found solid material. I recall putting 5200 in the holes. I will be pulling the floor soon to replace the exhaust hoses so I was thinking of doing the stringers at the same time. Thanks again.

Dale
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 9:25pm
Dale,

Is the boat down here on the Cape or up north where you run it? If it's down here, post or email me when you tear into it. I'd like to see it. Maybe I can help too if you need an extra set of hands some time. Let me know.

Larry
Duck Soup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck Soup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 10:34pm
Larry

This boat lives up North and I'm lucky enough to have a garage to keep it in. When I dig into it I will bring it south. I appreciate the offer. Are you doing the Boston Show? And have you checked out the NE reunion thread? I'm about to post on it.

Dale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic