NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lead substitute

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lead substitute
    Posted: January-26-2007 at 8:32am
I just spotted in another thread someone mentioning lead substitutes and it's got me going on one of my pet peaves! Most of you don't remember that in the old days the marine gas was "white" gas. White gas is straight run gas with no additives (no lead) that the marine engines ran fine on. It's my opinion that the lead substitute is a oil industry scam to sell a small over priced bottle of liquid! If the top end of your engine needs rebuilding I would say that it's most likely hours of run time and not the lack of lead in the gas. Yes there are some earlier engines that were built without basic things like hardened guides and seats but those wouldn't have lasted on leaded gas ether. If you do have one of them, don't though your money out on the little bottle, do a top end job instead and install the hardened guides and seats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 8:58am
8122pbrainard

Engine in the 77 Tique still runs fine and does not use any oil. Have been using as a precaution.
Also have a 1967 restored Ford Mustang which has the same situation
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 9:04am
I will have to disagree with you on this subject,the "lead" did a couple of jobs. The primary being its Anti-Knock ability,ie higher compression,more HP. The second was that the "lead" cushioned the valve, and seat leading to longer life of the valve train.
The newer style heads have Stellite or some type of harder valve seats,and a harder ,different metal, that does not promote "valve tuliping" of the exhaust valve.
The new style GT-40 heads have these improvements.If you are running an older motor,1960's that was to recomended to be run on "leaded fuel" the lead additive is cheap insurance against valve trouble.
And by the way the "White Gas" was recommended for the 2 stroke motors,Mercury insisted it be used in their 1960 thru 1970 outboad motors,the "lead" was not needed and was very "dirty" plugging exhaust ports manifolds...........boat dr   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 12:52pm
Dr. Thanks for the input. When I mentioned the old days I was refering to the days of the flat heads. Many a marina had white gas only. I also recommended that when a top end rebuild is needed that it be done with all the good stuff you mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 3:39pm
All theory aside here gentlemen- real world use- My 1951 Ford F-1 pu with a flat head V8 ran like sh*t without lead substitute.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 3:56pm
I've tried to make myself add it as often as I can on several older engines. But these spent many years with other owner prior to the dawn of the unleaded days, so no telling if I'm too late or peeing in the wind.   

Remember the neat way a properly tuned vintage leaded auto engine would leave the tailpipes white when you were on it heavy?   You reckon our boats will do that with the lead additive? Someone check.

I'm also a firm believer in an occasion dose of Techron or SeaFoam in the tank.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 4:42pm
reid,
i don't think we will get the same results,white pipes ,as the additive is not really tetraethyllead.
The motors run so clean now that this is really a waste of money on a 4 stroke motor,look at a spark plug after 75000 miles now, compare that to a plug in the days of good premium fuel.Spark plug life was about 10,000 miles and gunked up from the "lead"
Barracuda,the "lead additive" should not have any bearing on engine performance,just on valve life.But then again the stuff we pay 2.50 gal.is not the same ,gasoline as in the 60 and 70's is history.Today the industry call it "REFORMULATED FUEL" and God only knows what that means............boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic