NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Input

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Input
    Posted: January-25-2007 at 11:27pm
Heres the ?

1.you have a good as you can make it bottom end
maybe short runs to 8500-7000

2 400 chevy decent heads cammed 2500/6500,msd
single 650 torker

3.18 18 ft flat bottom v drine

4.10% overdrive it v-drive

What rpm would ya aim for?

Thanks Munday

And it won't have to pull skiers more of a vintage PWC   
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 1:21am
6K all day long
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 7:55am
its a 400 or a 350? 400,s are externally balanced,   roller cam?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 10:06am
yep 400 have all balance,right balancer correct starter ring,no tranny fire in gear.

Thanks for input 79,bout what I thought too.
Has nicson manifolds and thru transom bells do ya think the torker will be ok or should I look for performer?

Munday
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 8:24pm
Munday
At WOT & over 6000 rpm I'd say you need a single plane intake & a 750 /850 carb. but part throttle suffers. s/b chevys will turn over 10,000 in full race clothes.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 11:24pm
Munday,
If you're talking rpm in terms of max mph, then it's trial and error, but I'd bet 79's pretty close. But there's some phenomenon related to turning a prop that doesn't align with turning a set of tires. Many of the cams and set-ups we see for marine use would be good for many more rpms while rolling thru the gears in a car, but top speed in the boat with the same specs is obtained at a lower rpm than what you're shifting the car at. Basically saying that with a .490" lift/220 dur cam in a car you'd be shifting it at 6K+ no problem, but that same spec might see top speed in a marine appl'n at 5K. So whatever prop makes the most speed.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 8:37am
Thats the kinda input I was lookin for,I'm wondering about the extra stroke on the 400,and where that will move peak mph since peak torque is a bit lower than say a 350 or 351 and also can you spin a bra$$ prop safely
to those kind of rpm's.In the mid 80's I had a
little sanger flattie which wouldn't pull the only gears i had for the old v drive,they were 18% over drive it just bogged along with a little dinky 12x12 2 blade prop that came with.

So one day I get an idea,I flip the gears over in the v drive,now I got rpm's and Start playing with the a$$ortment of props I've gathered over the years and I end up about the same as early CC with a 13x14 super cup could have used a bit more pitch but didn't have the bucks back then.It would run almost to 65 mph(Nordskog speedo) into a light wind chop at 6800 rpm this thru a velvet drive so had to be some loss I think there.(how much ya think Eric)

Well amyway this new toy has numbers running around in my head probably will till it warms up enuf to play with thanks Riedp,79 ,Eric,Dog for the input.

Dreamin of summer with snow on the ground

Munday

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 12:03pm
I've got a acme 470 on mine and turn 5-5.5k with a 1:1 tranny, with basicly the cam spec's reid is talking about and stock D8OE heads, with the 400 you might need a little more pitch. If you don't have the valve train and right size valves then the higher rpm's are not going to get you much if anything at all that's why I'm bolting on new heads with reworked exhaust ports and larger valves to take advantage of the 4000-5500 rpm range that most can't use.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 8:21pm
79, good motavater,got my best heads off my 64
pickup today replaced them with some stockers I had.Early 202 fuelie heads,ported both sides,
Triple springs,pinned studs.I'm gonna match them to an extra set of nicson manifolds I have.Good point on the heads.Think I'll try to design for 6,500 and try to prop it between 6 and 6.5.

Thanks Munday
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic