NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alum heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alum heads
    Posted: January-25-2007 at 7:04pm
Ok in the performer intake thread there is talk about alum heads. I thought it was brought up before and the general feeling was they were bad stick with cast iron. There was mention of the heads and the block being different metals and how the heads would react being around all the water. So which is, are they a good or bad bolt on. They are more efficient but will that make up for the problems some believe they would cause. I am asking because I had mentioned alum heads before, for the 454 and I was talked out of it.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 8:19pm
I have been wondering the same for for my stock 302 for which I still have to add lead. Would like to get away from that.

What brand head are you considering? A friend of mine who builds race cars here in Indy said maybe Edelbrock although he did not know about in a boat.

Are you doing to change intake as well?
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 8:56pm
it's not a good idea because of the heat range and thermal expansion, not because of dis-simular metals. Boat motors run cooler than car motors and with the different rates of expansion it's not good using AL heads on a cast iron block. If you had an AL block in your boat then it would be fine.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:00pm
79nautique

How about the GT40 heads at SKIDIM for the 302.

Along with what intake?
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:05pm
those are not aluminum they are cast iron, read a little closer next time.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:12pm
79nautique

I know they are cast iron. I was wondering about their use on the 302 block.

Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:28pm
79..Dont you have a set of Edelbrock heads for your boat? If its not a good idea, why are you doing it?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:39pm
Madd
there is no reason , i repeat no reason that the alm. heads will not work. 79 , the thermal expasion is not an issue. Once again you are talking out of your hat. Show me where that is written or there is reason for alarm and i will retract the hat remark.
the reason there is not a set on my 331 stroker is because of " runner size "" 180 to 220 cc are the common size, much too large for good low rpm flow.
If i was turnig the motor 6500 rpm and wanted the hp that goes with the Alm. heads they would be waste of money...
But if i ever find a set of Alm. heads with the small runners,130 to 150 cc, the stroker will get A HEAD JOB..................
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:40pm
If you opt for closed water cooling, I'm certain it solves the corrosion and temp, but then you cover up that pretty engine with ugly plumbing.

Alternatively, I've wondered if zinc anodes in the right places, checked and changed frequently, could stem the dissimilar metal corrosion, but its a pretty expensive experiment.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:44pm
Boat dr, see I am still thinking up trying to push the old 454 to 425 HP or above. So I am trying to find a set of sqare port alum heads for it. But like I said motor mods are next years budget, this years is already spent with having stringer work done. Also anyone ever try to convert a 454 to fuel injection. Not sure I would want to try, but was wondering if any of you guys here have come across one?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:45pm
behl,
those heads will really wake up your motor, but you need to finish the job you start. That will include A GOOD INTAKE ,A GOOD CAM,UPGRADE IGNITION SYSTEM.
This will give you the best bang for your Buck............ boat dr     
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:45pm
ok better yet does anyone currently have alum heads on their boat?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:54pm
Its the corrosion factor that im thinking about, did you ever look inside a used Alum intake, it dont take long for the corrorsion to start!
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:57pm
boat dr

What do you suggest for intake and cam. I already have taken out the points
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:59pm
Behl, GT-40s on a 302 could be a beautiful thing, with the same fitment as for a 351. However, if replacing a good set of 351 heads which were used on most 4V 302s from 71-76 or so, you won't see a huge difference, as those were the larger valve/small chamber heads. The heads used after that date, or basically heads with the small 5/8" plugs, have smaller valves and larger low compression chambers and were used on both 302s and 351s from about 77 on up. Check to see which you have. Those are the engines that really love the GT-40s as you get the nice boost in both compression and flow.   But if you're in need of a rebuild I'd go for them along with a flat top or dome piston and you will certainly feel the power. And there are tons of good intakes for it as well, and cheap, basically the same model names as for the 351s, i.e., Performer, Performer RPM, Weiand, etc., just get the 289-302 version. I'm currently running the Edelbrock RPM version and it's great.

Oops, I started typying, stepped away and more questions were asked before I could post. Doc, I've got a cam for Behl that will work soooo well with that 302, along with those heads, along with that intake, and so on. I've got it in 3 boats and you can get it from NAPA if you want. Clevite sells it and Jim-in-Houston (where is he?) has one as well. You can query the Clevite cam spec sheet that someone posted way back when and find it.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:02pm
reidp

I have a stock 1977 302
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:15pm
Steve, I just updated my post slightly to inquire as to which size plugs you have as well as a cam note.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

it's not a good idea because of the heat range and thermal expansion, not because of dis-simular metals. Boat motors run cooler than car motors and with the different rates of expansion it's not good using AL heads on a cast iron block. If you had an AL block in your boat then it would be fine.

If thats the case, why is it OK to run an aluminum intake manifold on an iron block, but not aluminum heads?

There are many Donzis and other performance boats that run aluminum heads- Im sure that many use raw water cooling (some may even operate in salt water).

Ive been told by a head manufacturer (AFR) that aluminum heads would be just fine on a raw water cooled motor. Granted, they are in the business of selling heads- but I doubt they would recommend a setup that would likely cause damage.

I traded emails with JR_VIC today and he is considering some aluminum Ford heads. Ford Racing told him they would be fine for his application, but stressed the importance of high quality head gaskets.

I have read of a few ski boats that have aluminum heads and have run for years without problems.

I would like to do this upgrade at some point, as most high performance heads are aluminum. Although there are some risks (and heads certainly arent cheap), there are many people who have run this set up successfully. I am not an expert on the subject, but have looked into it a bit and am just sharing what I have read. YMMV.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:24pm
I would say the only issue with aluminum and cast iron would be a problem with head gaskets not sticking very well.
Tim D
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:27pm
reidp

I do not know at this time. I did not pay that close of attendtion last fall. The boat is now in storage and I can not get to it.

Will cary this on in March when boat comes out of storage.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:34pm
I guess we are at a cross road here, some say yes to alum heads others say no. Not seeing the difference between a closed system full of anti-freeze and an open system running lake water. The alum heads will have corrosion no matter what in the coolant pa$$ages. So unless I am missing something how is corrosion a factor here. The valves are sealed from water by the valve cover gasket, and the valves are not aluminum, then why so worried about corrosion?
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:34pm
reidp

P.S. I do know the heads do not have the bars on the ends. I f that tell anything.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:38pm
Tim D, cars run cast iron blocks with aluminum heads all the time no head gasket issue there. So again the question is how is so differnt from the set up on a car. I am very open to other ideas on why it wont work or why it will work. But I am leaning more towards it will work.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:43pm
I know, I have 4 cars with aluminum heads and iron blocks, what I meant was an issue of the gasket sticking at low temps, or a quick cool down, like cranking the boat after it sits after running and builds heat above normal temp.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:45pm
ok see your point there, just thought you ment in general.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:47pm
I will have to ask a friend of mine who builds engines for a living. His cousin circuit drag races and he builds all his motors for him. Talking high HP with no babies bottle.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:47pm
The guy pulling the engine from the CC Mustang between the trees in the BKH Redneck Engine Hoist thread, has been running Edelbrock Perf RPM alum heads, not on his Mustang, but on his Checkmate Chevy for some 6-7 years now with no problem. He has alum Kodiak exhaust manifolds as well. I've had the Barr alum exhausts on my Mustang since 98, and they still look great. But wait a minute, this site has a handfull of Interceptor, Holman Moody, and Commander alum exhausts that have been out there for up to 40-plus years, bolted to iron heads, but I guess they don't get as hot as the heads.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Not seeing the difference between a closed system full of anti-freeze and an open system running lake water.

87, in the case of RWC vs. closed cooling, the debate centers on the varying rate of thermal expansion of the different metals. In a RWC motor, cold lake water is constantly being introduced to a hot motor. A closed system wont see such extremes.

As far as corrosion goes, aluminum will certainly be more susceptible to damage- but ReidP makes some great points. Lots of aluminum intake and exhaust manifolds (and heads) are out there that have lasted a long time. I know that AFR offers an option to have all coolant pa$$ages as well as all outer surfaces of the head anodized. Not sure if other head manufacturers offer this.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 11:11pm
reid.. have you ever used a "doug herbert" cam, I know they are made in NC..

ps..do you have any extra tickets for the 500??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

79..Dont you have a set of Edelbrock heads for your boat? If its not a good idea, why are you doing it?

I don't have edlebrock heads I have DOOE heads that have been reworked with larger valves. I have NOS edlebrock aluminum exhaust manifolds both are waiting to be bolted on.

Most AL heads have 170cc runners for the ford applicationsm there are others with larger runners as well, the GT-40's have 178cc runners.

there is no concern about corrosion, it's called electrolosis , spelling might not be right, but that is why you use annodes, you throw a hunk of aluminum attached to iron in water it creates a current that eats away at the aluminum, very common issue with outdrives, not so much with inboards.

Can you bolt on AL heads to your iron block sure no problem, but over time you will have premature head gasket failure. When you start torquing bolts down to high valvues like you must for the heads the expansion rates come into play, doesn't effect the intake because there is very little load on the bolts, unlike the head bolts. It's not an issue on cars because of the higher engine temperture allows the head bolts to grow more and stablize. On a boat engine they don't but the head still does, so it creates more stress on the head gasket and bolts as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic