NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Redneck motor hoist

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Redneck motor hoist
    Posted: January-25-2007 at 12:33am
Pulled the motor/tranny out of the 82 last weekend. Here's a pic of my redneck motor hoist. BTW, a 4 x 6 is not sufficient. Cracked the board when it was about a 2 feet from the floor. Didn't drop it, but put a pretty good ding in one of the valve covers where the cables caught it. Next time I'll use a 4X8. BKH

Livin' the Dream

todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 12:58am
Nice save ! Hopefully that's not oil spilled on your driveway
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 6:25am
Now that the easy part is done let the real fun begin.... my friends call me Dusty! I Knight you Sandy! We are all from the Grinder family.
bj
B.T.W. Have I said I am jealous?
hasbeenskier
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 7:39am
Brian,

Very creative, that give hope for a simpleton like me when my inevitable time comes. Is the 4x suspended/supported between a garage door frame?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 7:42am
I think i can see boat docs house accross the street
"the things you own will start to own you"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 8:03am
[QUOTE=bkhallpa$$]   Here's a pic of my redneck motor hoist.   BKH
                                   [/QUOTE}

Brian, Thats one sentence I never thought Id hear from you ... .. why are yopu pulling the engine?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 8:48am
Brian,

"Geter Done"

have fun!!

Are you gonna go back stock?

paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:28am
No oil in the driveway Todicus, just water.

Chuck, That particular garage door is 10 ft wide, and 10ft high. I tacked a 2X8, 8 ft long to each side of the garage door frame as the support, and then tacked the 4x6 header on top of the 2X8s. The 4x6 header would have been sufficient except for the 10 foot span. Next time I'll use a full header piece.

Two come-alongs, and a piece of chain and voila. Whole thing took about 30 minutes.

Steve, had to pull the motor because the stringers and floor are shot. I have the same project as Ski Bum has been undertaking since Christmas. Yes BJ, a very dusty mess.

Paul, won't be stock, as I will not be replicating the orignal carpet or upholstery. Haven't decided how far to veer from there.

Eric, here in CA, I believe redneck has been defined as anyone who will choose beer over wine BKH
Livin' the Dream

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:16am
Naw, I've been to CA and they define redneck as anyone who orders a burger instead of the veggie plate.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:23am
Way to go Brian,I'd suggest nailing 1/2 plywood to both sides of the 4x8 when you go back in you never can tell about wood grain.

I too am jealous, I've wanted another 79 since 82 when I thought I needed a power slot MC.

Best of luck to ya

Munday
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:28am
Bk, were you playing music with the Voila?
just wondering what that is
"the things you own will start to own you"
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 1:10pm
You got it goin on BK,     I see you got your redneck motor cradle too. I still like to use that old oak tree limb growin over the driveway.
RootRacing
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 1:59pm
haha That's not redneck!! Redneck would be pulling your motor with a pulley hanging from the tree in front of your trailer...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 3:20pm
From the book Common Errors in English Usage:

"A viola is a flower or a musical instrument. The expression which means “behold!” is voila. It comes from a French expression literally meaning “look there!” In French it is spelled with a grave accent over the A, as voilà, but when it was adopted into English, it lost its accent. Such barbarous misspellings as “vwala” are even worse, caused by the reluctance of English speakers to believe that OI can represent the sound “wah,” as it usually does in French."

If I had a tree, I would have used it. The only tree on the property is a palm. BKH
Livin' the Dream

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 6:54pm
BKH , What do your neighbors think ?

They are probably standing in the front window sipping their wine and saying , THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD .

Good luck with the project.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 6:55pm
The guy in the photo is my neighbor, I was taking the picture at the time. BKH
Livin' the Dream

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 6:58pm
BK I admire your guys will to take on such a project. I just don't have the time and my wife is not that understanding about things like that. It's cold in MIchiagn, telling my wife to park outside. I might as well go sleep in the dog house with my two shepards. Company would be more freindly anyway.

Don't get me wrong wife is great, but parking outside, she's not giving up here garage space for the boat. That's why I am dropping it off to Eric in the morning. Hopefully he takes lots of pics for us to see.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 7:31pm
87, secret is three car garage. My pickup is what goes outside. Now, I do have to move and/or wash her car when the dust starts flying. BKH

P.S. Is "admire" another way of saying "you're out of your mind?" The guy to admire is skibum. He took on this project and it is his only boat. I've got another boat sitting on the lift, so it doesn't matter when or if I ever finish.
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 8:50pm
brian just move the 2x6's in closer next time instead of being at the ends maybe even get a 8' 4x4 to put under the 4x6 and you should be good to go when instal time comes around.

I was kicking around re-doing the floors in the 81 before we made it into a bar and was going to make it pretty custom. Mainly a small pedistool for the rear seat and observer's seat to create storage and then some other compartments in the floor for a cooler and more storage.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:36pm
79 nice bar, how fast does it go? Really though that looks cool, the rope in the eye really adds to the look.

BK no I didn't mean you were out of your mind when I said admire. I just wish I had the time to do these kinds of repairs myself. It's touch and go everyday, home this day, then for the next two weeks I am only home long enough to sleep and pay bills. But it's all worth it come summer time. Yeah 3 car garage would be nice, but a$$ociation will not allow me to add on. I asked.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:37pm
79 what did you do with the rest of the boat? For got to ask, will your garbage man take half a boat. Mine will not take anything over 45 pounds.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 9:43pm
Chris, very cool bar.

You are correct, the span is the issue. However, with the width of the trailer, didn't have much spare room. We were fooled. Lifting the motor up, no problem. Wasn't until we had it half way down that it cracked. In hindsight, we should have propped a couple more 8 footers under the header once we had the boat pulled out. BKH
Livin' the Dream

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:30pm
Nateski, Is this what you were referring to? I resemble that remark. I was the photographer here and it wasn't my boat, but most importantly, it WAS in my yard. I just had to take the picture for the same purpose and headline Brian posted.   

ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:37pm
I think using trees is more redneck.
Tim D
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:40pm
Congrats Brian, you got it out and you convinced your neighbor to get on the stepladder to lower to engine.

79; Love the bar. Is it in your garage?

Reid; You may be pullin' on a chain betwwen trees but anyone can see that beautiful lake in the background.

Brian again; Never would I imagine BKH and the term "redneck" in the same sentence.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

79; Love the bar. Is it in your garage

It's at my friend Beth's barn along with the other half, might make another out of it as well. Haven't decided what to do with it yet.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:55pm
79, love the bar idea. Probably one of a kind! Makes me want to buy a junker just for that kind of thing!

Brian. That is truly awesom. You inspire me. Knowing your knowledge is much more than mine in many, many areas, but you've admitted you're not a huge mechanic...and now you're doing this! It's really cool.

I wish I'd taked pics now, but I've used a tree to pull a motor out of a boat before. Front yard, none the less. Needless to say, I got it down and the chain out of the tree as fast as possible. I was looking around the whole time saying, "I hope the neighbors aren't watching."
The guy helping me was just laughing and hoping all of them would see.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:58pm
Dude: You are knockin'out the posts. See all you've missed by being gone?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 1:17pm
Brian,
Looks like fun! Have fun redoing the boat. I wish I could have done that before I sold the 81 that Chris now has cut in half. But it does look pretty cool as a bar. I know I did consume a few beers in that hull...

Here is that 81 when it was still in one piece...
Scott
Our 94 SN
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by SMay81SN SMay81SN wrote:

Brian, I wish I could have done that before I sold the 81 that Chris now has cut in half. But it does look pretty cool as a bar.

Wait, what did you say??? What's cut in half?

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic