Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Choice

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lucenut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop Choice
    Posted: January-15-2007 at 1:05pm
So I had an original 1984 13x13RH 3 blade prop that had seen better days. It was missing a good sized chunk and had other dings... It was only delivering about 38mph at 4K rpms. I was hoping to get a new prop that would get me a solid 42-43 mph. I stumbled upon a Ambush 13x16 4 blade on eBay for $100 so I got it.

Took it out for a test yesterday and it only got me to 32K rpms. I don't have a good speedo and didn't have my buddy's boat there to clock it for me. But it felt like somewhere around 38-40mph.

I think I'm right that it's a little too much pitch right? I have heard about re-pitching props. Has anyone had any experience with that or have any opinions on my situation? If I could get this one re-pitched for under $100 I would be happiest. I didn't want to spend $400 for a prop. What would I do with this one? Would it be best to repitch it to a 4 blade 13x13? Or 13x14? I've never gone from 3 blade to 4 so I don't understand the dynamic. Will going from a beat-up 13x13 3 blade to 13x13 4 blade gain me the top-end performance I want, or do I need some more pitch?

Thanks,
Greg
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 1:18pm
Sell it and get the right prop.

and 4-blades do not produce best speed.

You don't have to spend $400 to get a decent prop.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 1:26pm
Call Bill Weeks @ Acme Prop. I don't have his # handy ,but U can google acme prop. He's the Man!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

lucenut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 1:31pm
What IS the Right prop?

Greg
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 1:35pm
ACME 540
lucenut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 1:37pm
I looked at Acme Propellers at acepropeller.com and they were $340-380. So I wasn't far off saying $400.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 1:44pm
At either Delta Propellor or Discount Inboard Marine, the 540 is closer to $300 with the discount for this site.
lucenut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 1:47pm
Alright. I guess I'm being too cheap here. (I've been accused of that.) I guess no one here like re-pitching a prop? I guess I should just get a new one.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 2:41pm
The ACME 540 is what the smart guy at Delta recommends. They cost $325.00 with no shipping charge and a discount from this site. You will be amazed at the increase in overall performance you get from running the correct prop. Rebuilding or repitching can be done from most shops but it can run upwards of $150 and you still don't get the same performance. There was a guy selling his engine, tranny, driveshaft and ACME 540 prop in the boat parts for sale. If he still has it maybe he will sell just the prop. Check Ski it again and Ebay for other used props. If you want the most out of your boat, get the 540.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
lucenut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 2:47pm
I wasn't able top find the "540" online. What diameter/pith is it?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 2:50pm
From Delta Props

Part #:540 Acme (CNC Propellers), Dia: 13
Pitch: 12 Blades: 3 Shaft: 1 Rotation: RH
Price: $325.00 Qty: Select:   

CCFan Review

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 4:10pm
Also consider the 542 if your a wakeboarder.
Life is Good.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 5:00pm
Not to rain on anyones parade about their selection of props,but,propellers are the same as tires on the water. What one boat performs best with is not the fit all do all for every aplication.
I have heard so much rave over the Acme 540 & the 542 that some on this site may seem to beleive that it can give you an xtra 3 mph and pull 6 Gs out the hole.
Each boat and motor combo is unique into itself,what works on my boat/motor combo may not be the recipe for boat X.
After using acme,OJ,Michigan I found the 4 blade Austral beat all others hands down,I loved it so much i bought a spare cupped and tweeked the same,but it took three trips to General Propeller to fine tune to my boat/motor combo.
They charge 75.00 to repitch 1 to 2 in. no extra for a min. cupping. I have done business w/them for years as i have Eric Johnson/OJ Propellers, they build a fantastic prop. ,its just too fragile to run in Louisiana waters.
My point being there is no magic bullet that will fill every propeller application thats the reason there are more than one brand and type of tire to fit anyone auto,or truck.............. boatdr   
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 8:32pm
Icenut, the Acme web site is not up to date with the new model numbers. The 540 or 542 is what they recomend for the older CC boats.
Work to live, not live to work.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 9:47pm
lucenut, I'm all for the re-pitching when you can. But with a 13x16 you'd need to drop more than the 2" in pitch which is typically the limit. And don't ask me why, as I'm not a 4 blade guy with our small older boats, my local shop wouldn't even re-pitch a 4-blade period. That 13x16 you have was meant for a reduction gear trans, and just grabs too much water for a 1:1, so maybe you can re-sell it and come up with a 540 or similar.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 10:17pm
Reid is correct about yhe 2" max on most propbut for 75.00 it's worth a try. butt you need a good tach and a GPS plus weighjt of the boat . This alone will get them in the correct pitch and cup to give you the wot your boat/motor requires for optimum performance........

Do a search General Propeller, talk to Paul, tell him you are a client of The Boat Doctor, you will get dealer rates.............

boat dr
83SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 6:18pm
I have an 83 2001 and just put a 540 Acme on her. Had a 13x13 OJ. The thing takes off like a rocket now. I did not gain but maybe 1 mph on the top end but with dropping 1 degree in pitch I did not expect to gain any. The prop did exactly what they said it would do. Thought I would give results on a boat that has the same hull and a$$uming it has a 351w.
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 7:55pm
....I went from an OJ 4 blade to the Acme 540 and have never looked back. Delta is the place to get it too.
Heath
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 7:02pm
I run a 14x14 on the bfn, well that's what came on it. But I didn't see anything in that size at delta. Any suggestions, anyone here with a bfn running a acme?

Eric pointed out to me that my prop is a little bent, must have happned last time out, didn't drive much that day, little to loaded, and having to much fun.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

I run a 14x14 on the bfn, well that's what came on it. But I didn't see anything in that size at delta. Any suggestions, anyone here with a bfn running a acme?

Eric pointed out to me that my prop is a little bent, must have happned last time out, didn't drive much that day, little to loaded, and having to much fun.

Call Acme and speak to Bill Weeks. He'll know the right answer. He may or may not recommend the 470 (12.5x15 3-blade). Although it was really designed for the 1.23:1 boats, I know '79 is running one on his modified 351w 1:1.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic