Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dash

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash
    Posted: January-10-2007 at 10:12am
What do you guys recomend to use to cut into the dask to install a cup holder or stereo? I might not do it but was wondering what tools some have used.Will a jig saw do it?Thanks.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 10:52am
You can get a hole saw bit from about anywhere. Makes a nice neat hole and they come in sizes up to about 4" I think in 1/8" increments. The bigger ones (3" or bigger) can get a little pricey (maybe $30 or more), but they make such a neat job when done.For the stereo, I used a smaller hole saw and put a hole in each corner of the stereo mounting template and then cut out the template with a jig saw going from hole to hole. I then finished it off with a dremel tool to smooth the edges and everything turned out very nice. The only thing you might have to be careful of is if you're drilling into the gelcoat. You'll want to find the finest cut hole saw bit you can and maybe run it backwards just to get the get through the gelcoat or it can chip out. Generally cup holders have a plastic insert that would cover up any small chips that might be on the edge of the hole in the gelcoat.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 11:07am
Roto-zip or dremel tool with a router bit to cut odd shaped holes. Be careful - high rpm.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 8:17pm
a partner saw
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 8:49pm
You can use a hole saw with a large enough bit. That means a very good circular cut on the first try. Drilling a hole then using a jig saw works too. The cut will be rougher. Cut inside the line. Then follow with a drill powered drum sander to smooth it out. Just keep in mind the hole saw will cost a bit of cash.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 11:47pm
dans; maybe i have reached a state of mind in this late term of my life so just here me out...............Why would anyone CUT A HOLE in the dash of a Correct craft??????????? Master crapp YES ,MOOMBA,YES.SUPRA,YES. There is a law about that ,i think. Holes are forever.
In the rebuilding of my 64 am. skier there was not one hole or noticable mod made from the interior. Sterio and amp with speakers all mounted aft on a custom bulkhead,with wired remote.
All i am saying is give it some serios thought before you cut anything.....................boat dr
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 12:23am
I hear you.The dash is the neatest thing about my CC.My cd is under the dask bolted to the 2x4 that supports the dash.It's really hard to adjust while driving.I think I am gonna just leave it there.I might install a cup holder on the side by the windshield if I get the guts.Your boat looks great!Thanks,Dan
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 10:07am
Dans if it is a cup holder you need then have you looked at the type that have the big suction on them. I have two in my boat and I bought them at west marine for about 5 bucks. No holes drilled and they work great. I mount mine when using just inside the windshield on the gunnel. Just remember tto wet that dude a little before you use it or it won't hold.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 12:38am
Dr;

You are 100% right. I have an early 65 Ford Mustang coupe (build sheet and vin decodes to April 9th, 260, generator). The first question I am asked: "Is the dash hacked?", as many people pulled out the nearest tool to make the lateset and greatest car stereo of the day fit.

Mullets, Members Only jackets and 8-tracks are no longer the end all-be all. The value, to me and many, is in the unmolested original, at least for the outward appearance - what is under the hood (or doghouse) is another matter.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 6:58am
boat dr, Thanks for speaking up. I was about to make the same comment about ruining boats by going non-original and cutting holes and then was called away. The worst case of hacking I remember is the owners kids of a antique Dodge Watercar installing a sterio with speakers. They cut holes in the mahogany dash and interior mahogany trim boards. They even needed a step-up transformer for the 6 to 12V!! Yes it was the kids who did it but the idiot father thought it was cool too!!

dans, don't do it. Take the advice of the abouve posts with the 2X4 and suction cups.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 8:49am
69;Jimmy Buffett said it very well,"It's A Permanent Reminder Of A temporary Feeling"
I too have done lottsa mods to Knot Correct, but very little can be seen on the exterior.I kinda like that ,don't fool with the her looks,makes my brain work harder to hide the mods i want, stereo,speakers,440 watt amp, all of these hidden, but very loud. Kinda like that 331 stroker,with straights at 4000 rpm's.
Make her the best you can............boat dr   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 9:22am
Dan, Ill go ahead and disagree with these guys. Normally I am a fan of keeping things original, but I dont see the harm in adding a cupholder. Your '82 is a pretty modern boat- it wouldnt look out of place, especially if you can tuck it up towards the windshield.

My boat had a miniature cupholder for the driver when I got it- not sure if it was original or not. I used a jigsaw to enlarge the hole. I would use a hole saw if you are starting from scratch- just start at low speed so you dont chip the gel too bad. Maybe turn the bit in reverse until youre into the fibergla$$. Sand the edge of the hole into a chamfer to prevent any future chipping.

You cant beat having a cold one at your fingertips!

Before:

After:
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 10:04am
What happened to your carpet in the after picture. The original black plastic cup holders are good for cans and small water bottles, but nothing much bigger. I was considering changing mine to aluminum, but if you have to enlarge the holes, I think I will leave them alone.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 11:10am
David, you caught me. After I did all my floor repair last summer I anticipated putting in new carpet. When I rolled it out the 6' roll, I found that they shipped me 12 feet instead of 13 yards. With only a few days to go before the NE CCFan reunion, I had no choice but to place the old carpet back in and install the interior over it. Now that I have the carpet, I havent gotten around to installing it.

The new SS cupholders I put in were the same exact size as the plastic ones I removed from the pa$$enger size dash, so no cutting was involved. I think your '93 has that cupholder in a different place, though. My driver's cupholder was only big enough for a can and 2" deep, so it required some cutting. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 11:41am
No worries, I complety understand. My '93 has the exact same black plastic cup holder in the exact same place. It is the same as the spotters cup holder. They are big enough to hold a can of beer with a neoprene koozie. I just think the aluminum cup holders are cla$$y looking.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 11:45am
Two more questions:

1. What is the rotary knob for (located just below the voltage gauge or whichever gauge that is)?

2. What is the rotary selector for just above the horn switch?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 12:01pm
Answers:

1. M3Fan told me when I bought it, and I want to say it was a mount for a GPS unit. Ive removed it and the weather radio you can see in the old pic. I have to figure out a way to patch the holes in the vinyl or recover the dash.

2. Thats the heater switch. Ill probably relocate it to the glove box and wire the heater to turn on/off using one of the accessory breakers. If the heaters on, its always on high.
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 12:42pm
TRBenj,I saw those pics on another post & thats what made me want a cup holder.I found a stainless one at Boaters World for $15.00.It only fits a beer can & I will have to cut a 3 inch hole.I also bought a ridged 3 inck hole saw but I'm not sure if I can run it in reverse cause the teeth bend clockwise.I don't think I will cut into the dash for a stereo.Thanks,Dan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 12:50pm
Good find Dan. Mine are a little bit larger, I think theyre 4". You may already know, but theyre available at both White Lake Marine and SkiDIM.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 3:58pm
Dans, If you do proceed with drilling hols, the hole saw is run in reverse just to score and get through the gel coat. This will reduce the chances of chipping the gel. If you run your finger backwards accross the teeth of the hole saw you will notice some sharpness to it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 11:29am
Beer holders are exempt from the rules, the new rule should be: within an arms distance will a beer holder be installed from any point inside the boat and a backup may be installed for any empties while you are waiting for a fresh one...

8122 good damn idea,
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic