NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 8:56pm
any new pics skibum, sounds like you to have been hitting your boat pretty hard to.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 9:41pm

How about this pic. SkiBum Jr. says it is a Tribuchet. Some french artillary piece I guess. I had a whole day off but Jr. needed to get this project done for school monday. Can't ski behind it. Not sure what use it has. Jr. can fling a baseball about 150 feet across the yard with it though. Maybe tomorrow after chuch I can get some real work done.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 2:35pm
Haha, No Way! A Trebuchet!! i made one of those i think it was my sophomore year in Hs, good times, fun to see what kind of crazy sh*t you can toss around the yard with it, & how far you can get it to go, Looks good!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 2:39pm
the fruit dont fall far....
"the things you own will start to own you"
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 2:48pm
Very nice Eric, I liked that

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 2:55pm
in those days that would be considered a weapon of mass destruction, Where does your boy go to school?
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2007 at 6:34pm
Not quite a weapon of mass destruction, although the garage looks like it took a direct hit from such a weapon. Bum Jr. goes to Meade County High in Kentucky.
Bill
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 8:42pm
SkiBum, how much foam did you use? I know you said you could have poured it more efficiently? Could you expand on that a bit?
76 Ski Nautique
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Gangster Gangster wrote:

SkiBum, how much foam did you use? I know you said you could have poured it more efficiently? Could you expand on that a bit?

I used the 80lb kit and two 16lb kits. I believe that if I had been more careful I could have done the whole job with just the 80lb kit. Some of the pours were too thick and the foam raised above the floor level several inches. It was wasted. Eric reused that extra foam and mixed it into the next pour. That is a technique.

To avoid making the same mistakes I made I recommend cutting out small cardboard dams that can be taped into place. Be sure to stir exactly 22 seconds as per the instructions. After the expansion slows significantly, then move farther down with a new dam and make another pour. This will help you regulate the height of the pour and it will keep the liquid form of the foam from running out of where you are trying to pour.

I would suggest buying the 80lb kit and one 16lb kit as a backup.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 1:17pm
I ended up using 5 kits total(10 gallons before mixing) with a touch left in the last kit, I ended up using 8 gallons of resin and 1 roll of matte, I did have some waist but it was minimal
Skibum did you buy locally? Gangster you better do some price shopping on this stuff it does get pricey
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2007 at 7:51pm
All my glass, resin, fillers, foam, and gel came from US Composites. All structural work is epoxy with a variety of glass; mat, biaxial, and cloth. Mrs. SkiBum frequently reminds me that I spent just over one thousand dollars on materials.
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:07pm
You say $1000 like it is a big deal. The finish product is well worth the cost. Plus you practically have a brand new boat that you can sell for 10-13k
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:25pm
After searching I finally found a supplier in Canada who can sell me the foam and epoxy resin. However they only sell the fiberglass in 110 yard rolls. Eric you said you used a roll of mat? How many yards was on the roll you used?
76 Ski Nautique
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 8:41pm
Not to answer for Eric, but 110 yards seems like an awful lot. I used 10 yards of each: epoxy mat, biaxial mat, and cloth (plus 2", 4", and 8" 50yd rolls of cloth). That included the stringers and the all fiberglass floor repair. So, 110 yards may be a bit much?
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:10pm
Plus you will need various thicknesses for the project. You will never be able to make the 90 degree bends with just biaxial or mat. Like skibum said, you will need some 10oz cloth, biaxial, and mat to make all the necessary bends and buildups.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:03pm
Gangster why are they trying to sell you so much at once?
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 8:42pm
Well the company sells wholesale, but I can buy it through the company I work for. So I guess that's why they only sell such large quantities. I was able to buy 50 yd rolls of 2", 4" & 6" (no 8"). Can I ask a stupid question? Is mat = chopped strand? I am also curious - Skibum you started out to use fiberglass over plywood for the floor, then ended up going just fiberglass. If you had to do it again would you do the same?
By the way, here's something that might cheer up any Southerners... This was taken around March 1st, my snowmobile's buried!! I've got some time on this project...
76 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 9:02am
Just keep in mind that if you use epoxy resin, which you should, then you must use mat made for epoxy. Epoxy mat is sewn together rather than held together with a binder (like most). Epoxy resin will not desolve the binder in regular mat and thus is problematic.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 3:06pm
Gangster,

There is one floor section on the 87SN that is supposed to be wood. CC used 3/4" thick by 3" wide planks stapled to the stringers then covered with glass. The rest is glass over foam.

Before I knew the floor was primarily glass over foam I planned to use the 3ply laminated top and bottom with glass. I did that in a small area in the bow. It worked just fine. The idea was that I would save in materials cost because I could laminate a thin layer of glass on the bottom of the 3ply and two thin layers on top but still have a solid floor.

I opted to finish the boat using glass over foam. It really did not consume a significant amount of additional materials. I put down biaxial mat, epoxy mat, cloth, and epoxy mat to get a 3/8" to 1/4" thick layup. It was easy to level with fairing compound. I say it is the way to go.

The glass comes in several variations. I don't want to use the word "woven" because it may spark a huge debate, but basically cloth is interweaved glass that is very strong. It comes in a variety of thickness measured in ounces. I used primarily 10oz. It is thin. You can get it as thick as 28oz.

The mat is glass that is not "woven" but rather consists of loose strands of glass that are connected together by either a special glue or is stitched together. The kind that is stitched together is called epoxy resin. Polyester resins actually dissolve the glue in the mat where epoxy resin does not. Now you can use epoxy resin on mat that is not epoxy mat, but it will significantly slow your work because you must physically work the resin through the glass. Not the preferred method.

Biaxial is a special fabric that consists of epoxy mat sandwhiched between two layers of cloth and stitched together. It combines strength and thickness. Very good stuff, but very stiff and difficult to work on 90 deg angles.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 8:23pm
Gangster why is your snowmobile barried? If I had that kind of snow here, The boat could wait til spring. The lake will always be there, snow not so much an always.
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 2:13pm
I guess I was leaning towards the glassed wood because I haven't much experience with fiberglass so far. Maybe after I get into it I'll gain the nerve. As for the burried sled, there's no shortage of riding. I get 2 months of nice boating, and about 4 months of sledding.
76 Ski Nautique
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 9:20pm
Gangster,

Any glasswork is glasswork. I learned it is more labor intensive to laminate both sides of a piece of wood then install the wood as apposed to simply layering glass over the foam. If you are doing your stringers as well as the floor you will be quite experienced by the time you finish the stringers.
Bill
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

I learned it is more labor intensive to laminate both sides of a piece of wood then install the wood as apposed to simply layering glass over the foam.

Interesting perspective. I've been staring at mine a lot trying to determine in my head how to do it. I would have thought the wood would be easier because you could coat it out of the boat where you have more room to work, and the pieces would fill up large spaces at a time when installed into the boat. Thinking about your statement however, has me thinking it through, yet again.

Took out two stringer today, so I better make up my mind soon. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 12:57am
I spent a lot of time going thru your posts and hope I learned from them. You have been an inspiration and I have accomplished more over the past 4 days than in months.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 10:21am
SkiBum, I hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to start a debate, but what about weight? Do you think all that glass & resin weighs more than glassed wood? My boat porpoised very bad before and I think/hope it was because of the weight.
76 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 12:29pm
Gangster,

I just cut the floor out of the 82, and I can definitely say that the fiberglass is lighter than the wood/glass combo. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 4:47pm
Gangster, you may of had saturated foam adding alot of weight to the boat, the foam is very dense when wet.
it is a touch easier glassing over the foam and my presonal preference is using wood, it lets you screw everything together and Im use to doing glass work on flimsey fountains and other paperthin hulled boats and with wood you can build a skelton and make the repairs much more rigid, unlike a correct craft hull which is very well reinforced due to the way it's manufactured its a matter of personal preference, there are pro's and con's of both methods, i guess it comes down to whatever you would be more comfortable doing.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 6:41pm
Gangster,
I am with Eric as far as the weight. Wood laminated top and bottom with glass is significantly heavier than multiple layers of glass. I removed my entire floor in 3 sections. A section of glass is a fraction of the weight of a section of 3ply, much less than 1/2" plywood.

bkh,
I laminated all of the wood that went into the boat. First there was cutting the glass to fit. Then laminate one side and let it cure. Trim the edges, flip it over and laminate the other side. Time consuming and labor intensive. Cutting out floor pieces requires transcribing the shape of the floor onto wood, cutting out the right shape, then laminating both sides. Once installed you have to glass it to the hull and stringers.

In comparison it was relatively easy to lay out the glass and cut it fit. Then saturate everything with resin and add the glass. Once the first layer of glass is in place the other layers are very easy. Imperfections are easily filled with fairing compound. The floor is solid and it is tightly sealed to the hull and stringers.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 6:51pm
I'm definitely with you Bum. You have me rethinking the process.

Question: I pulled two stringers out yesterday. It looks almost like the floor was laid, wet and thick, and the stringers were pushed down into it 1/4 to 1/2 inch. So, my question is, how far down did you grind? I though I remember reading that you put down two layers of mat and set the stringers down into that. If so, my assumption is that you ground down abut 1/16 of an inch below where the stringers were sitting when removed.

Thanks,

BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 7:01pm
bkh,
I acually grinded all of that off level with the floor. This is where the stringers were "bedded" onto the hull. Once I grinded it down I cleaned it with acetone. A strip remained where I could identify the correct position of the stringer.

Then I used epoxy mat in two layers that were heavily saturated. This bed compresses where needed and expands slightly to fill voids. I ended up going back and filling small voids with 403 micro fibers. I would recommend using 404 instead because it is tiny glass strands not cotton like the 403.
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
  Share Topic